Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrSurgicalPrecision

To Preload or Not to Preload?

So I kinda think bipods are a necessary evil sometimes. I prefer shooting off of anything that's not attached to the rifle. But when you're shooting prone, do you preload your bipod or not? I have a set of Pod Claws on my Harris and I load my bipod up, but not really that heavily. Just interested to hear everyone else's thoughts.

I used to preload but found it didn't make any noticeable difference. Having one less thing to think about helps me concentrate on other elements of my technique.

--Rootshot

Comment

I was always taught to pre-load and it works especially if follow ups are to be made or a belt fed is being used.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

If I don't load the bipod, POI is usually ~1 moa higher versus shooting from bags.
        Drifter

Comment

• mtn_shooter

I do. Much better for spotting hits on steel.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

OK Guys:

Some folks reading this don't know that you mean by 'preloading'. Although I know what it means, it isn't a term I have heard until now to describe putting force on the bipod.

So, for the benefit of guys who don't know or only have a vague notion of what you guys mean, what type of force is applied, in what direction, how much, and why?

LR1955

Comment

• MrSurgicalPrecision

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              OK Guys:

Some folks reading this don't know that you mean by 'preloading'. Although I know what it means, it isn't a term I have heard until now to describe putting force on the bipod.

So, for the benefit of guys who don't know or only have a vague notion of what you guys mean, what type of force is applied, in what direction, how much, and why?

LR1955
              Good point, and I've always called it preloading. Wasn't aware of any other terms for it. I apply forward pressure on the rifle by basically inching my body forward until I'm applying a light force against my bipod legs through my shoulder against the buttstock of the rifle. I don't load up really heavy, I just apply enough force to get the feet to dig in, but that's probably much more force than you can apply to a set of standard bipod feet. I've found it to help a little bit in more rapid re-engagements, but haven't seen a shift in accuracy or POI.

Comment

I load my bipod, always have. Was taught taht way. You push forward on the rifle (if you can get traction or have something to push against) putting pressure against the legs of the bipod.

By loading the bipod, it takes up alot of the possible movements. It keeps the legs from sliding and helps you get your buttstock tight against your shoulder. It also immoblilizes the front of the weapon. When firing, it takes out almost all of the jump of the muzzle and allows for a very fast follow up shot. This is very important when hunting or shooting at those who are shooting back. I've never been a fan of using sand bags. They just let the muzzle jump and you have to work at getting your rilfe back into position after the shot. Granted, you use what you can in given situations. If all I have is a tree limp or a sand bag to use then they are more than fine. But, if I have a choice I prefer the bipod and prefer to load up the legs.

Comment

Especially with the AR and auto-loaders in general, if you let them "free-recoil" from a relatively relaxed position, the groups tend to open-up quite a bit. The AR requires some definite muscling, without muscling your sight picture and trigger manipulation...a tough balancing act really.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
                    I was always taught to pre-load and it works especially if follow ups are to be made or a belt fed is being used.
                    Me too.
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                      If I don't load the bipod, POI is usually ~1 moa higher versus shooting from bags.
                      Sounds like a mild case of "pod hop". I get that with unloaded Harris bipods if I shoot prone on concrete. Depending on the rifle, mine go higher and the group opens up too. It really pisses you off until you figure out what the problem is.
                      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Yeah, this is something I have been learning to contend with when I moved over to shooting the .308 prone.

To answer the question, yes, but it depends on the pod. Something like a harris is harder to control. A Sinclair F-Class pod is easy as pie. I'm using a home build that I made out of angle aluminum (18" wide x 9" tall). I think bounce is as much from the torque of the rifle as it is the recoil. In this way, I think a wide bipod helps a lot. Still, linear recoil is a factor, and loading the pod helps. Ultimately though, I think it's a matter of having good feet. Sliding feet are better I think.

Still though, loading the pod makes a world of difference.

Here is something to consider if you don't shoot F-Class. Make what I call a foot sling. It won't be competition legal, but it works damn well. Run a piece of 1" webbing from the bipod or front swivel stud back to a loop that loops around your foot on the shooting side, making the strap run straight back below the stock and under the knee. Then have it equipped with a slip buckle that you use to cinch the rifle into your shoulder with. Lean into it. This is incredibly solid. Below is a picture of me doing this.

I got away from doing this though, as it's not competition legal. Have a PST on there now.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2011, 01:08 AM.

Comment

I know this is a way old thread but Here is my two cents anyway. when I am shooting prone off a bipod, I alway preload. I got into that habit with my bolt action .308. Preloading the bipod does three things for me. 1, it helps with bipod hop. 2, it helps me keep the muzzle on target during the recoil pulse (driving the rifle). 3, it forces me to get strait behind the rifle ( its near impossible for me to load the bipod with a canted shooting position.)

Comment

• ericv
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2011

I read this thread and I did not know what preload was. My father taught my brother and I safe gun handling and basic shooting skills when we were kids but no advanced skills. So I tried this new to me technique and what a difference this made.

Thanks guys
                            Eric
                            Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
                            www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

OK, me also...load... Now what Bipod do you like best for these "Black Rifles"...????

Comment

Working...
                              X