6.5 Grendel Deer Kill/VA Doe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 Grendel Deer Kill/VA Doe

I took my first Grendel deer today in the afternoon. A nice doe very close. Using the Nosler 120 BT loading from Precision Arms. Observation:This round expends all of the energy going in. The exit wound was smaller than the entry and lots of trauma.

I did find the deer no problem and it did not go far. But had to cut away many ribs in order to hang over night. Great round. I might look for more controlled expansion next time but it definitely takes a deer down.

PD

Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2012, 11:47 PM.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Pete, congrats on a successful hunt! Now you're on a roll. . . .

John
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Congrats man, first blood on a Grendel is a good day.

Comment

Nice harvest, and cool camo job on the furniture. What distance, POA, and POI were experienced?

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Pete, nice doe-nice gun also! Yes the 120 Nos is a bit much, for expansion-close in. Let's see what the 123 SST gains us , before I plow forward with a few other designs. Meat in the freezer.

Comment

Oh, maybe ten yards, 45 degress down, entry 2" from rear of shoulder and high, exited just behind shoulder and low to sternum.

Comment

• PeteDavis
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2015

Experimental reply to see if I can....

Comment

• BlueDuck
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2015

Congrats! I've had similar results with the ballistic tip in my 6.5 Grendel. I killed a hog (distance was about 50 yards) several years ago using my 16" AA upper in 6.5 Grendel. The lead core of the120 grain ballistic tip separated from the jacket. A portion of the core completely penetrated the pig while the core remained under the hide on the off side of the shot. I guestimate the hog weighed around 75-100 pounds. I've been using the 120 TSX ever since and could not be happier with the penetrations results from the TSX. Again, nice deer and nice rifle!

Comment

Working...
                X