Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel case Ammo update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TheOTHERmaninblack View Post
    Have they given a specific month before?
    TOMIB:

To my recollection it has always been a quarter. I don't see how they can predict what month any individual may see this ammo.

I think the first promises from Wolf started about five years ago. We have heard 'next quarter' for years, now.

My predictions? I am certain that within the next four years we will either see it on the shelves in the USA or it will have died.

I wouldn't be jumping with joy over this stuff either until others have shot a couple thousand rounds of it out of their rifles. Steel case ammo will not do a chamber any good to begin with and our experience with the Wolf 123 Soft Point ammo was sufficient for many of us to wait and see what happens when the first lots of Wolf Steel Case have been used for a while.

I surely would not buy that much of it when it does come out until I am sure it doesn't suck like the Wolf 123 SP stuff does.

LR1955

Comment

After reading the luckygunner test on steel cased/ bi-metal ammo. I dont know if I even want to shoot steel anymore.

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

So is the point of this post the cost of Wolf being less $$$? I gave 100 cases of brass to a reloader and he charged me $.35 a round to reload and he supplied the primer, powder and projectile. I gave him another 100 cases again at the Sept. Gun Show and he will be back with it in October. This time I gave him 50 SST's @ 129gr and 50 Barnes TAC-TX 100gr. He'll give me the cost when he gets back to the next VA Gun Show. I also am ordering him a Grendel Handbook so he has all possible info. I told him to use the same powders in the book so I'll have the loads your developing.

So moral to my post, reloading is much more cost effective even if yo use an outside re-manufacturer.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          I think the first promises from Wolf started about five years ago.
          Yup. 2008 was when the steel cased FMJ ammo was first listed on the Wolf site.
          We have heard 'next quarter' for years, now.
          Sad, but true. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post28015
          My predictions? I am certain that within the next four years we will either see it on the shelves in the USA or it will have died.
          Curiously, for the first time, I feel optimistic. I'm actually thinking it really will arrive this December.

Comment

• TheOTHERmaninblack
            Warrior
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
            So is the point of this post the cost of Wolf being less $$$? I gave 100 cases of brass to a reloader and he charged me $.35 a round to reload and he supplied the primer, powder and projectile. I gave him another 100 cases again at the Sept. Gun Show and he will be back with it in October. This time I gave him 50 SST's @ 129gr and 50 Barnes TAC-TX 100gr. He'll give me the cost when he gets back to the next VA Gun Show. I also am ordering him a Grendel Handbook so he has all possible info. I told him to use the same powders in the book so I'll have the loads your developing.

So moral to my post, reloading is much more cost effective even if yo use an outside re-manufacturer.

That's one aspect. The more important to my mind is ammo that's both cheap and disposable, in that we don't have to chase down spent brass with such religious fervor.

I want my Grendel to be my go-to rifle. Hell, I'd like to eventually transition the family basic rifles to Grendel. That means cheap practice/plinking ammo, but it also means that I want to do all of my practice/competition shooting with that same rifle.

At the moment, there are matches where you don't get to police up your brass, and that seems tear inducing with half dollar a throw brass. I'd really like to get into some 3 guns, but don't want to have to use a different rifle with different handling characteristics/holdovers/recoil just because I can't stomach throwing away $150 worth of brass per match.

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by TheOTHERmaninblack View Post
              That's one aspect. The more important to my mind is ammo that's both cheap and disposable, in that we don't have to chase down spent brass with such religious fervor.

I want my Grendel to be my go-to rifle. Hell, I'd like to eventually transition the family basic rifles to Grendel. That means cheap practice/plinking ammo, but it also means that I want to do all of my practice/competition shooting with that same rifle.

At the moment, there are matches where you don't get to police up your brass, and that seems tear inducing with half dollar a throw brass. I'd really like to get into some 3 guns, but don't want to have to use a different rifle with different handling characteristics/holdovers/recoil just because I can't stomach throwing away $150 worth of brass per match.
              This is why I made the Brass Snatcher. Not one case in my yard and when I'm at the gun range, it all goes home with me. I take them and store for reloading in those plastic Chinese carry out dishes. They hold about 100 Grendels or Beowulfs per tub. 556's go into the big coffee cans but I don't do anything with them but collect for now.

Comment

• IndyGrendel63

Saw a magazine at Wal-mart today and I think this is what Bill A. has been working on with the Ruskies instead of getting the Grendel ammo up and running someone has been working on a scaled up AK/VEPR chambered in 338 Lapua magnum.

I'm just sayin'

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

He is the developer, not the ammo manufacture. Also that is one bad a$$ rifle. It's been out for a while now and being tested with good results. Then there won't be any 338 ammo. Back to the same issue.

Comment

• RebelLibertarian

Originally posted by Bronz View Post
                    After reading the luckygunner test on steel cased/ bi-metal ammo. I dont know if I even want to shoot steel anymore.
                    Keep in mind that the barrel wear was due to the steel cores of the cheap bullets used in Wolf and Brown Bear's 5.56 rounds. The article didn't say anything about a steel case wearing out the chamber as it was extracted, etc.

Comment

• XcountryRider

I talked to a guy who talked to a guy and he said the Russians are shipping in steel case 3rd quarter 2014

Comment

Originally posted by IndyGrendel63 View Post
                        Saw a magazine at Wal-mart today and I think this is what Bill A. has been working on with the Ruskies instead of getting the Grendel ammo up and running someone has been working on a scaled up AK/VEPR chambered in 338 Lapua magnum.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/08/2...-lapua-magnum/ I'm just sayin'
                        I would love to get my hand on one of these its,, not a scaled up AK its based of DP 28 Machine Gun operating system, does not have much in common with that really.

Comment

• hellcat370

Called Wolf again today. The guy I spoke to (didnt catch his name) said that the info thier getting is its still 4th quarter of THIS year, 2013. Said it should be here in a couple months. he mentioned Shot Show, so that may be the big unveiling.

Comment

Well, Wolf did unveil that ammo @ the 2013 SHOT show. We saw pictures of it like 10 months ago They just havn't sold us any yet. That guy you spoke to,was his name "Peggy"?

Comment

• montana
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

That guy you spoke to,was his name "Peggy"?[/QUOTE]

LOL, Good one

Comment

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                                I talked to a guy who talked to a guy and he said the Russians are shipping in steel case 3rd quarter 2014
                                XcountryRider, I tried to go even farther ... I went as far as talking to that guy's second-cousin's barber's next door neighbor. As near as I could tell, he knew nothing about ammo. I learned quite a bit about vodka, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X