Hornady 123 SST meets Florida Wild Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady 123 SST meets Florida Wild Hogs

This week my oldest son Bobby, and I had a chance to try out the 6.5 Grendel loaded with Hornady 123 grain SST and 28.5 grains of IMR8208XBR on some pinney wood rooters on a spot and stalk hunt in Central Florida. There were plenty of hogs, so we had our choice of any we wanted to take. We both used my ultraight 14.5" with a Nightforce 2.5-10X scope. We were after good eating sows or bars, passing several boars along the way.

The first opportunity came when we tracked a 150 lb class sow after a fresh rain. We caught up to her in clearing at about 130 yards. My son, Bobby had first shot so he set up using my Outdoorsman optics pack for a rest with instructions to shoot her through the shoulders broad side. At the shot she went down and kicked never moving from the spot.

Upon cleaning her we found the shot was indeed through both shoulders with a quarter sized exit hole. The bullet destroyed both lungs on it's path through. I would call this exellent performance. Unfuortunately the bullet passed through so no recovery of the bullet for examiniation was possible.

The second opportunity came when my son was stalking another 150 lb class sow that was feeding in a grass pond, he intended to take her with my mathews Helim bow, we both closed to within 20 yards looking for an unobstructed path for his arrow. Suddnley the wind swirled and I knew she was going to bust out of there so I put down the video camera and mounted my rifle. Sure enough, she detected our sent and busted through the pond and into a palm hammock. I got the cross hairs on her at about 75 yards as she entered the hammock and broke the trigger. She dissappered at the shot but I heard a death moan from the point she entered the hammock.

As we approached, we found her about ten feet inside the hammock so she only made it about what the momentum of her run would have taken her. The bullet entered her right flank and exited through the left shoulder, destroying the liver and both lungs along it's path. Again, bullet performance seemed to be near perfect.

After four more stalk attempts failed by swirling winds, my son Bobby was able to make a pefect double lung shot with the bow late in the evening. Not a Grendel kill but I thought some of you might find it interesting that he was using my Mathews Helim bow set at 60 lbs draw weight and 29" draw length to propell an easton Axis carbon arrow tipped with a 2" wide Rage two blade broad head and fitted with a lighted knock. The shot was at forty hards and from my view through binoculars I couln't tell the arrow even slowed down after passing through the chest of the hog. The pig traveled about 75 yards and piled up with an easy to follow blood trail.

All in all we had a great hunt, three shots, three clean kills, and an ice chest full of fresh pork and a good time shared with father and son.

I'll post pics later when I get a chance.

Bob
    Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2013, 03:34 AM.

Wow. That is impressive performance for the SST, and a great report. Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

• Von Gruff
      Chieftain
      • Apr 2012

Sound like a great day out your son and a freezer filler all in one. Be interesting to see pics of dressed animals, if you took any, to see entry and exit bruising with the SST.
      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Sojorboy
        Warrior
        • Nov 2011

Always good times with family and friends in the great outdoors !
        Thanks for the report Bob

Comment

• PA_Allen
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Great report Bob! Sounds like excellent performance from the SST.
          Thanks,
          PA

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Glad to here of your success and performance of the Horn SST bullets. I can't wait to see the pictures, thank's for sharing.

Comment

Great report bob! Sounds like you guys had some fun. Now that quail season is out as of today, I should get some SST testing of my own on some south Georgia swine. Ill post up as soon as it happens.

Richard

Comment

Awesome; great post. Once my break-in is finalized, I'll be there taking down some FL hogs.

Comment

Good to hear you guys scored. The acorns have been gone from around here for awhile so the pigs are not in their usual places.

Comment

Congratulations on a great day hunting and the good report on the SSTs. Thanks.

Just let us know when your having the pig roast.

Comment

Congratulations on a great day hunting and the good report on the SSTs. Thanks.

Just let us know when your having the pig roast.

Comment

Nice work!!

Good to hear that they exited hog shoulders!!

Thanks for the report.

Comment

• Dogue
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Looking forward to the pics. Sounds like a great day of hunting. Was this State land or private?
                          Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Dogue View Post
                            Looking forward to the pics. Sounds like a great day of hunting. Was this State land or private?
                            Private, but open range south of Arcadia, I know of no state land where you can find 200 hogs a day. But I have killed several hundred hogs on state land. Now, I have more funds than time and prefer to spend what precious time I have with my son's in the highest quality habitat possible. We saw maybe 30 deer and 50+ turkeys as well. I called in 5 gobblers, spring is early this year. My son also killed two raccons with the bow, one at 36 yrds and one at 10 yrds. Those Rage broadheads make short work of quail and turkey nest raiders.
                            Bob

Comment

Here are some pics, sorry I didn't take any of the wounds but they were typical, little meat damage but vitals were completely destroyed.

My son Bobby took this 150 lb class sow at 130 yards through both front shoulders, she dropped in her tracks and never moved.

I took this sow, which was about the same size running at about 75 yards, the bullet entered the right flank just low of center and exited the left shoulder. She also died on the spot but traveled about ten feet from momentum.

This hog Bobby took using my Mathews Helim bow, Easton Axis Arrow and Rage two blade Titanium broad head. The shot was 40 yards and he made a perfect double lung shot. As I watched through the binoculars the arrow passed through the chest of the hog so fast, it looked as though he had missed but the hog ran about 75 yards and tipped over. I was really proud of him on this stalk because he had to execute it just right in tricky winds.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2013, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X