Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 gn sierra Varminters

Howdy gun nuts.

Anyone using 85 gn Sierra varminters in their Grendels?

I see that they are kinda the ugly kid on the block, as far as .246 projectiles, but they shoot fantastic (easy 0.5", regular 0.3" groups) out of my 6.5x55... but that's my "heritage" rifle and its going to a beloved son soon.

What say you?
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

They can be used fine for short range applications, flat base HP bullets tend to be more accurate the hpbt bullets at shorter ranges where the bc of a bullet isn't as important... That said they will have the characteristics of light bullets the will be more effected by wind and loose velocity/energy more quickly than heavy high bc bullets but you won't see that shift until over 200m if you look at short range bench rest bullet designs they mirror varmint bullets
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I have shot 85 grain Sierra JHP in my 16" 6.5 Grendel with 1:9 twist. I loaded 31.5 grains H335 and my groups were around an inch @ 100 yards with my non free float barrel and 9X scope. I just recently bought more of these and some N-130 powder. My 16" barrel seems to shoot lighter bullets to my satisfaction. I've shot 85 & 100 grain Sierra Varmint JHP, 90 grain TNT and 100 grain Nosler BT. I've also loaded 100 grain Barnes TTSX but haven't shot them. I used Accurate 2230 powder and got good groups with 90 TNT.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-08-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

The factory 90gr TNT load from AA flattens 12" steel plates at 300yds from my 16" Grendel with authority.

I don't imagine the 85gr Sierra being much different, and there is a forum member who used 85gr Sierra HP's for a hunt IIRC, with a double shoulder shot with complete pass-through on deer at over 300yds. I'm trying to find the thread now. It didn't make sense at the time, but the 85gr at a lower velocity from a Grendel at 300yds wouldn't open up like it's meant to on varmints at around 3000fps from a larger case. I still wouldn't use it as a medium game bullet because of the likelihood of closer shots, unless you just went through the neck.

Comment

Its funny you mentioned the velocity thing... these projectiles have the text "meduim velocity only" incorporated in the box graphic. think I need to get deep in researching this, perhaps call Sierra.

I noticed that out of my 6.5-284, they just splatter on the steel @ 300y. But they do turn 'chucks into a bloody rad though out of th 6.5x55 w/45gn IMR 4350!!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

They are probably light enough with a thin enough jacket, that they may get torn apart by centripidal at high velocities hence the medium velocity warning

Comment

right... so I'm thinking that Grendel load would be on the lower side of the velocity range, vs. say, 6.5-284... dunno. Gotta find out.

Have to work for food so much it getting hard to find time for fun.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

They would probably be at the upper limit in a 6.5x284 around 3600 fps a stw or scramjet could probably get close to 4000 fps and in a 1in8 twist gun you would get to 360,000 rpm which would put about 471000 Gs ont the bullet at the jacket I you were going to build a 6.5 with the purpose of pushing light bullet at hyper velocities you could get a barrel with a slower twist but your going to burn barrels quickly

Comment

Well, She (Grendelyn) is already built with a JP barrel.. shooting fantastic with 123 AMax's over Benchmark powder... I'm just in the "hmmm wouldn't it be great to put these 85 gn Varminters to flight" stage. If I get a load up with these, I'll let you all know where this goes. Gotta do some research... and that's always fun!

Comment

Called Sierra today, They said just about any (properly published) load data will be fine for the Grendel with the 85gn Varminter, with the 22" 1:8 twist JP barrel. As the brethren have mentioned here, the 3000 fps mark is likely too much. IMRs load site show the 85gn Varminter getting close, LOL!!:

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

A friend used to shoot 85 grain Sierra Varmint bullets in his 264 Winchester Magnum with 1:9 inch twist. I'm not sure how much velocity he got as we never chronographed any but I figure around 3500 FPS. He said this bullet was very accurate in his rifle and was devastating on varmints. Back in the late 60's and early 70's the 264 Win Mag was a new cartridge that was adequate for use on varmints up to large game with 140 grain partition bullets.

Comment

.264 Win Mag is insane flat-shooting. A scorcher for sure.

Comment

My 6.5 STW just makes blue puffs of blue lead dust out of the 85 Sierras, never even had one make it to the 100 yard line. I have to go to the 140 grain SMK's to get them to hold together at 3,450 fps.
                          Bob

Comment

work is killing me.. havent' put one test batch together yet!!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                              They would probably be at the upper limit in a 6.5x284 around 3600 fps a stw or scramjet could probably get close to 4000 fps and in a 1in8 twist gun you would get to 360,000 rpm which would put about 471000 Gs ont the bullet at the jacket I you were going to build a 6.5 with the purpose of pushing light bullet at hyper velocities you could get a barrel with a slower twist but your going to burn barrels quickly
                              Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                              My 6.5 STW just makes blue puffs of blue lead dust out of the 85 Sierras, never even had one make it to the 100 yard line. I have to go to the 140 grain SMK's to get them to hold together at 3,450 fps.
                              Bob
                              That's what I was saying, I was hopping you would chime in and had tried the 85s out the could probably be shot with a slow twist but there isn't a whole lot of point to it unless you just hated barrels...

Comment

Working...
                              X