• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Damn, that's nice.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

It takes a lot out of me. This was the first bolt gun I've ever done. Here are a two other Grendel's I have done:

Comment

very nice!

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

That is one BADASS rifle!
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

The Savage was actually really easy to disassemble and get back together, as in the Accu-Trigger. I test-fired it with a primed case after a thorough functions-check.

The Accu-stock is a very economical, rigid stock chassis that works well, and I've seen this rifle in-action for 3 days straight, from sun-up until evening. It's a shooter, as one would expect from a Pac-Nor pipe. The barrel contour is a featherweight/lightweight profile I think.

One thing I noticed is that Savage used steel castings for the trigger guard, and bottom metal/magazine well. I'm not sure if there are aluminum after-market options there, but that would reduce the weight some more.

This rifle with optics is 8lbs, 11oz on my scale I think. When I called Savage CS to find out what type of screws were holding the very effective/spongy recoil pad in place, the lady on the phone knew right away, and was very polite.

I like the detachable magazine, which is made of quality construction, with a nice polished finish for feed reliability. It allows loading to over 2.400" COAL, so I think the 129gr SST might make a great bullet for this rifle, along with the 123gr SST. As soon as the 129gr Nosler Accubond Long-Range is available, it would be my first pill to test out in this rifle.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

I can't wait to try it myself! Still waiting on Shillen barrels to come in for my bolt action projects.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

PacNor matched the standard Savage Sporter barrel profile.

With hindsight, I would have ordered a Sharp Shooter Supply (or other quality manufacturer) recoil lug and barrel nut to replace the factory
                LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                  Mark Gordon of Short Action Customs is developing .223 and .300BLK conversion kits for the DTA SRS.

Seems like a 6.5 Grendel kit wouldn't be too far off.
                  Last week Mark mentioned that the .223 kit is almost ready for prime time, but that a 6.5 Grendel kit is a looooong way off.

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Savage Detachable Box Magazine for 7.62x39: p/n 55221

Comment

• rickt300
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

It is easy to remove the blade in the trigger as it only functions as a safety. I did not like the blade myself as it seemed to me as a form of creep or travel. Trigger works even better without the blade.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Bjorn, I just ordered the action wrench, barrel nut wrench and go, no-go gauges for a Savage barrel swap to a Creedmoor. You mention twice about regretting not buying a new recoil lug and barrel nut. I know it's not a lot of money but why?

These Savage builds are almost as much fun as building ARs. Love your Mod 10 Grendel build, sweet.

Also, the cheek riser you used, manufacturer? Where can I get one?
                        Last edited by 65Whelen; 01-10-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Slappy
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2014

That turned out to be a very nice looking rifle and looks like a shooter also. Very nice indeed!! Way to go!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
                            Bjorn, I just ordered the action wrench, barrel nut wrench and go, no-go gauges for a Savage barrel swap to a Creedmoor. You mention twice about regretting not buying a new recoil lug and barrel nut. I know it's not a lot of money but why?

These Savage builds are almost as much fun as building ARs. Love your Mod 10 Grendel build, sweet.

Also, the cheek riser you used, manufacturer? Where can I get one?
                            The OE recoil lug was not keyed...I had a helluva time keeping it correctly positioned when tightening the barrel nut...plus it was not "beefy" (stamped versus forged). The barrel nut would have also been easier to torque down with the old style barrel nut (grooved).

My first attempt at tightening resulted in the nut backing off after a while, so I had to re-accomplish the head spacing and barrel nut torque.

The "cheek riser" I got from SKD Tactical...PIG Rifle Stock Pack: http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Rifle-Stoc...-p/pig.669.htm

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
                              That turned out to be a very nice looking rifle and looks like a shooter also. Very nice indeed!! Way to go!! BANG BANG!!
                              Thanks! Cerakote courtesy of LRRPF2

Comment

• 65Whelen
                                Warrior
                                • Sep 2014

Thank you sir, helpful as always.

Comment

Working...
                                X