The smallest and possibly closest deer by a Grendel so far.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Congrats on a successful hunt.

Seems ironic using a long-range cartridge to take the shot at 9 paces. But the unpredictability is part of the appeal of hunting.
    Drifter

Comment

• Gamecock84

Red as in like a stag? 22 stones is gigantic. Biggest deer we kill here are 100kg and that is somewhat rare.

When I kill a smaller doe I use all the meat for jerky. Literally my favorite thing to do to venison.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

My family and I cut up all of our meat our selves. Butter fly steaks are my favorite especially the loin and back straps. I also make roast and jerky, but I do prefer elk over deer. White tail taste the best and I will go for a big doe if I have the tags. I try to avoid mule deer bucks especially in the rutting season. We also boil the heart in salt water and it taste like the best roast beef money can buy. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

Nice harvest buddy, congrats. looks like the bullet performed very well. Great pics thanks for sharing. esp. the exit wound. i may switch from my noslers to hornady lol.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Gamecock84 View Post
            Red as in like a stag? 22 stones is gigantic. Biggest deer we kill here are 100kg and that is somewhat rare.

When I kill a smaller doe I use all the meat for jerky. Literally my favorite thing to do to venison.
            Reds are essentially what we call elk. In New Zealand, where both were imported, they actually cross breed.

Thus, you have to think elk sized animal, not really deer sized.

Comment

• Buck2732
              Warrior
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Gamecock84 View Post
              To quote from the DCS1 book (a course taken by me so I can sell venison boar etc)

Woodland Red (The ones I have transiting) height at shoulder Stags 48" (120cm) Hind 45" (115cm)
              Average live adult weight Stag 400lb (180kg) Hind 270lb (120kg)

Your average hill stag (Think your iconic Scottish image) height at shoulder Stags 44" (112cm) Hind 41" (105cm)
              Average live adult weight Stag 250lb (95kg) Hind 180lb (80kg)

I have no idea how that equates to moose/elk as it's a different species. Though I don't doubt they interbreed as we have problems with hi-breeds here namely the sika/red cross.

These are the main reason why our rifles have to be above 1700 ft/lb, with a minimum cal of .240 to be deer legal for Roe deer and above. I could have shot her with my .223 which has to be above 1000 ft/lb min bullet weight 50grn. But as I have Roe in the area I am kind of pushed in to taking the Grendel or my .303. You think you laws are mad, Ireland and Scotland have there own. They mean that the Gren in Scotland is legal, however with certain loads the .303 is not.
              Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

• sportsnut
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2017

Just curious as to how much meat that SST tore up?

Comment

Working...
                X