• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
    Since contact lenses float and shift, position changes are problematic, especially for those who need astigmatic correction.
    Nukes:

I know because I have astigmatism and use contacts when I compete in High Power. It is not necessarily problematic. I worked with my doctor and found a brand that rarely shifted and if they did, were easily corrected with a blink of the eye.. It took a number of tries but it can be done. Periodically I use them in winter biathlon when my eyes are giving me more trouble than normal. Guess what? They work in all weather conditions and won't fog up.

Stokes uses the lens inserts for the rear (hooded) sight on service rifles (M-16 / M-14). The ones for the AR's screw in so the worse that can happen is they unscrew. If they rotate (unscrew), your zero will change. They will also fog up in adverse conditions. If it is raining, they will get water on them eventually. They are good for High Power in normal High Power weather conditions. They are as 'problematic' as any other optical device once they are exposed to anything other than sunshine and dry. I think they are a better bet than contacts for High Power when using a service rifle that has a hooded rear sight but only if the weather is clear.

And your solution or recommendation is?

LR1955

Comment

• arnie
      Warrior
      • Nov 2013

I am 65 and can shoot open barrel sights with plain lenses shooting glasses but, I have a piece of tape with a tiny hole I look through .It really clears up the sights .We shoot WW 2 military rifles out to 500 meters .Its slow shooting but it works . For my 03A3 and Garand and 1917 which have a peep hole at the rear ,I use a +1 power lenses which clears the blade to very sharp . Every ones eyes are different so experimenting and some compromise is needed .Almost every one I shoot with wears corrective lenses all the time and if I look through there scope or spotting scope I have to readjust for my eyes .Either my eyes are more normal than there's or I am the odd ball but I have won many matches and even recently .Arnie

Comment

• Onewolf
        Bloodstained
        • May 2013

I bought a pair of cheap +.75 reading glasses that I am going to try next time I'm at the range just to see if they help with iron sights before I try anything more costly.. testing at home I can definitely see the front post clearly and 100+yds clearly.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Onewolf View Post
          I bought a pair of cheap +.75 reading glasses that I am going to try next time I'm at the range just to see if they help with iron sights before I try anything more costly.. testing at home I can definitely see the front post clearly and 100+yds clearly.
          Don't short change cheapo fifteen dollar reading glasses. They work providing you don't have to contort yourself into a position where the classes slip or where they are not sitting high enough on the bridge of the nose -- like when in the prone for example.

The key to using glasses is to get frames that adjust so your eyes are looking through the center of the glass in the position you are using. And that they don't move when shooting.

LR1955

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

I realize this is an old thread, but it seems a good place for me to chip in from my experience. I was having trouble seeing the target clearly thru the scope, but didn't realize it was b/c of cataracts until my doc clued me in. A fantastic ophthalmologist by the way!!!

When the time comes that you need to do cataract surgery here's what I decided: 1. Unless you have that burning desire for the toric lenses (supposed to handle all near, mid and far-range sight), go for the mono focus with that focus being distance vision. It'll make sense in a moment.
            2. Find a Dr that does airline pilots b/c they understand seeing close in for your "cockpit" yet 20/20 downrange.
            3. Get the astigatism shaved down during the surgery, they can do that I found out.
            4. As for that mono-vision, do one eye a little "closer-in vision" than the other... just a tad - that's what she (my Dr) does for the pilot guys.
            5. Then for glasses, the $15 reading ones like 55 said, but wait!!!! there's also polarized and shooting style glasses (maybe, what? $18 or $20) that are clear up above (for the downrange seeing) - or tinted - and a small "bifocal" insert down low for your up close/reading etc sight (Now THIS was a super find, on Amazon.). Sometimes called "fishing sunglasses."
            And taking out the cataracts by the way, turned my yellow-fuzzy sight super clear, so that's what was hurting my scope-vision/focus in the first place.

This is a super setup now!!! of course talk w/ your Doc but this is just a run-down so you have an account to start your own discussions with.

Bottom line, cataracts as far as shooting goes, are nothing to be afraid of.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
            X