Designated Marksmen Training in Utah/Idaho/Nevada/Colorado/Wyoming Region

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designated Marksmen Training in Utah/Idaho/Nevada/Colorado/Wyoming Region

I'd like to put out a heads-up for the 6.5 Grendel community regarding some of the training I have been running, and offer it to the horde.

Living in the Rocky Mountain region, with all the excellent terrain and shooting areas that we have, there are some great opportunities to learn to employ our carbines and rifles in more realistic shooting scenarios, from varying positions. I want to get away from the strictly long-range rifle posture with this course, and focus on working with lighter weight carbines and rifles that need to be brought into play quickly from those who have to carry the rifle over terrain, find hasty positions, and deliver highly-accurate fire on-target under stressful time constraints.

My background is rooted in service with 3 different Scout Sniper Platoons & other reconnaissance units, to include several deployments in Asia, Central America, the Middle East, and continuing work with our NATO & coalition partners.

Korean DMZ Sniper Training 1997

OIF1 82nd Airborne 2003

I have associations with several other military veterans with highly-qualified resumes & skill sets in this area, to include SOTIC/SFARTAETC-trained shooters with decades of operational experience per instructor.

We have access to the North Springs Shooting Range, which is one of the Nation's largest shooting centers, as well as field ranges for out-of-the-box practical scenario-based exercises. What we are offering is a more complete training package with not only an intense focus on practical marksmanship with your weapon, but getting off the flat range, moving with your weapon and equipment, and learning to undergo the proactive process of quick decision-making to resolve your ultimate success against targets of immediate threat & opportunity, how to support other dismounted units in mountainous terrain, and how to use optics to enhance your unit's situational awareness capabilities.

The Basic Course includes:

Brief Instruction on the Duties & Responsibilities of Designated Marksmen
    Tables of Organization & Equipment Recommendations
    Capabilities & Limitations of the DM
    Camouflage and intro to Fieldcraft
    Priority Targets
    Combined Arms & Coordination with Organic Assets to the Dismounted Infantry Unit
    Precision Marksmanship Fundamentals
    Use of Practical Rifle Optics in the DM role
    Shooting in Conditions/Ballistics Application in Field
    Snap-Shooting from Cover * (one of the most critical marksmanship skills)
    Field Expedient Positional Shooting
    Individual Movement Techniques Revised
    Working as a DM Pair (participant dependent)

....and a whole laundry list of other aspects of this skill set that I would love to go on about, but I think you get the point. I really have a great time running this type of training. Combined with your basic & intermediate flat range Close Quarters Marksmanship courses that many of you have already done, this will really round out your skill set base as a rifleman. For those of us who are constantly pursuing excellence in training, we already understand our duty as law-abiding citizens of martial age and our responsibilities to society. Being a great rifleman should be something we are constantly chasing, with our goals set higher and higher each time.

We are not trying to get rich quick, and are more driven by sharing these skill sets with like-minded countrymen, so pricing will depend on attendee numbers, but will be more than reasonable. Class sizes will be kept at a minimum to ensure safety and quality service to you. We want to keep instruction-to-student ratios as close to 1-2 as possible.

From the LEO working in our National Forests, to the hunter, you will gain new ways of addressing your skills as a rifleman in this course.

Preferred long arm should have the following characteristics:

Reliable Semi-Auto
    Free-floated barrel capable of 1.5~2 MOA out to 600yds
    Ammunition capable of same
    Quality Optic Mount, QD a plus
    Quality Compact Rifle Optic with no less than 3x magnification, variable up to 8 or 10x preferred.

During the last course I ran, here's what weapons/optics really shined:

14.5" floated AR15/M4, rifle-length VTAC/Troy Handguards with LaRue and NightForce 2.5-10x24

20" HK417 with 3.5x ACOG (I asked the attendee with this blaster to allow me to shoot with it a lot, and was quite impressed.)

16" AR15 w/LaRue handguard with Elcan Specter DR optic

18" SPR with Douglas Select Match barrel, Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mk 4 SPR scope

16" HK416 with Ase Utra QD suppressor, Vortex Viper PST in LaRue LT-158 mount

A quality floated M4 with a 1-4x or 1-6x with a fine reticle will also be a great option. I have several carbine/optic solutions for attendees as back-ups or rentals as well. Bipods are optional, with QD feature preferred if you bring it.

What did NOT work out well was a 20" non-floated AR15. If your barrel is not floated, the positional shooting will make it so you cannot hit even 8" plates at 100yds reliably, or with any predictability. You must have a free-floated rifle/carbine.

Out here in Utah, you will see better results with the 77gr SMK or Scenar/75gr Hornady HPBT if you're shooting the 5.56/.224 Wylde. I will be using my 16" 6.5 Grendel AR15 a lot, and 6.8 SPC will also make a great cartridge for this course. Round count will be more in the 400-500 range for 2-day, depending on attendee needs and time table. A 3-day course would maybe hit 600.

Targetry will be steel poppers, IPSC silhouettes, and other steel reactive targets for immediate feedback. Field exercises will not be canned so that you always know where targets are in advance, making target-detection part of the tested challenges.

Equipment necessary:
    Broken-in boots with quality hiking socks (I could write a book about footwear and the dismounted soldier/sportsman.)
    Suitable field clothing for conditions (Winter in Utah requires you to bring fleece, wind shell/Gore-tex, thermals, 2 types of gloves, head gear, balaclava, excellent socks, winter boots.)
    Camouflage is part of this course, so Multicam, ATACS, and other patterns that blend in well in the lightly-vegetated, rocky foothills and mountains will apply. We emphasize target-detection as a 2-way game, because it is.

Appropriate Load Bearing Kit for your Fighting Load, able to quietly and securely retain your basic load of magazines, water, navigation tools, IFAK, and survival items.
    Mini binos: Mini binos will aid in target detection and small-profile spotting. I like the Vortex Viper R/T 8x28's best, because they have a Mil scale and silhouette range-finders in them.
    Compact survival chow items: Power bars, granola bars, nuts, trail mix, etc.
    Headgear and eyewear appropriate for the conditions: We are anywhere from 4400ft above sea level, to 6600ft ASL. The sun will kick your anus right through your skin. Large brim boonies and sun glasses are great.

Hearing protection: Quality Electronic muffs are recommended so you can hear instruction during shooting events.
    Gloves: Aviator's Nomex gloves, & many of the derivatives are great for protecting your hands during weapon manipulation, climbing, and handling gear in the field.
    Knee Pads &/or Elbow Pads: Trouble-shoot your knee pads with the clothing and equipment you will wear. There is a lot of terrain that will jack you up quick out here.
    IFAK: Your individual first aid kit should be properly stocked with 4" compression bandages, Quick-clot, trauma shears, surgical gloves, wound packing gauze, and any medical devices or medicines particular to your medical history. The instructor pool consists of gentlemen with decades of hands-on combat trauma management, Special Operations Medical Sergeant training, and real-world experience with about anything you can think of regarding medical or trauma contingencies.

We'll be able to run at least one of these every month. Please PM/email me for interest and more details. Most of the instructor base is out of the Salt Lake/Lehi area. Feel free to post open questions about the course. We're looking forward to sharing what we have learned, and learning from all of you as well!

A pic from a recent course:
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2013, 04:24 PM.
  • jawbone
    Warrior
    • Jan 2012

truly one of the most thorough, complete, and mouth watering teaching programs i've ever heard of. wow!

Comment

Sounds like a real good program. I'd be interested in attending one day.

Comment

Just saw this now for the first time. Would love to do this sometime - too little notice this time around, but I'll try & keep an eye out for this!

Comment

this would make me a great anniversary gift! Keep us posted on future courses as I wont be able to make this one, but would like to try sometime in the future for sure.

Comment

You guys haven't missed anything, as I will be running these almost every month. I'm on a short leash right now through the end of February, but I plan on another for March. I'll be up at BoomerShoot 2013 in the end of April along with Bwaites and LR1955, but might be able to do one earlier in April.

We still have a lot of snow in the area, but I personally like shooting in snow. Depending on the atmospheric conditions, you may or may not see bullet trace, and you rarely see bullet register off-target in the snow. I still like to train in all weather and seasonal conditions, particularly when you look at even real-world scenarios here, with the man-hunt going on for Dorner in snow and mountainous terrain, or those who like to hunt in these conditions as well.

Send serious email responses to: orders@ar15buildbox.com and we can fill classes that way. For those who want to shoot steel and explosive targets from 400-700yds this April, you really need to look into attending BoomerShoot up in Orofino, Idaho, this April 26th-28th. I think the precision rifle clinic is filling quickly, so if you want some long-range instruction, look into it. http://entry.boomershoot.org/

Comment

Ok folks.

We're looking at the mid-to-end of March for the next DM course.

I'm looking forward to this course and sharing our experience with everyone. We're leaning towards the March 22 weekend right now, as that will allow some time to source good ammo, let the snow and precipitation go down some for road conditions, and take care of scheduling.

Course fee is $250 per for 2-days, and round count is no less than 300, with the option to bring a mix of standard ammo for the closer range work, and match for the longer distances, as we will be running a lot of drills from 100-200, and 300-600yds. Quality brass-cased 55gr ammo will be fine out to 200-300, while we can use the match out further if you can't bring 100% 69gr, 75gr, 77gr Open-Tipped Match (5.56 guns). Wolf 120gr MPT would be just fine for this course if you bring a Grendel.

This class will be small, but there is still space available as of the time of this posting, but I expect that to change here in the next 24hrs.

For those interested, PM or email me.

Comment

We will be running the next course at the North Springs Shooting Range in Price, Utah, on the weekend of March 22nd. Course will be March 23-24th.

The North Springs Range is one of the coolest ranges in the Nation, with 1000yd, 600yd, 100yd, 50yd, 25yd ranges, archery ranges, cowboy action village, LE Training Center, skeet/trap ranges, facilities, campgrounds, and another surprise area that we will use for the course. I've competed down there and was thoroughly impressed with the range complex.

In addition to the $250 course fee, there is a $7/per person/day range fee.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2013, 04:07 AM.

Comment

I just spent the day down at North Springs coordinating for the course, and we will have more steel targets than we could possibly ever need. This is going to be a very fun course indeed.

Comment

March 23-24th Designated Marksman Course Review

Just finished the course this weekend. In short, it was a great time with a lot of knowledge shared.

Training

Biggest comment by all attendees was if they could go back to themselves 2 years ago and tell themselves something important, they would start attending professional training courses. You don't know what you don't know.

In order to maximize our range time, I sent out some study materials for the attendees so that the guest instructor and I wouldn't have to stand in a classroom and break the ice with the basics for Mils vs. MOA, trajectories, wind drift and wind-reading methods, and terminology.

Day 1 involved going over some of this data to touch on it again, and our guest instructor went over a basic block that he uses for courses with the AR15/Stoner family of weapons to dispel some myths and pass on pertinent knowledge about the system. We were able to mitigate the extreme conditions with classroom time, so that we didn't freeze.

After double-tapping the basics of intermediate & long-range shooting, we did our safety briefing and hit the range to confirm zeros at 100yds. We then pushed onto the steel at 200-450yds, and provided wind calls for the attendees in the 20mph+ wind.

Seated Position Shooting

We did a lot of position shooting, since the terrain in the real world rarely permits use of the prone position. The prone is basically for demonstrating to yourself what your system will do before you move onto shooting positions. The closest steel targets on the flat range were 200yds, with the furthest at 600yds. The 200yd is just to build confidence after confirming zeros on paper, and start out at with different positions before going to 250, 300, 350, 400, etc.

After about noon, the winds calmed down to 10-12mph, and we were able to get most attendees on steel at 500-550yds with the 5.56 guns if they had 69-75gr match. 55gr is really limited to 350, maybe 400yds for connecting on steel in those conditions.

Standing Supported

Environment
                    We started out with some pretty extreme weather. Temps were at 17 degrees F, with 20mph winds and blustery. This was a great opportunity to see what the capabilities and limitations of the shooter/weapon/optic/mount/ammunition/accessory systems were. To many's surprise, attendees were able to make hits on 18" steel plates at distances they never have shot at before in these conditions, let alone calm spring day weather.

Day 2: Shooting in Real Terrain, Scenario-Based Training

We were at 6600ft ASL, where the barometric pressure is much lower, climate is dry unless a snow flurry or blizzard comes through, and the sun takes its toll. Hydration is something you have to think about more than lower elevations.

There's a lot of wildlife out there, to include Mule deer, jack rabbits, predatory birds, lizards, mountain squirrels, etc.

Equipment
                    My little 16" Grendel is great for hitting an 18" steel plate at 600yds in full value 15-20mph winds with the 123gr A-MAX on top of CFE. Shooting the 300, 350, 400, 450yd targets was boring, even in terrible weather. When I confirmed my zero the day before, it was no higher than 17 degrees F, with winds so bad, range flags were straight out and blaring. It still shot sub-half MOA vertical, and 1 MOA horizontal spread, which I think was from the wind.

My philosophy towards the most appropriate weapon profile for a Designated Marksman was only reinforced, and that is this:

The term "Designated Marksman Rifle" is an oxymoron, and should be "Designated Marksman Carbine". Trying to hold anything over 16" steady from certain positions is an exercise in futility, and you will not make hits reliably. Conversely, a lightweight carbine with a medium contour barrel and the right load is a very capable system. We had one attendee with a 16" Centurion-barreled .224 Wylde VLTOR upper with Troy/VTAC rifle-length handguard & Surefire Suppressor shooting 75gr A-MAX's deep-seated in the cases so they will mag-feed.

He was making 1st-round hits in 20mph full value winds out to 450yds with my wind calls. His velocities were just under 2700fps with that load, which was 22.8gr of 8208 XBR at 2.250" COL.

The 7.62 NATO and Grendel impact steel with authority compared to 5.56, however, the recoil & weight of the 7.62 NATO brings considerable penalties with it. The Grendel has the lightweight profile of a 5.56 AR15, with energy on-target much closer to 7.62, without the recoil.

Our guest instructor shot the Grendel for the 1st time, and made a 2nd-round connection on steel at 600yds within 1 second by watching the reticle and adjusting on-the-fly. As I was spotting for him, I opened my mouth to give him the correction, but he already was on the trigger and before I could say anything, I saw/heard impact on the 18" plate. The Grendel is a very forgiving cartridge in these wind conditions, and is just plain easy to shoot at intermediate range.

I won't say a lot about Day 2, because I want there to remain a certain level of problem-solving for future attendees, but it is a lot of fun.

We really enjoyed running this course, and are making it a regular event. Next course will be May 17th-18th. Class size will be limited to 6 attendees at the $250 price. We are able to offer the course at this price since we are fairly close to the range. We want to emphasize quality instruction, so this is why it is limited to 6 attendees. Send notification of intent to attend to: orders@AR15buildbox.com
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Wonderful review. Thanks!! Oh to be young again!!

Comment

Some more pics:

Kneeling Position

Modified Kneeling w/ Stand-off Use of Cover

Utah is a rifleman's paradise...

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Very nice! I wish Utah was a lot closer to WV.
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

This course is sneaking up on us, so let me know. May 17th-18th is the next one, less than a month and a half away. Looking forward to working with those of you who have already signed up.

Comment

Some pics from this past course. We had a great weekend and I really enjoy running the DM Course.

Day 1: Flat Range out to 600yds

After pulling the QD bipod from the morning, we work on more practical, field-friendly position shooting. This is magazine monopod supported:

Rice paddy Squat with sling:

Kneeling w/sling:
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X