X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The website is ready for those that want to order now that we're heading into more sunny days.

I'm doing Multicam and Kryptek, small and large brim.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Thanks for all the orders gents. Let me know how they all work out for you. I prefer to custom-size them since the ratios work out better when you put your ear pro on, versus trying to fit an XXL hat onto a smaller head.

When you order, please place your preferred hat size in the comments and I'll size it accordingly. Here is the hat size chart.

If you don't know your hat size, take seamster's tape and wrap it around your head where the headband would be. Check at least 2 times to get a good measurement.

You can tell me what that measurement is for best results. I think it's a good idea to go one size larger for hair growth, your body's expansion in hot weather, and wet weather conditions, as you can adjust the size of the hat down with the elastic shock cord and barreloc.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Thanks for all the orders gents. Let me know how they all work out for you. I prefer to custom-size them since the ratios work out better when you put your ear pro on, versus trying to fit an XXL hat onto a smaller head.

When you order, please place your preferred hat size in the comments and I'll size it accordingly. Here is the hat size chart.

If you don't know your hat size, take seamster's tape and wrap it around your head where the headband would be. Check at least 2 times to get a good measurement.

You can tell me what that measurement is for best results. I think it's a good idea to go one size larger for hair growth, your body's expansion in hot weather, and wet weather conditions, as you can adjust the size of the hat down with the elastic shock cord and barreloc.

Hah! I always knew it, but the chart proves it. The French really ARE pin-heads.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

The site currently says $75 for large brim, but it is really only $65 and that's all that will be billed when you order it, for those wondering. http://ar15buildbox.mybnbwebsite.com/shop.htm

$75 is for Ghillie edge. Get ready for summer and protect your head and ears at the same time. This design actually did really well for me up in Finland a few years ago on a week of hiking and camping in the summer, where the mosquitoes are worse than in Panama. I never intended it to be a hat to protect from insects, but the rear coverage and large brim somehow combined to really keep them off of me for some reason, and they normally make a beeline straight to me.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

I have to say that I have become a true believer in these boonies. I was out two weeks ago with a friend, when our shade canopy was blown away by a gust of wind. We were not yet finished shooting, as there was still a bit of tannerite left, so we stayed. With just my ball cap, I ended up with a serious burn on my neck, face and ears. I'm still peeling from that experience.

This past weekend, I was out again but with one of these boonies for cover. Starting early in the morning, we tortured steel plates at distances from 300 to 900 yards, having just about as much fun a grown man can have with his clothes on. My Pro Ear electronic muffs fit perfectly over the cap, and both were quite comfortable in 95'F weather.

I realized later that I wasn't the least bit sunburned on either my neck or face. The boonie, which I'd worn the whole while, had done an excellent job of protecting my face and neck with the generous brim and neck drape. It also kept my head reasonably cool, due to LRRPF52's thoughtful addition of a crown vent.

So, my compliments and thanks, for a well designed and functional product. It will be my default cover, here on out.
              Last edited by NugginFutz; 06-08-2016, 12:41 PM.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Thanks for your kind words. I use them all the time for hiking, shooting, and even yardwork sometimes. Some people like to protect what little hearing they have left, so when mowing or running powered tools in the lawn, the hat provides sun protection while still being able to wear ear muffs.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 06-08-2016, 05:43 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

My vision from the start for these Boonie Hats is to help reduce skin damage associated with sun exposure if possible, especially for those of us who are outdoor enthusiasts.

Ever since I made the first prototype and tested it, it has helped out significantly.

The production models are way more refined, and others have reported the same results after spending days out RO'ing or competing in multi-day events.

I just did a conversion from an existing Night Desert Pattern from the Gulf War era.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Looks like someone is already knocking off this product in Australia.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

I'm in. I want a multicam at 7 1/4 small brim. Where do I get one, your website? Duh... I'll go a'lookin.
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Keef
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2017

Not sure whether to get the long or short brim version. What are ya'll wearing and what do you recommend?

Comment

• Redomen
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2016

I’m liking that delux model with disrupted brim. Will order one when business picks back up.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

I purposely have not been posting about these because of word of mouth demand.

I have one customer who keeps ordering more for friends and family, with custom features like detachable veils, add-on rear brims, custom camo patterns and solid colors, and just when I think he's done, he orders more.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

The design has matured quite a bit since the prototypes.

Earlier production:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

One thing I've found that's nice during this particularly hot summer is to soak the hat in ice water, including the veil.

When the wind blows through the veil, it's like the best A/C you've felt.

I did that at Scout Camp last week several times.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X