Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel case Ammo update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jluck View Post
    Projectiles will be the tips of unicorn horns from what I hear.
    Rainbow colored unicorns, not just any unicorns!

Actually, the last I heard, it was going to be a bimetal, like their 223 and 7.62x39. That doesn't fit my shooting needs very well.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Bimetal -- is that the same as gilding metal clad steel?

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        Rainbow colored unicorns, not just any unicorns!

Actually, the last I heard, it was going to be a bimetal, like their 223 and 7.62x39. That doesn't fit my shooting needs very well.
        I also heard they are going to use Skittles for powder, and Pop Rocks (remember those?) for primers.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
          Bimetal -- is that the same as gilding metal clad steel?
          Yup, that's the hot new term!

Comment

• [In an Irish accent] I'll believe that when me sh*t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

Comment

• longdayjake

Anyone know where to get a really cheap 6.5 grendel barrel that I won't mind shooting steel stuff through?

Comment

• Dogue
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by longdayjake View Post
                Anyone know where to get a really cheap 6.5 grendel barrel that I won't mind shooting steel stuff through?
                Kinda putting the cart ahead of the horse, arn't ya? This ammo has been "coming next quarter" for about 20 quarters now.

I would guess an AR Stoner or AA barrel would be the cheapest (obviously used may be even cheaper). What are you worried the steel cased ammo will do to a non-cheap barrel?
                Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• explorecaves

Even on the premium rifles, you should consider the barrel to be an expendable item that will need replacement at some point regardless of what you shoot through it. There was a great test done on 5.56 AR's a while back to see what the price difference is between shooting steel cased vs brass cased ammo. The conclusion I gathered was in the cost savings between steel vs brass ammo, you can buy 2-3 new barrels with what you save by buying steel cased exclusively.

Comment

• Don't think ill shoot it in my "once in a lifetime" mk12 profiled Satern custom barrel, will buy a liberty or a arstoner one for that...I don't even like shooting different brands of bullets in it, much less a whole different metal. yes I know they all come from the same place but mine was very involved to get the right profile for the ops inc can.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2012

wolf steel case Grendel has been available for quite some time now you just have to know where to look

Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Buster
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                        wolf steel case Grendel has been available for quite some time now you just have to know where to look

Where might that be?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Curious if someone pulled the bullet from a 7.62 X 39 steel case then sized it in a 6.5 Grendel die. Then it could easily be loaded with a PP 120 grain MPT Bullet. I also read where guys have reloaded Berdan Primed steel cases. This is too much work for me, I'll shoot my reloaded factory seconds bullets in my fire formed brass 7.62 X 39 cases for my blasting ammo. lol

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2012

Hydrolic punch out bedan primer, convert to boxer, size in Grendel die, fire form, and load as normal.... You can usually get steel cases for near as does not mater free, it more of an excersise in resourcefulness than a practical way to get cases but they are reload able and cost a lot less than a dollar a piece so you don't have to worry about losing one while hunting or on the range, it's kind of time consuming but if you do a bunch at once you can speed up the process
                            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Which ever barrel you get, make sure you get it chrome lined!!

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Buster View Post
                                Where might that be?
                                Russia.

Comment

Working...
                                X