X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Found a decent article on prone bipod use...

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Interesting new sling from LaRue:

Drifter

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
        Interesting new sling from LaRue:

http://www.laruetactical.com/optimized-sniper-sling
        That looks interesting!
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Armored Transport

I load forward and use a GG&G pod. I have them on a black gun and a 16lb. 300RUM and I think they are top of the line. I like the design of that LaRue sling. May have to look into one. Looks like a good way to load on a slick surface....

Comment

• Flyguy11
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Todd Hodnett from Accuracy 1st in the video, "The Art of The Precision Rifle" recommended to pre-load the bipod the same amount each time. Magpul produced the video series and Todd changed my mind on a lot of thing I though I knew.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

I was taught to load the bipod.

As 52' says, these are light guns and need to be locked-in to bring the group sizes down. Bench-Rest and F Class bolt guns have the advantage of weight to make their shooting platform stable but AR's are designed to be light for movement and human hunting. AR shooters have to improvise if they want to add stability to their shooting platform.

I pull the gun back into the shoulder with the three fingers of the shooting hand. At the same time push the gun forwards with the shoulder loading-up the bipod. This is an isometric movement not unlike the old push/pull of double-handed handgun shooting. As you know Isometrics add strength to a system. It also mitigates jump in the recoil as there is a downward vector to that forward movement in the tilt of the bipod.

You can also mitigate jump in an AR by making it temporarily heavier. I have seen saddlebags filled with lead shot draped over the top of handguards (if not using night vision clip-on). Or a slab of metal attached to the underside pulling the handguard down like in this photo. This weight is 4lbs and attaches to the Keylock holes of an AI AX handguard. It is also 3" wide so designed to track in a standard Bench-Rest front rest.

Weight and forward pressure on the bipod adds stability by compressing whatever spongy surface you are on. An old F-Class trick is to add weight to the forward rest support, compressing the grass on rifle range mounds. They also use long rest legs (limited by the rules to 2") and spike them into the ground like a tent peg.

Seen in these photos are the front and rear supports for shooting on grass or soft sand. The front ground support is a welded T shape of steel stock. It adding 7lbs of weight to the system and is designed to compressing the soil below. There is a bar at the front for bipod legs to load-up against. There are also three small holes drilled into the platform for when using a rest. The rear platform has coarse sandpaper glued on the surface to stop the rear bag from sliding around.

Of course none of this adding weight is practical if you are using the AR for its original design intention; hunting. But for load development and accuracy testing you can transform the AR into a temporary Bench Rest gun. Otherwise it is making do with what you've got at the time and that means loading the bipod as best you can and locking it in.

(Rambozo's idea of the foot sling is a brilliant innovation...Well done Sir!).

Comment

Working...
              X