• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
    One of my BHW 264LBC's will only shoot the Sierra 85 HP Varminters. Stellar groups and devastating results on the varmints.
    It refuses to shoot anything else? It is really picky.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
      It refuses to shoot anything else? It is really picky.
      It depends, I suppose, on what your standards are. That BHW's longer, heavier sibling will shoot Factory Amax, ELD and American Gunner into .6" or less. The barrel in question won't group any of the above at anything less than 1.25".

So, yes, technically it will "shoot" other rounds, just nothing as well as the 85 Sierras.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bow shot
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2015

Bluntforcetrauma, Thanks very much... just trying to stay employable, lol!!

bj139, my 6.5x55 Swede also printed them fantastic. That rifle went to my younger son.

Here's what my Grendel (JP barrel) does with factory 123gn Amax Ammo, 300y group 0.8". 'Hope I can get this good with the sierra's:
        123 gren.PNG
        Last edited by bow shot; 01-06-2018, 07:37 PM. Reason: grateful...

Comment

• bow shot
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2015

So nice to see this, lol!!

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by bow shot View Post
            Bluntforcetrauma, Thanks very much... just trying to stay employable, lol!!

bj139, my 6.5x55 Swede also printed them fantastic. That rifle went to my younger son.

Here's what my Grendel (JP barrel) does with factory 123gn Amax Ammo, 300y group 0.8". 'Hope I can get this good with the sierra's:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]10695[/ATTACH]
            That is a fantastic group at 300 yards. Wow.

Comment

• bow shot
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2015

bj139, thanks! I was shooting well that day... and obviously chickened out from taking another two shots, lol!

I have a similar pic of the last groups I printed with the 6.5x55 Mauser before I handed it over to my son, also shooting the sierra 85 gn varminters, that was 0.9" @ 300y. Trying to find that one. That was (is) a great rifle, nothing special about it other than a good rifle smith bedded it in a good sporter stock, and I put good rings and glass on it. But man it shot crazy good when I was able to do my part. 46.8gn of IMR 4350 for that load, with good neck-turned brass.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I had a stock Swedish Mauser that I handloaded and got a 1-1/16" group at 100 yards which was my best group at the time. It has a Bushnell 4x12 scope .
                I don't even remember cleaning the barrel. There were 4 shots in the group at 3/4", with one flyer, but I had to count the flyer.
                I have far better equipment today.

Comment

• bow shot
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2015

Gotta love those Mausers...

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

I use 85 gr Sierra for varmint. They chrono at about 3190 average and make big holes.
                    20 inch Satern barrel

Comment

• bow shot
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2015

Neck turning the brass now. Coming off 10 days of -5 to +12 degrees weather, winds were maxing at 40 mph, go a couple feet of snow, so it might be a while.

Seriously thinking of ditching this Hornady brass and getting some Nosler, Norma or Lapua just to avoid neck turning. Variation as-is, is 0.011 - 0.014 on the worst cases. YIkes.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Neck turning. you are getting serious.

Someone mentioned about the concentricity of the rounds after slamming into the feed ramps.

I didn't realize this might be a problem before I read that. You may want to consider it.

I don't have a concentricty gauge or I would try it.

Comment

• bow shot
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2015

Agreed for sure, but its just one step in eliminating variables (and probable irrelevant). As I work toward the best recipe, if things don't come together, I won't have to entertain consistency doubts.

'But I'll say this: after 30 years in the handloading for accuracy game, I've never demonstrated, scientifically that centric (is that a word?) ammo is more accurate than non-centric. I'm not good enough of a shooter to get less than 0.3" 5-shot groups with any of my gear. I just don't want to put a lot of work in a load without success and wonder "if I start again with centered bullets, would I have succeeded?"

For load work, I'll be single-feeding by hand.

Comment

• bow shot
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2015

Ok, not gonna work the hornady brass, just don't have time for it. Waiting on some Nosler or Norma. To be continued

Comment

• Doon
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                              I use 85 gr Sierra for varmint. They chrono at about 3190 average and make big holes.
                              20 inch Satern barrel
                              Whats your load for that speed?

Comment

• bow shot
                                Bloodstained
                                • Aug 2015

Ahhhh, good intel, thanks kindly folks and keep it coming..

Got some Norma and Nosler to use, so far it mics very well..

Ok, this is again on hold. Changing jobs, just took a new job in KY and moved where (temp living quarters) from NY. Gotta get rooted in the job, and get a place to live.

Upstate NY was a great place to live, very sorry to leave it behind. Great people upstate, but unfortunately most of our rulers there are unhinged, delusional and either severely an inexcusably stupid, or very, very wicked people. I always hoped stupidity was it.

Anyway, I'll be back at it when the dust settles. High priority, lol!!
                                Last edited by bow shot; 03-17-2018, 07:45 PM. Reason: forgot a sentence

Comment

Working...
                                X