Took My 16" Grendel out to 1200yds This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took My 16" Grendel out to 1200yds This Weekend

So I was out shooting with my BIL and his FIL. Some guys pulled up and said they would be shooting Glocks out to 1200yds that would put the trajectory over our heads with just a slight wind gust, but not to worry, the guy teaching them was highly experienced and it would be ok, he trains SWAT teams, etc.

We expressed the lack of a warm and fuzzy with the idea, informed them that we would suggest otherwise, and packed up to leave, but I decided to stop by and see what the deal was with the gentlemen. Turned out they were all FBI, DEA, IRS, and other Feds/or retired from same, and were doing some very long range shooting just for fun, off the hoods of trucks and off-hand. Blasters ranged .44 Mag Ruger Blackhawks and DPMS Lo-pro classic with Gun Show grade optics, to .30-.338 belted magnum with muzzle break and Leupold. Shots were kicking up dust all over the mountain side.

The guy who was doing the long-range shooting used to work at Quantico, and has written gun articles dating back to the 1970's. He actually was hitting stuff way beyond the commonly accepted effective distances of the gun in question, and has a colorful past.

They asked if I wanted a crack at it. I was really in a hurry to get home, but couldn't resist seeing what my little 16" Grendel would do at that distance, so I hopped up in my truck, discreetly pulled out my phone as I squatted down, and plugged in the data to see what my elevation would be for the shot.....

It gave me 14.4 mils (49.5 MOA) for the 123gr A-MAX at 2450fps at 4400ft ASL, with 81 F temp. I had the atmospherics in already, but only ran my dope out to 1000yds since I have really only shot the 16" out to 600yds, maybe 700yds at BoomerShoot once.

Here's the area we were in. The target they were shooting at was to the left of this, 3 times the distance of the target you can see in my reticle in the picture:

This is 400yds. Target I was shooting at was 1200yds, way to the left of the FOV here.

I got on the hood of one of their trucks, started cranking like crazy on my elevation turret until I hit 14.4 Mils. There was literally no wind that I could see, but I held a little left because I just had a feeling that there was some canyon effect between the ridge we were on, and the one we were shooting, because we had winds up to 12mph earlier in the day from there. I settled the gun's NPOA like I do, and kept the reticle as centered as possible as I broke the shot.

To them, it looked like a hit, but I could see I was just a little low and left, so I corrected and put 3 or 4 more shots on the target, which was just a little dry patch of dirt on the grass at that distance, that couldn't have been wider than .4 Mils, and no taller than .3 Mils (so basically a 3ftx4ft oval target). I was surprised at how easy it was to hit consistently and repeatedly at 1200yds with a little 16" Grendel, which I had written off as an 800yd gun max.

The no-wind conditions really made it easy to be honest, but I was surprised when I went back into my program and saw that the bullet is still supposed to be supersonic at that distance. The data shows 1165fps at 1200yds with a mv of 2450fps using the G1 BC, which isn't even ideal for that bullet or distance-a G7 model would be much better, but it got me really close so that I could have a round in the air after the 1st correction on-target.

This is making me re-think the maximum effective range of the little carbine, and I will be playing with it a lot more at twice the distances I normally do. I'm very interested to see how it will group on paper/cardboard or steel at 1200yds, because the shots were right where I wanted them.

I chrono'd the factory Hornady 123gr A-MAX earlier in the day, and it was running between 2460 and 2470fps for me from the 16" AA ER Shaw button-rifled pipe.
  • Gamecock84

Very Nice!! Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel good about deciding on the 18" barrel.

Ryan

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

What program are you using? Have you ever used the A Trag Horiz Vision program? I am still amazed how well this cartridge can be at distance with such a slow mv.

Comment

Excellent range report...it's cool to see what the grendel is really capable of...in capable hands, of course!

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Nice shooting Tex!
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Excellent!

I look forward to future reports.

Wish I had somewhere local to safely do something similar. 600 is all I got for now.
            Drifter

Comment

• Dogue
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Nice work!

So, what did they think of the little Grendel?
              Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

nice work, I just finished 1000 myself with a 5 ish inch group @ 900 yards 18 inch grendel was used

Comment

• usmc1371
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2011

Nice shooting. Short bbl grendel is on my project list.

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by usmc1371 View Post
                    Nice shooting. Short bbl grendel is on my project list.
                    I got a 24" because that's all that was available. Just got it together and already thinking of cutting it down after reading the reports of the shorter length with good accuracy. I'll never go past 600 yards here in VA and if I ever go our to NM or AZ I'll just get another barrel. The 24" looks cool but won't be practical around here. A pic for the long stic.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Good shooting LRRPF52 and great report!

Good shooting from FMSniper too!

It's good to hear people are still busting caps.LOL I'm still standing by waiting for the ammo to roll at normal prices again. I'm afraid to diminish the fort without resupply coming in. The weather's getting nice though, so I might shoot some this summer. Hopefully my brother's dog got old enough that he quit killing all the damn ground hogs. I miss blasting those suckers!
                      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Tedward
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                        Good shooting LRRPF52 and great report!

Good shooting from FMSniper too!

It's good to hear people are still busting caps.LOL I'm still standing by waiting for the ammo to roll at normal prices again. I'm afraid to diminish the fort without resupply coming in. The weather's getting nice though, so I might shoot some this summer. Hopefully my brother's dog got old enough that he quit killing all the damn ground hogs. I miss blasting those suckers!
                        I've been getting Grendel regularly. they have more ammo then I have cash. The Hornady is $29 a box at the local gun shop but is $23 at the big store in Richmond VA. Going to but 10 boxes this weekend but already have 10 or 20 boxes but going to burn that up this weekend sighting in. So I'll be selling some of my brass soon but I think I'll keep a few hundred cases for the day I decide to re-load.

Ammo is coming back and see it more than I have money...

Comment

Very nice shooting.

Full Auto Firearms in El Campo Tx. has Grendel in 123 Hornady. I think it is around $25 a box. If you buy in bulk Jay will give you a better price.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

On the ammo thing--- I'm spoiled. I get it at wholesale plus shipping, bt the wholesalers my buddy deals with haven't had any Hornady in stock for a good while. I'll snag more of it when it comes in. The Wolf I'll either get from AA or AIM depending on who's cheaper. I only buy at good prices though. The current prices folks are running are ridiculous.

Off hijiack:

I shot last year at 800, but I think we have another way we can shoot to 1000 or possibly more this year. I could shoot 1000 at the Whitehorse range, but I don't like dinking around with public ranges, so I'll likely just stick to private property.

LRRPF52: You have some nice turf to shoot on. Some nice thinner air to send 'em through too. Keep sendin' 'em bud!
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

LRRPF52,
                              That's quite impressive, thanks for posting. It's pretty amazing what this cartridge will do! How hot were your rounds loaded?

USMC1371,
                              That quite impressive especially having a paper target to get measurements from. Like Ted and others I neither have that kind of distance on my place so I guess 200 yards will have to do but I'm anxious to see what my 24" AA Over-watch will do?
                              Also how hot were your rounds loaded?

Here's mine, now to get my loads with the new Hornady brass tested out and post my six shot groups.

Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2013, 12:10 AM. Reason: Getting image to post as well as added info

Comment

Working...
                              X