At last, a 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordering, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tech09 View Post
      any clues to the cool new things?
      I will keep quiet about your first clue...

Comment

• Rare_Breed

Ordered mine

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          I will keep quiet about your first clue...
          Heehee ROFL

I'm gonna guess some two letter abbreviations:

TB in Ti ? If so, how many Oz.? And how many Db? I know they don't post numbers, but someone needs to do a comparo or something.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Originally posted by Variable View Post
            Heehee ROFL

I'm gonna guess some two letter abbreviations:

TB in Ti ? If so, how many Oz.? And how many Db? I know they don't post numbers, but someone needs to do a comparo or something.
            Let me put it this way. Their .300 BLK 5" can weighs 9 oz. It's basically weightless. I think we'll have some good video material to work with by this summer for the Grendel community.

All I can say is for those who don't have a can, or are in the market for one, you really need to look at TBAC. Get your paperwork started now and thank me later.

Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

Not sure if this is the best spot to ask, but if you get a stamp and a can, I have heard it is ok to use it on as many weapons as you like. Do you need to have a specific can for every diameter or can you just put a thread adapter on that bad boy and use it for everything form .45 to .22?

I have thought of seeing if I can establish a trust in our home state of record. Is that gambit a no-brainer, or is only a good solution in some cases, or none at all?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

it is ok to use the can on any weapon you like but they are caliber specific but you can shoot under size but not over for instance you can soot 223 through a 30 cal can but not 45 also a trust is a good way to go as it allows any members of the trust to use the suppresor ie your wife ,kids, friends and it can then be passed on to members of the trust in the event of your death
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

What Mongoose said. I haven't went the trust route yet, so I'm not that up on them, but I'll likely go with a trust from here on out for the reasons he mentioned.

I use my .30 cal. can on 7.62, 6.5 Grendel, and 5.56. On 5.56 there isn't much difference between my 5.56 can (AAC M4-2000 old version) and my .30 can (AAC 7.62SD) soundwise. You just trade weight (.30 cal is bigger & heavier) for wider utility. If I come across a 6.5 can that is significantly lighter but still as quiet as my .30 can, then I might consider getting another one. I just need to find someone in my area so I can hear one first. I'd like to hear it before I buy, and I want to be sure the new Ti cans don't spark at night.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

If it will thread on a 5.56 it would also thread on a Ruger MK III then huh? I guess .45 would be just too much gap deficit from .22 huh? Still to be able to do Blackout, AK, Grendel, .223 alone would be pretty sick.

Is it ok to shoot frangible rounds through a can sized for the caliber you are using. I have heard you can't, yet it seems counter-intuitive to me that one would be keen to have the rounds hitting the inside of the can anyhow.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                      If it will thread on a 5.56 it would also thread on a Ruger MK III then huh? I guess .45 would be just too much gap deficit from .22 huh? Still to be able to do Blackout, AK, Grendel, .223 alone would be pretty sick.

Is it ok to shoot frangible rounds through a can sized for the caliber you are using. I have heard you can't, yet it seems counter-intuitive to me that one would be keen to have the rounds hitting the inside of the can anyhow.
                      Thread on your MKIII? Yes, but not advised. Rimfires deposit a lot of crap (lead and carbon), so a rimfire can designed to be disassembled and cleaned is a much better choice. The weight would be bad too.

Definitely don't try any caliber larger than specified by the manufacturer. They leave wiggle room for a reason. Crashing your can will ruin your day. Stamps aren't cheap, and the waiting times aren't short either.LOL

Frangible? Usually not recommended, and I wouldn't. It would depend on the projectiles design though. If it comes apart early (or sheds any fragments) your can won't be happy....

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

I never even dreamed of that about .22LR. wow

Have you ever thought of the kind where you use oil filters on a stamped nut? Theoretically you can just replace the filter like every time. It would be cheaper if a frangible gave your can a bad day after all...but perhaps not a great alternative to an awesome titanium can. lol

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                          I never even dreamed of that about .22LR. wow

Have you ever thought of the kind where you use oil filters on a stamped nut? Theoretically you can just replace the filter like every time. It would be cheaper if a frangible gave your can a bad day after all...but perhaps not a great alternative to an awesome titanium can. lol
                          Nah, I wouldn't waste my time and stamp on an oil filter can. They are only slightly one step above any other field expedient suppressor. Once I jump through the hoops to keep it legal, I want something real and substantial for my money. Solid repeatable performance and accuracy are something you should expect once you have to go through the effort of being legal.

If we had no NFA (and I was just goofing around), I wouldn't have any qualms about tinkering with disposable cans. Buuut, I want the best suppressors I can get when it involves a non-refundable $200 tax, annoying paperwork, a quite lengthy wait, and they are pretty much unsellable in the used market.

You buy a can = $200 dollars to register it to you on a form 4. When you try to sell it, it costs another $200 to roll it off of your form 4 to someone else in your state... Example: $500 can + $200 tax = $700 can. You have $700 in your used can (once you shoot it). You want to sell it to your neighbor? He has to choke up $200 to roll it off of you to him. It stacks up fast. To cross state lines requires $200 to roll it off your form 4 onto a form 3 (for dealer transfer) then it costs another $200 to roll it onto a form 4 to an individual in another state. This doesn't even count dealer fees to handle paperwork...

When you buy a can, make sure you really want it, and buy the best one you can afford. They are kind of like wives, don't hang a ring on one unless you are sure they're a keeper! They cost too much to get rid of.LOL

Now I'll shut up and stop de-railing this thread! We can discuss cans in another thread.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

Thanks very much.

I am sorry for derailing the thread.

Say...I sure am looking forward to getting that reloading book! : )

Comment

Order placed!

Comment

• vanguard138

Order placed:-)

Comment

Working...
                                X