Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel case Ammo update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has taken years for me to jump on the Grendel band wagon. With the promise of cheap or should I say not to expensive ammo I jumped on the wagon.

I cant find ammo for much less then a buck a shot. I know all ammo is tough to get and expensive. But if you cant feed your rifle you dont shoot it. I not going to invest in reloading dies before I know what I like and what I dont.

I purchased two M1a's and they have been getting all my love, and i can get ammo ay walmart.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bronz View Post
      It has taken years for me to jump on the Grendel band wagon. With the promise of cheap or should I say not to expensive ammo I jumped on the wagon.

I cant find ammo for much less then a buck a shot. I know all ammo is tough to get and expensive. But if you cant feed your rifle you dont shoot it. I not going to invest in reloading dies before I know what I like and what I dont.

I purchased two M1a's and they have been getting all my love, and i can get ammo ay walmart.
      Entirely understandable. Of course, that .308 ammo you are buying isn't match ammo, or it would cost more than the Grendel ammo, which is all essentially match ammo. But being able to buy ammo at WalMart, thats still pretty cool!

Comment

• babue
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

I started out thinking my Grendel would be my all round go to AR but since the less expensive steel case ammo has never happened, my one Grendel has become more of a DMR. Hard to run through a lost brass carbine class and loose 500 Grendel cases or even a precision rifle class and not be able to recover the brass. We have been hearing about the steel case ammo for
        so long, it really does not matter anymore. If it ever happens, great, but do not hold your breath waiting or we will have a lot less
        Grendel shooters.

Comment

• Things happen very slowly in Russia, where they do a lot of testing believe it or not. Their engineers have been actively developing the steel case to a refined point, rather than dumping it on the market without extensive testing.

Comment

• Has there been any update about the 10K of testing rounds

Has an update on how the 10000 rounds that Bill received for testing ever been published. How well did it perform or was there problems. Seems to me if there were no problems the ammo would be on the market.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

No problems, it was discovered that the polymer didn't work as well as the lacquered cases. That surprised me, but the Russians have been using lacquer forever, so they've got it down. If it will run in machine guns, it will run in semi auto just fine, I would suspect.

I'm having real doubts now, because of this: http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/20...mmunition.html

The bullet they were considering was very similar to this bullet.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                No problems, it was discovered that the polymer didn't work as well as the lacquered cases. That surprised me, but the Russians have been using lacquer forever, so they've got it down. If it will run in machine guns, it will run in semi auto just fine, I would suspect.

I'm having real doubts now, because of this: http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/20...mmunition.html

The bullet they were considering was very similar to this bullet.
                Shhhhhhhh.... It's because they finally figured out someone had chambered 5.45 in a pistol, thus making it "AP Pistol" ammo. It takes a lot of drugs and variable time for them to dream these things up sometimes.

You never know how many conex containers could hit the market (and be stockpiled by me) before such a "determination" is made. Heck, it took them a year to approve my last form 4.

Shhhhhhh...... Be Vewwwy Qwiet. We are hunting 6.5 7N6 here in the CONUS.......
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  The Russkis have a 6.5 Grendel machine gun??? Pics, please.
                  I'm having real doubts now, because of this: http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/20...mmunition.html The bullet they were considering was very similar to this bullet.
                  Yeah. I was rather concerned about that issue back when Bill Alexander first told us the 6.5 FMJ bullet was constructed like the 7N6.

I think we can expect the 6.5 Grendel steel-core ammo to also be banned from import. That shouldn't be an insurmountable problem, though. They can do as they did with 5.45 commercial ammo: Redesign the bullet to have a lead core and bigger air space in the tip.

Still, it'd be disappointing. I was looking forward to barrier penetration and gel tests of the 7N6-type bullet.
                  Last edited by stanc; 04-29-2014, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Nobody said "belt-fed", so nothing to see here. Move along citizen. J/K Stan!

What you don't have a 6.5 Grendel MG? I do.

Bill probably has post samples. They're sure cheaper.

Bullets: Shhhhhh......
                    Last edited by Variable; 04-30-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                      What you don't have a 6.5 Grendel MG? I do.

Oooooooh. I want one, too, daddy. Pleez, pleez, pleeeeezzzzz...

Comment

• Any updates?

Have there been any updates? Or has everyone just given up hope?

Comment

• Dogue
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Colorado View Post
                          Have there been any updates? Or has everyone just given up hope?
                          Option 2

This has been vaporware for years. "Updates" are just wild guesses at this point, as every anticipated delivery date (both from AA and Wolf) has come and gone with no Steel Cased 6.5 Grendel ammo to be found. I doubt many will pay much attention until we can actually get our hands on it, and it could be many more years before that ever happens.

I do wonder how many Grendels have been sold based primarily on the promise of cheaper steel cased ammo "coming soon"? Was it just a marketing ploy?
                          Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Whatever the motivation, I saw and held Wolf steel cases in my hand in October of 2011. This means that tooling existed before then.

The subsequent delays are almost certainly the result of a very cautious development regime, with not just a few stirrings by Russian, US, and global politics.

Let's hope that commercial developers are not getting too heavily infected by the US (and now likely Russian too) government penchant for micromanaging development programs to the extent that a 12 - 18 month development cycle gets stretched to 15 to 20 years.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                              Whatever the motivation, I saw and held Wolf steel cases in my hand in October of 2011. This means that tooling existed before then.
                              Shown here beside Hornady Amax fodder for comparison...

They hadn't changed the headstamp yet, but they definitely made some Grendel cases....

Comment

• bwaites
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                                Shown here beside Hornady Amax fodder for comparison...

They hadn't changed the headstamp yet, but they definitely made some Grendel cases....
                                Yep, and development made them decide on a Boxer primer instead of Berdan. There are interesting rumors I have heard.....

Comment

Working...
                                X