• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
    Stan, do not just buy a whole rifle, save some money and get the Templar MCWS, you can then only buy an extra bbls, bolt, mags and gas blocks for each caliber change
    Randall, is that the FastRail (I think it's called) that was shown in another thread? Requires a special tool to change barrels?

I've tried three different times to access the Templar site to check on it, but each time Internet Explorer locked up. It's too much hassle to reboot the computer, so I'm not gonna try again.

Comment

• Bob is still working on the site, yeah that is the rail.

The bbl nut is 2" long and case hardened steel.

The wrench is pretty much an armorers wrench on steroids.

It has three prongs which fit into three of the four slots on the nut.

It is laser cut and has slots for the buffer tube and squares for both 1/2" and 3/8" drive torque wrenches

Unlike many manufacturers the Templar Fast Rail comes WITH the wrench!

There is not a bad side to it, it comes with everything you need and the wrench is fantastically sturdy and well made.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2011, 05:10 AM.

Comment

• Stan, custom does not have to cost more, in fact your could really get a great rifle for cheap.

You need to make a list of requirements and then contact someone like Bob, we can find the parts and then it is a minimal fee to assemble.

It is not like you want a rifle to compete and win in the sniper comp at USSOCOM.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
          Stan, custom does not have to cost more, in fact your could really get a great rifle for cheap.

You need to make a list of requirements and then contact someone like Bob, we can find the parts and then it is a minimal fee to assemble.
          Thanks, Randall. I probably wouldn't even consider an AR15 if Ruger made the Mini-30 in 6.5 Grendel. But I'll definitely keep that in mind, should I opt to get an AR. Of course, that assumes you don't withdraw the offer after seeing my new Special Weapons article...

Here's the teaser:

LATEST FIREARM NEWS FROM ALL BRANDS BROWSE BY BRAND Didn't find what you were looking for? Search CHECK OUT ATHLON OUTDOORS ORIGINAL VIDEO SERIES More Videos Tests and Product Reviews SUPPRESSORS & NIGHT VISION Didn't find what you were looking for? Search CONCEALED CARRY – Click to see all

BTW, do you happen to know of any source(s) for M60 machine gun flash suppressors? The only websites I found that offered such, showed them out of stock, with no backorder (IIRC).
          Last edited by stanc; 08-26-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Well, you can write whatever you like. I am not easily offended.

the 6.8SPC is a good enough round, just not good enough to replace 5.56mm IMHO.

With a better bullet design the 5.56 will beat it to 500m consistently

Negative on the M60 FH, the only ones I know that have them are attached to the M60, it would certainly be missed.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I started to say "friends don't let friends buy Ruger minis", but depending on what all you wrote...LOL. You might need a Ruger mini! J/K.
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

To tell the truth, I've never cared all that much for Ruger Mini's. However, I'm sorta old fashioned, with a fondness for birch wood and parkerized steel, over the black plastic and anodized aluminum of AR's.

Of course, the new Mini-30s are black plastic and stainless steel, but it's possible to put a wood stock on it and get the stainless refinished to at least look like parko'd steel.

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Dude, you're hopeless!!!

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Yup. And unrepentant about it, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by stanc View Post
                      To tell the truth, I've never cared all that much for Ruger Mini's. However, I'm sorta old fashioned, with a fondness for birch wood and parkerized steel, over the black plastic and anodized aluminum of AR's.

Of course, the new Mini-30s are black plastic and stainless steel, but it's possible to put a wood stock on it and get the stainless refinished to at least look like parko'd steel.
                      This is why I'm into the retro AR's as well...there's something about that early 1960's look that just bites you. Colt gray receivers, shiny black handguards and stock, or even the prototype rifles with wood or Bakelite furniture.

I currently have a few retro builds evolving into working carbines. First priority is the Model 605, which I have everything for, except the barrel work done. It's at the gunsmith to be profiled, and the FSB fitted. There are some other crazy things I'm doing with it that won't be visible on the outside. I'll post when finished. In the meantime, check this out:

The 605 was Colt's 1st "carbine" variant of the AR15/M16 line. Developed 64-65 it was listed in Colt's 1965 catalog as "CAR-15 carbine". It was basically a standard rifle w/the barrel shortened in front of the FSB to 15", all other parts are the same. There appear to be a number of variations using, auto, burst, auto & burst FCG's & even a mid-length gas system (believed to be a 1 off prototype). The 605 was not officially "adopted" by the military but did show up in small numbers on an apparent trial basis. "Delineating" the "correct" features of a 605 is difficult as there were a number of "variations" of it, most of the surviving pics of the era are of "tool room" rifles & most of the surviving rifles show a wide variation in "collectors" features. These "carbines" appear to have been built as almost "one offs' in most cases w/parts on hand at a time when there was a large changeover to many of the parts, along w/the fact there are different "models" of the 605, 605A, 605B etc w/different features.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Intriguing comment on the possibility of the USMC seeking a new intermediate cartridge:
                        We did have an ulterior motive. There was a pending requirement for a new intermediate caliber. If we could improve the consistency of the terminal effects of our current 5.56mm round and use it as a temporary solution, it would bridge the gap until we could get the requirement going for an intermediate caliber. The intermediate caliber requirement remains in the discussion phase.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-318-m855-and/

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

LSAT is going to be a game-changer I think. They've been doing a lot of operation testing with it in combat test units at Fort Benning. Look on the board in this photo:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            LSAT is going to be a game-changer I think. They've been doing a lot of operation testing with it in combat test units at Fort Benning. Look on the board in this photo:
                            I think it's great that they plan to develop 6.5mm CT ammo and carbine, but I fail to see how CT technology in any of the mentioned calibers is going to change the game, which is try to kill the other guy. AFAIK, the only real change CT promises is reduced weight. Otherwise it has the same limitations as weapons that fire conventional ammo.

BTW, I can't help but wonder if the "Cartridge Optimization Trade Study" was based on 6.5mm Scenar or MatchKing projectiles, or realistic military bullet designs. If the calculations were done using the match bullet BC, the conclusions may be a bit optimistic.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

I don't see a military bullet having any trouble at all getting match bullet BC. The machines can swage or machine any nose profile you care to design.

Now, match bullet accuracy would be more of a challenge on a mass scale, being more fussy to get everything perfectly consistent and concentric at a low price point.
                              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

What about heat management without the brass cartridge case?

Also, how much more space does the larger diameter cartridges take up? Maybe not much, but they do appear fatter.

Trading weight (great to reduce it!) for possible heat issues or too bulky ammo containers for number of rounds carried? I don't know squat about it, just wondering out loud....

Comment

Working...
                                X