Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneTower

A hog from Tejon Ranch

Here is the pig I shot. It was a 2 1/2 day hunt at Tejon ranch in Southern California. It was shot on the final morning of the hunt and Jason (one of the guys I was hunting with) saw this hog and offered me the shot. He is a great guy.

Jason takes great pictures. The gun and the pig look great, but the hunter looks like he has not had a bath in 2 1/2 days

The 6.5 Grendel pushed a 100gr TTSX bullet which entered 2 inches below and about 2 inches back of her left ear. The entrance wound was small but the exit wound that was in front of the right rib was about 2.5" in diameter. The bullet was not recovered.

Many thanks to PA_ALLEN for his 100gr TTSX load. It made liquid out of everything between the entrance and exit hole.

This was a group hunt with 15 people on 276,000 acers. All the great people I met added to a wonderful weekend (and 41st birthday) that I will never forget.

Thanks to everyone who was there,

David

Did the hog drop or did it run at all?

Comment

Outstanding!!! Looks like the Grendel proved itself again. I'm really looking forward to hunting this year with the 6.5. How far a shot was it?

Comment

• StoneTower

The shot was only 86 yards. She turned end for end dropped like a rock. She did not move more than a foot.

Comment

The Grendel strikes again. Great job David. Nice looking pig. That will make a lot of good eating. Sounds like the hunt was a good capper for a 41st birthday. Congratulations.

Comment

• StoneTower

One of the other guys shot a similar sized hog with a 7mm Rem. Mag. at around the same time. They were hanging on the skinning rack at the same time. Both hogs were shot in a similar location, but the exit wound of the Grendel was larger. I am a believer that selecting a bullet that performs well at the velocity the caliber has to offer is the key to success. If the bullet does not expand, it is not going to do a lot of damage. If the bullet comes apart, you may not get the deep penetration that is required and you may be eating copper and lead fragments.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Nice hog

Comment

• PA_Allen
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Congrats and shooting!

Comment

• longdayjake

Though I know it is wrong to wish such a thing upon the ranchers and farmers here, I can't help but wish we had wild hogs around here that we could shoot.

Comment

• coastguardchas

I belong to area 18 at tejon ranch, shot a hog before the lead ban with 129 HNDY. down and out.. Chas

Comment

Very, very nice hog. I would have thought the 100gr bullet a little light. Thanks for the pics.....

Comment

I shot a similar size hog about 3 weeks ago with a Barnes 120gr TTSX. Similar results - it didn't move at all. It just rolled over.

--Rootshot

Comment

• StoneTower

I had a box of 120gr TTSX that I was going to use, but then I saw PA_ALLEN's load and I liked the increased speed as it shoots a lot flatter. The fact that these things hold together so well the extra speed is a big plus. If a 6.5 bullet hits a hog and goes completely through but does not expand, it does not matter if it was 50gr or 250gr. The bullet will make a 6.5mm diameter hole. It is important that the bullet does what it is suppose to and expands. If the velocity is too low, the bullet will not expand leaving a 6.5mm hole on exit. If you get one of these things to expand, it will leave a 2 1/2 exit hole. YMMV The other reason I chose his load is that he has the same LW barrel at the same length. He also was kind enough to include the drop chart for the 20" LW barrel which let me go to the range 2 days before (only one trip of 64 miles round trip) the trip and be ready to go. Thanks again PA_ALLEN

Comment

• PA_Allen
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                            ...... The other reason I chose his load is that he has the same LW barrel at the same length. He also was kind enough to include the drop chart for the 20" LW barrel which let me go to the range 2 days before (only one trip of 64 miles round trip) the trip and be ready to go. Thanks again PA_ALLEN
                            StoneTower,
                            You are quite welcome. I'm glad someone got some use out of the data I posted. I was able to shoot a doe whitetail last week with the same 100 TTSX load. I was "helping" a landowner who was working with the state wildlife department doing a reproductive study. Any way the doe was on high alert at about 150 yds when I shot her. I double lunged her, and she sprinted/stumbled for 40 yds or so before dropping. Her chest cavity was soup. Keep me informed of any other game you take with the 100 TTSX.
                            Best,
                            PA

Comment

• StoneTower

I will keep you informed of any other game I take with the 100 TTSX. Did the bullet pass through the doe? I would love to see a recovered bullet, but as long as I get a 2 1/2" exit is guess it is doing its job.

Comment

Working...
                              X