85 gn sierra Varminters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveFrench

I tried some out today. Accuracy was excellent (right at .5" for a 4 shot group) with 29.5gr BLC-2, but velocity was only 2400. I have a 20" 1:9 Shilen and I want to get this up to 2700 or 2800. Anybody have some powder suggestions for this round?

Comment

You have the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook, right? It shows H335 as one of the best powders for that bullet weight. 29.0gr starting load should put you close to 2700fps. 32.0gr max load puts you over 2900fps, at 2.240" COAL.

You can also try Benchmark, H322, IMR4198, and H4198. Loads are all in there.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2013, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I loaded some 90 grain Speer TNT with Accurate 2230, good velocity and accuracy. I like the faster powders with lighter bullets. I bought some Vit N130 & N135 to try with lighter bullets 85 to 100 grains in the Grendel.

Comment

I should have said earlier... that the I was pumping them (the 85gn Sierral Varminters) through the 6.5-284 just to work the brass (for that gun). Still haven't gotten to Grendelyn with them.

The 123gn Amax's do so well in Grendelyn that it kinda takes the heat off working up a load for the 85 gn bullet. But I shall soon, Lord willing!!

Comment

• SteveFrench

Update: I tried some Accurate 2230 with these and shot a group just over .5" (4shots). .002" off the lands and 2.15"ish COAL. Barrel is a 20" 1:9 shilen. 2900 ish fps.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting Steve, I'll have to try those in my 20" 1:9 Shilen. I put my 6.5 Grendel reloading on hold till I get my Lock N Load case gauge, 6.5 Gauge is out of stock.

Comment

• longdayjake

Try some AA 2200. See what kind of velocities that gets you.

Comment

• bow shot
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2015

Finally getting back to this. Had to go back to college nights for the past 3 years, finally finished. should be working up a set over the next couple weeks. Temps in the single digits and 1' snow on the ground at the moment though.. might hamper me a bit when it comes time to shoot.

Comment

• BD264
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2017

I used to shoot them out of my 264wm, sure made messes of Jack rabbits. Still have like half a box of them on my bullet shelf, but haven't ever played with them in the Grendel.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

The 85 gr Sierra HP is all I have loaded so far in the Grendel.
                      I used to load them in my Swedish Mauser back in the 1990s' and had a bunch left over.
                      I have shot two 3 shot groups at 0.5MOA from my AA Overwatch with these with just a dipperful of H335 ( I think about 25gr).

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by BD264 View Post
                        I used to shoot them out of my 264wm, sure made messes of Jack rabbits. Still have like half a box of them on my bullet shelf, but haven't ever played with them in the Grendel.
                        Holy moly, what does your 264 WM push those 9
                        85's at??

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by bow shot View Post
                          Had to go back to college nights for the past 3 years, finally finished.
                          Dude! Good job. Congrats!
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• BD264
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                            Holy moly, what does your 264 WM push those 9
                            85's at??
                            I never chronographed the load, but iirc it was pretty close to a max load of imr4320 right out of the Sierra manual. They claim 3600fps max.

Comment

• 37L1
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

85 Sierra's in my 16" Alex A shoots great (3 shot groups in the .1's) 31.5 8208 XBR 2725 FPS

Comment

• NugginFutz
                                Chieftain
                                • Aug 2013

One of my BHW 264LBC's will only shoot the Sierra 85 HP Varminters. Stellar groups and devastating results on the varmints.
                                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                                X