• Show
Clear All
  • gemihur
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Fixed it for you
    Average Ballistic Comparison
    .........Cart......... Muz Vel ..... Muzzle Energy......Bullet Weight ..... Case Capacity
    6.5 Grendel...............2558 fps.......1623ft/lb.............113 gr..............36.0 gr.
    6.8mm Rem SPC........2644 fps...... 1662 ft/lb............107 gr...............36.8 gr.

Shoot 'em both, love 'em all. Bill Alexander's is my favorite only because I can use RP 7.62X39 brass (small primer) for the Grendel.
    Don't run into many 30 Remington cases for the 6.8! Don't hate.
    Last edited by gemihur; 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM. Reason: punctuation of stats
    Think twice, shoot once.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by gemihur View Post
      Average Ballistic Comparison
      .........Cart......... Muz Vel ..... Muzzle Energy......Bullet Weight ..... Case Capacity
      6.5 Grendel...............2558 fps.......1623ft/lb.............113 gr..............36.0 gr.
      6.8mm Rem SPC........2644 fps...... 1662 ft/lb............107 gr...............36.8 gr.

Shoot 'em both, love 'em all. Bill Alexander's is my favorite only because I can use RP 7.62X39 brass (small primer) for the Grendel.
      Don't run into many 30 Remington cases for the 6.8! Don't hate.
      What bullets are you using? I don't recognize those weights in each caliber. Are they cast pills by any chance?

What barrel lengths do you have for the Contender?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• gemihur
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2014

Ammo Guide Ballistic Calculator
        Bbl length of 6.5 Grendel = 17" Bbl length of 6.8 Rem = 23"
        These are averages from representative samplings, Grendel=113, 6.8=102
        Averages
        My personal loading for Grendel uses 140 gr. Sierras and for 6.8 I load 100 gr. Hornadys
        Both great rounds
        Last edited by gemihur; 07-22-2015, 01:58 PM.
        Think twice, shoot once.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by gemihur View Post
          Ammo Guide Ballistic Calculator http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/bcalculator.cgi
          Bbl length of 6.5 Grendel = 17" Bbl length of 6.8 Rem = 23"
          These are averages from representative samplings, Grendel=113, 6.8=102
          Averages
          My personal loading for Grendel uses 140 gr. Sierras and for 6.8 I load 100 gr. Hornadys
          Both great rounds
          Averaging across a multitude of loads can be misleading.

Further, is there a reason for listing the "average" for the Grendel using a 17" barrel while going with the "6.8 average with the six-inch longer 23" barrel?

The first issue can be written off as part of the confusion we all have about how to make realistic comparisons between cartridges.

The other is most likely the same because the velocity comparisons look about right if the same longer barrel is used for bullets in that weight class. The lower SD of the 6.8 round allows a slight boost in MV at the expense of reduced velocities at longer ranges.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• gemihur
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2014

The statistics are gleaned from AmmoGuide strictly in defense of the comparison of the rounds, having nothing to do with the length of barrels I employ.
            My use of these rounds applies primarily to hunting. They both work well to my expectations of small to medium bore rounds utilizing moderate charges.
            I'm not condemning anyone's opinion but only defending the 6.8's use as rabiddawg portrays it.
            Think twice, shoot once.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Defending the 6.8's use. Lol.

I did my research prior to buying my first grendel. It was an easy decision after that.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                ...I did my research prior to buying my first grendel. It was an easy decision after that.
                That may well be how many of us made the decision!

In the end, choosing a rifle and cartridge is all too much l like falling in love. We frequently can't describe why, but find lots of reasons (excuses??) for the choice.

The arguments start when one or both aficionados use questionable ballistic information to make their cases.

Bottom line, there is very little difference in game harvesting ability, including ability to hit, between the two cartridges inside of 250 to 300 yards. The vast majority of game is harvested at shorter ranges.

For those who have not heard the story a zillion times, the Grendel shines for those who want to take shots at the longer ranges for game, competition, or blasting.
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• gemihur
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2014

I concur.
                  At long range the Grendel shines!
                  Think twice, shoot once.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Joe is it time yet, To release our finds/? Thoughts?

Comment

• gemihur
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2014

Oh, It's time alright!
                      Enlighten us with your conclusions.
                      Think twice, shoot once.

Comment

• GregP42
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2015

I can say that MGM builds a good 6.5G barrel, I have a 15" on my T/C Contender. I have used it in matches and done well. If I do my part when it is bagged I can put 5 rounds in just under an inch at 100 yards.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                        X