Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: New Cartridge Developments and Implications for Dismounted Infantry Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    If you have DMs like you should, then the SAWs and DMs are the most casualty-producing duty positions when trained properly.

As a retired 11c Mortar man, I would have to disagree with this statement
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    [/COLOR][/B]
    Within the Infantry Platoon. If it's Company or Battalion level, then Scout Platoon Recon Teams and good FOs in the line Platoons with comms with indirect assets will be the most of course.

Ask anyone here how I feel about mortars. I would exchange my collection of long range rifles for a mortar and a good supply of HE.

It's all fun to shoot little bullets on target, but I much preferred calling in 81s.

But again, with the Platoon, your belt-feds and DMs are going to be the main guys with high hit probability on target, whereas a lot of people outside of the profession get fixated on riflemen, not even knowing what weapons are MTO&E in an Infantry Platoon or Company.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Ask yourself. The quoted post referenced the value and exception for mortars specifically in the previous sentences. I think it was skimmed? Not that I could blame anyone, this is page 13 of a good discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kswhitetails View Post
    Ask yourself. The quoted post referenced the value and exception for mortars specifically in the previous sentences. I think it was skimmed? Not that I could blame anyone, this is page 13 of a good discussion.
    Oh no, I read it all. Still had to find a spot for a shameless "high angle hell" plug somewhere, I understood what he was saying.
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

A lot of our military discussion here have often ended up with the conclusion that we need a much lighter, Platoon and even Squad-level mortar system.

These systems already exist, like iMortar.

Combine it with PGM, and warhead size is not as important, especially in semi-permissive ROE.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Oh no, I read it all. Still had to find a spot for a shameless "high angle hell" plug somewhere, I understood what he was saying.
    Need a "like" button.

Shameless, indeed.

Reminds me of a story Eugene Sledge told in his book With the Old Breed. On Peleliu, there was a group of Japanese massing for attack in a tightly enclosed rock ravine that no direct fires of any caliber could dislodge. Experienced mortarmen disregarded illogical order from inexperienced lieutenant and dropped a volley into the crevasse. Attack never came. Later found torn-up bodies of 40 to 50 japs. Problem solved.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL :: Make ARs Great Again ::

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::