+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Proper long term gun storage in PVC "obama tubes" underground.

Grendel-Gene

Proper long term gun storage in PVC "obama tubes" underground.

Unfortunately, I dont have any guns anymore (having sold them all last weekend at the gun show....) but... if i had any guns... and if i wanted to store them underground in a PVC "obama tube".... What kind of precautions or preparations would be recomendable?

I have thought that i would dismantle all my mags to relieve stress on the springs...

As for a desicant... ?how much? what could i use?

As for the guns themselves.... Do i pump the barrel full of automotive grease to keep it from rusting?

Ammo: Do i leave it in the obama tube with the gun? How do i prepare it for this kind of storage?

I would like to hear suggestions. Thanks.

Warrior
    i would put the rifle into rust free bags like these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-198 then put it into a 6 inch pvc pipe and glue the caps on each end you would have to cut the guns out but it would be water proof and safe

Gene - I don't think you need to dismantle your magazines. As for desicant - go to the local motorcycle dealer (Honda, Harley, whatever). Motorcycles are shipped with bags of desicant. Most shops just throw it away when they unpack and assemble the bikes. Bags are 4x6x2" (about 6-8 oz I guess). One bag per weapon/tube should be more than enough if tube is sealed good.
    Also, wouldn’t necessarily coat the bore w/grease. Good heavy coat of CLP on all parts should do the trick. Should be able to store ammo in same container with no issue.
    Used the above to store my weapons in a clear plastic Rubbermaid box sealed w/ Duct tape in a non-climate control storage space while I was overseas for a couple of years. Came home, no rust, not problem.

kegs
    Use rig on the metal, then seal it.

GRR gene,,, Try a coat of WD40- on everything. It would help if You actually had a rifle-of course. I feel your pain- the sling broke= Mine fell thru the 8" ice hole at Lake Superior while ice fish hunting last wknd. 1200 feet deep thar . Gonna miss it, hope obama sheds a tear for my ar-( nicknamed - the nailgun). I should have had the GPS along, oh well..
    So,( If I had my gun,) I would coat it-Vacu seal bag it, put in a pvc tube-seal tight=glue the heck out of the end caps-check for leaks, paint it a muddy color- wrap in heavy rusty chain, sink in an accessable pond, etc. for easy access-wade to-or swim to idea-or dig a 5 ft. vertical hole- place a 2" thick sphere of lead over the top of the tube before the sod= maybe the metal detector in the obama ghetto bird won't detect the steel inside. Ground is frozen here , Lucky to have ice on the lakes, great way to lose things-hee hee!
    I better contact my ins. co.-homeowners policy should cover the loss. Sniff.

vanguard138
    Nice story....:-) Fishing with a grendel.

Allen
    I would just add a quart of motor oil and coat everything.

Grendel-Gene
    Quote Originally Posted by sneaky one View Post
    GRR gene,,, Try a coat of WD40- on everything. It would help if You actually had a rifle-of course. I feel your pain- the sling broke= Mine fell thru the 8" ice hole at Lake Superior while ice fish hunting last wknd. 1200 feet deep thar . Gonna miss it, hope obama sheds a tear for my ar-( nicknamed - the nailgun). I should have had the GPS along, oh well..
    So,( If I had my gun,) I would coat it-Vacu seal bag it, put in a pvc tube-seal tight=glue the heck out of the end caps-check for leaks, paint it a muddy color- wrap in heavy rusty chain, sink in an accessable pond, etc. for easy access-wade to-or swim to idea-or dig a 5 ft. vertical hole- place a 2" thick sphere of lead over the top of the tube before the sod= maybe the metal detector in the obama ghetto bird won't detect the steel inside. Ground is frozen here , Lucky to have ice on the lakes, great way to lose things-hee hee!
    I better contact my ins. co.-homeowners policy should cover the loss. Sniff.

How deep do you think can those metal detectors detect?? In other words, how deep underground is deep enough?

Marksmanship Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel-Gene View Post
    Unfortunately, I dont have any guns anymore (having sold them all last weekend at the gun show....) but... if i had any guns... and if i wanted to store them underground in a PVC "obama tube".... What kind of precautions or preparations would be recomendable?

I have thought that i would dismantle all my mags to relieve stress on the springs...

As for a desicant... ?how much? what could i use?

As for the guns themselves.... Do i pump the barrel full of automotive grease to keep it from rusting?

Ammo: Do i leave it in the obama tube with the gun? How do i prepare it for this kind of storage?

I would like to hear suggestions. Thanks.
    Gene:

Why? You live in Texas.

This stuff is kind of funny. Spend a couple of thousand dollars on things and bury them somewhere.

LR1955

Grendel-Gene
    Quote Originally Posted by LR1955 View Post
    Gene:

Why? You live in Texas.

This stuff is kind of funny. Spend a couple of thousand dollars on things and bury them somewhere.

LR1955

LR, I am not getting what you are saying.... Isnt Texas still part of the Union? If so, wouldn't FEDERAL GUN bans affect us as well? True, on a state level I am not too concerned... But the FEDS, that's where the trouble is ( imagine that? )!!!

+ Reply to Thread