Proper long term gun storage in PVC "obama tubes" underground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

Proper long term gun storage in PVC "obama tubes" underground.

Unfortunately, I dont have any guns anymore (having sold them all last weekend at the gun show....) but... if i had any guns... and if i wanted to store them underground in a PVC "obama tube".... What kind of precautions or preparations would be recomendable?

I have thought that i would dismantle all my mags to relieve stress on the springs...

As for a desicant... ?how much? what could i use?

As for the guns themselves.... Do i pump the barrel full of automotive grease to keep it from rusting?

Ammo: Do i leave it in the obama tube with the gun? How do i prepare it for this kind of storage?

I would like to hear suggestions. Thanks.
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

i would put the rifle into rust free bags like these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-198 then put it into a 6 inch pvc pipe and glue the caps on each end you would have to cut the guns out but it would be water proof and safe
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Michael
      Warrior
      • Jan 2012

Gene - I don't think you need to dismantle your magazines. As for desicant - go to the local motorcycle dealer (Honda, Harley, whatever). Motorcycles are shipped with bags of desicant. Most shops just throw it away when they unpack and assemble the bikes. Bags are 4x6x2" (about 6-8 oz I guess). One bag per weapon/tube should be more than enough if tube is sealed good.
      Also, wouldn’t necessarily coat the bore w/grease. Good heavy coat of CLP on all parts should do the trick. Should be able to store ammo in same container with no issue.
      Used the above to store my weapons in a clear plastic Rubbermaid box sealed w/ Duct tape in a non-climate control storage space while I was overseas for a couple of years. Came home, no rust, not problem.
      I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
      - Voltaire

Comment

Use rig on the metal, then seal it.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

GRR gene,,, Try a coat of WD40- on everything. It would help if You actually had a rifle-of course. I feel your pain- the sling broke= Mine fell thru the 8" ice hole at Lake Superior while ice fish hunting last wknd. 1200 feet deep thar . Gonna miss it, hope obama sheds a tear for my ar-( nicknamed - the nailgun). I should have had the GPS along, oh well..
          So,( If I had my gun,) I would coat it-Vacu seal bag it, put in a pvc tube-seal tight=glue the heck out of the end caps-check for leaks, paint it a muddy color- wrap in heavy rusty chain, sink in an accessable pond, etc. for easy access-wade to-or swim to idea-or dig a 5 ft. vertical hole- place a 2" thick sphere of lead over the top of the tube before the sod= maybe the metal detector in the obama ghetto bird won't detect the steel inside. Ground is frozen here , Lucky to have ice on the lakes, great way to lose things-hee hee!
          I better contact my ins. co.-homeowners policy should cover the loss. Sniff.

Comment

• vanguard138

Nice story....:-) Fishing with a grendel.

Comment

I would just add a quart of motor oil and coat everything.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                GRR gene,,, Try a coat of WD40- on everything. It would help if You actually had a rifle-of course. I feel your pain- the sling broke= Mine fell thru the 8" ice hole at Lake Superior while ice fish hunting last wknd. 1200 feet deep thar . Gonna miss it, hope obama sheds a tear for my ar-( nicknamed - the nailgun). I should have had the GPS along, oh well..
                So,( If I had my gun,) I would coat it-Vacu seal bag it, put in a pvc tube-seal tight=glue the heck out of the end caps-check for leaks, paint it a muddy color- wrap in heavy rusty chain, sink in an accessable pond, etc. for easy access-wade to-or swim to idea-or dig a 5 ft. vertical hole- place a 2" thick sphere of lead over the top of the tube before the sod= maybe the metal detector in the obama ghetto bird won't detect the steel inside. Ground is frozen here , Lucky to have ice on the lakes, great way to lose things-hee hee!
                I better contact my ins. co.-homeowners policy should cover the loss. Sniff.

How deep do you think can those metal detectors detect?? In other words, how deep underground is deep enough?

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post
                  Unfortunately, I dont have any guns anymore (having sold them all last weekend at the gun show....) but... if i had any guns... and if i wanted to store them underground in a PVC "obama tube".... What kind of precautions or preparations would be recomendable?

I have thought that i would dismantle all my mags to relieve stress on the springs...

As for a desicant... ?how much? what could i use?

As for the guns themselves.... Do i pump the barrel full of automotive grease to keep it from rusting?

Ammo: Do i leave it in the obama tube with the gun? How do i prepare it for this kind of storage?

I would like to hear suggestions. Thanks.
                  Gene:

Why? You live in Texas.

This stuff is kind of funny. Spend a couple of thousand dollars on things and bury them somewhere.

LR1955

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    Gene:

Why? You live in Texas.

This stuff is kind of funny. Spend a couple of thousand dollars on things and bury them somewhere.

LR1955

LR, I am not getting what you are saying.... Isnt Texas still part of the Union? If so, wouldn't FEDERAL GUN bans affect us as well? True, on a state level I am not too concerned... But the FEDS, that's where the trouble is ( imagine that? )!!!

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

I am trying to locate some large diameter PVC pipe but my local Homeless Depot only carries up to 4 inch. My nearest Lowes has some 6 inch stuff.... but i think that would be pretty tight... but maybe i can make it work. I am also thinking that i want one end to have a thread-on cap because it will be a bitch to try to fight that cap on without anyway to relieve the air pressure in the tube... Don't you think? . And i haven't even started to price fittings. I may have to wind up going to an industrial pipe supply place. I imagine a decent obama tube may cost a few bucks when its all said and done... But worth every penny of course!!!

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

I'm sorry but I can't even bring myself to joke about bowing down to these tyrants, hiding my guns, and keeping my head down hoping they won't come for me and my family.

I've never in my life gone out looking for a fight. I hope to God we're all worried about events that will never come to pass, that cooler heads will prevail, that the American people will wake up, that the second coming of Reagan will bring us back to the right, and that a fight with our government will never happen again.

That being said I've never ran from a fight in my life, and I'm sure as hell not about to start now!

If they want my weapons, MOLON LABE!

If they want to do away with my constitution they will come through me to do so!

Semper Fi!
                        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

8" PVC is common at irrigation supply places. Shouldn't be too hard.

I prefer the screw in endcaps, then a bead of silicone.

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Coat metal with Conoco spindle grease or cosmoline such as the Auto Mates brand. Try to separate any wood as over a long time it can deteriorate from the grease. Coat the wood with any wood polish like pledge. Believe me it works. Use 8 inch heavy pvc pipe. The end caps can be slip, or screw on. If the slip cap is used you can use the normal pvc cement but you will have to cut it open to gain access. An alternate method is to coat the pipe and cap with generous amounts of regular grease and slowly push on the cap to allow the inside pressure to stabilize. This will form a water tight seal that can be accessible with out cutting the tube. It can be fairly difficult to remove but not impossible using a small hammer and wood punch. Before placing the item in to the tube one can wrap the item being cache in the plastic it was purchased with or Valpon rust preventive paper used in the automobile industry . Putting silica gel in a card board container and this into the tube could help but all it will do is absorb the moisture in the tube. If the cache is done by a wood stove or where there is low humidity this would probably be unnecessary. Ask any local heavy equipment construction business where they purchase their sewer or drain supply's from because you are making a fishing rod case, map case or anything else you can think of and are having a difficult time finding the correct size. I'm sure they will be happy to tell you or even sell you some from their inventory or scraps.

Comment

Most of the rifles I use frequently are bolt actions so I have little to worry about. I lent my semi autos to my brother-before he died, I better check and find out what happened to them... So... Just as a matter of curiosity, all those little springs and itty bitty parts in a AR, what do you do with them? Put them in a bag? Leave them in?

Comment

Working...
                              X