Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel case Ammo update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
    ...........There are interesting rumors I have heard.....
    .........And? Come on man! You can't just start crap like that and leave us hanging!!!
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      ...There are interesting rumors I have heard.....
      Originally posted by Variable View Post
      .........And? Come on man! You can't just start crap like that and leave us hanging!!!
      Just how many Google searches BWaites' comment caused? Pretty effective way to get the rest of uf to look for something...

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post

They hadn't changed the headstamp yet, but they definitely made some Grendel cases....
        Since we've yet to see any production ammo, I'm beginning to wonder if that was actually Russian-made Grendel rounds, and not 7.62x39 steel cases that somebody necked down and fireformed as a cruel hoax...

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          Just how many Google searches BWaites' comment caused? Pretty effective way to get the rest of uf to look for something...
          He'll have to do a whole lot better than that to cause me to start searching.

As the saying goes: "Fool me 213 times, shame on you. Fool me 214 times, shame on me." (Or something like that.)

Comment

• wheelguner
            Warrior
            • Oct 2011

I suppose the most of us click on "what's new" when we visit the site and I have to admit that I eagerly click on this link still hoping for good news. At least there is always a bit of humor to ease my *(*^##@ DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
              Since we've yet to see any production ammo, I'm beginning to wonder if that was actually Russian-made Grendel rounds, and not 7.62x39 steel cases that somebody necked down and fireformed as a cruel hoax...
              Naw, Stan, they really were production steel Grendel cases. They were shown at Shot 2013, I actually had some that I had to drill (SHOT requires that all cases, whether primered or not, be drilled to prove there is no powder in them!)

The Russian testing showed that Boxer priming was superior to Berdan in this application, so they switched to that. (I have no idea why they decided it was superior, but it will be interesting to see if they can be reloaded once or twice!)

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                He'll have to do a whole lot better than that to cause me to start searching.

As the saying goes: "Fool me 213 times, shame on you. Fool me 214 times, shame on me." (Or something like that.)
                LOL!

I said it was a rumor, and as all things rumored to be from Russia, it must be taken with a grain of salt! But the old saying goes, "Where there's smoke there's fire!"

Comment

• explorecaves

LOL!

I said it was a rumor, and as all things rumored to be from Russia, it must be taken with a grain of salt! But the old saying goes, "Where there's smoke there's fire!"
                  I thought it was to be taken with a bottle of vodka?

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                    I thought it was to be taken with a bottle of vodka?
                    Only if you aren't driving or shooting, then you must use salt!

Comment

• Who'da thunk the lowly potato, that did not arrive from the New World until the latter part of the 1500's and did not become popular in Russia before 1830, would become the source of the signature drink!

This is another example of technology in action -- the sailing ship and horse-drawn wagon.

Cheers!

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                        Who'da thunk the lowly potato, that did not arrive from the New World until the latter part of the 1500's and did not become popular in Russia before 1830, would become the source of the signature drink!

This is another example of technology in action -- the sailing ship and horse-drawn wagon.

Cheers!
                        What was the alcoholic drink of choice before vodka? They can't grow many grapes, so it had to be some type of grain alcohol.

Comment

• Most anything that has sugar in it can be fermented. Grains to make beers. Honey to make mead. Fruits to make brandy. Even mares milk can be fermented and drunk. And in cold climes they would put it out side in winter then throw away the parts that froze first, leaving behind the higher alcohol content.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                            What was the alcoholic drink of choice before vodka? They can't grow many grapes, so it had to be some type of grain alcohol.
                            I had no clue about what preceded 'Vodka' until I did a quick Wikipedia search.

Evidently the term 'Vodka' predates the introduction of the potato by a few centuries with the 8th century and 9th century for Russia mentioned. The distilled version appears to have made it to Russia in the mid to late 1300's --- and, yes, grains are and were among the sources of sugars for fermentation.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2014, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Naw, Stan, they really were production steel Grendel cases. They were shown at Shot 2013, I actually had some...
                              Yeah, I was just jesting, Bill. I know they were real. I think I even had one of those dummy rounds, myself. Don't now recall what I did with it, though. Danged CRS...

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

LOL! I said it was a rumor, and as all things rumored to be from Russia, it must be taken with a grain of salt! But the old saying goes, "Where there's smoke there's fire!"
                                So, are you going to do the decent thing and spread the rumor, or keep us in suspenders?

I mean, just 'cause we can't see the gunfire is no reason to keep us from smelling the gunsmoke...

Comment

Working...
                                X