6.5 Grendel vs 264 lbc what are the differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 Grendel vs 264 lbc what are the differences?

I am looking at 2 barrels for my grendel build
    Midway's 20" Shilen 6.5G
    Midway's 20" Satern 264 lbc

What are the differences Chamber wise?, and how does it effect reloading?
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

Main difference is the throat length the chambers are pretty much the same the Grendel throat handles a wider array of bullets compared to the lbc
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• adrenaline junkie

It's pretty minute. There's a small difference in the throat angle, and the neck. You shouldn't have any problems reloading.

Is Satern even in business anymore? I thought they went under? Might want to stick to a barrel that the manufacturer will stand behind unless the price differnce is extreme?

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Satern is still in business...they make nice cut-rifled barrels
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

The compound throat angle in the SAAMI-spec for the Grendel gives the bullet a chance to be centered more precisely with the bore than even the tightest safely attainable neck diameter. The .300" diameter neck in the chamber allows for very good reliability with a wide variety of ammunition.

The result is an interesting combination of intrinsic accuracy and reliability.

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

My guess is they will both be shooters...I would not hesitate to take a Shilen (and I am partial to cut rifled barrels).
            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
              The compound throat angle in the SAAMI-spec for the Grendel gives the bullet a chance to be centered more precisely with the bore than even the tightest safely attainable neck diameter. The .300" diameter neck in the chamber allows for very good reliability with a wide variety of ammunition.

The result is an interesting combination of intrinsic accuracy and reliability.
              I spent a fair amount of time last month searching for a drawing of this compound chamber, but found none.

Comment

Both are match grade barrels, both will shoot .5MOA or better on average. The Satern is a cut rifle barrel and will erode slower than the button rifle barrel, therefore giving a longer accuracy life. I shoot both and enjoy both but in this case I would go with the Shilen.
                Bob

Comment

Working...
                X