• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

how to hold upper reciever?

i am going to mount my new barrel to the upper and the standard upper reciever holding block wont fit this DPMS smooth side upper i am using. how ca i hold this thing without damage? please help
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

DPMS block doesn't work with DPMS receiver?

Drifter

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

actually i got it. that upper reciever isnt a standard size, its thicker but the holder worked. now the problem is the flash suppressor i have, it stops at just past where i want it. so i would have to go almost a full turn to get it where it needs to be. thats not a good idea i would think. what should i do about this?

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

You need a "crush washer". Brownells or AA should have it. Just make sure it's the right size. I'd link to one, but I'm out of time to look it up. Sorry....
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Just a side note. When installing the flash suppressor don't tighten it while in the upper receiver clamp. Clamp on barrel when adjusting the flash suppressor. You don't want to put radial torque on your aluminum receiver, not good,

Comment

• Keep The Change
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

Very good point Whelenon. You could put additional torque on the barrel nut to upper interface, but then you're pulling on the barrel as you torque the flash supp you are putting a big moment on the upper. Just like a cheater bar. The barrel nut flange will compress into the upper mating surface on one side and then barrel nut will be acting on the threads on the other side.

Comment

• kbarnes12
              Warrior
              • Nov 2011

I have read where people without an upper block have used a cheap pair of scope rings mounted to the upper then, the rings are placed into a vise to hold the upper.
              sigpic
              Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

• babaganoush
                Warrior
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by kbarnes12 View Post
                I have read where people without an upper block have used a cheap pair of scope rings mounted to the upper then, the rings are placed into a vise to hold the upper.
                I've actually used an old, crappy riser for just that. It provided support along the full length of the rail, and I didn't care what happened to the the riser in the vise.

My DPMS Sportical "smooth side" has proven to be a bit more of a pain than I'd envisioned when I bought it, and I've had to get creative with it, more than once (free float tube, etc).

I've also heard from some people who've experienced issues, first hand, that use of the DPMS upper receiver block tool (not a clamshell) is inviting trouble, as they tweaked or bent their uppers while using one. It seems a block of nylon just doesn't provide a great deal of support at the mount points, and I'm told they allow some torsion along the axis of the upper.

On the plus side, this upper is proving to be a vary stable and rigid platform for one of my best shooters.

David
                Last edited by babaganoush; 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM.
                "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

I made a block set up out of oak wood. I cut piece of oak wood I used for some cabinets to 1-1/4"w x 3/4"h x 8"L , put a notch 7/8" wide and 3/8" deep down the center to fit the picatinny flat top. I did the same for the bottom of the upper but put a 1/2" slot 5/8" deep to let the take down pins fit into it. Works great for free. This holds the upper sideways and sandwiches it on the flat sides so there is no stress on the body of the upper and zero twist ability.

Now I saw the exact same thing for $79 on JP Rifles made out of Aluminum. I think he copied my idea.... http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPVC

Also Squirrel Daddy Gun Vise had the same thing. http://www.squirreldaddy.com/AR-15-M...s-p/20-135.htm

Swear I didn't see there's before I made mine but great minds think alike...

Comment

• babaganoush
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post

Heh - only so many ways to get a square peg into a square hole, you know.
                    "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• Tedward
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2013

copy that..... If you have time, tools and can measure, you can save a lot of money... To me making my parts, modifying and being creative is just as fun as driving tac's!

Comment

• dammitman
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2012

i actually finally got it all done. i had the clamshell type of reciever holder and although it didnt fit the DPMS smooth side upper reciever all the way it held more than enough to install the barrel. the flash hider and the crush sleeve i had was just a bit of trouble. i knew better than to try and cruch almost a full turn on the barrel so i used a 5/8 fine thread bolt and washers and nuts to crush it off the gun a little at a time until i had it right where i needed and then fit the last bit on the barrel. problem solved! thanks for the help folks, getting this barrel was my last item needed and i was determined to get this assembled.

Comment

• customcutter

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                          I made a block set up out of oak wood. I cut piece of oak wood I used for some cabinets to 1-1/4"w x 3/4"h x 8"L , put a notch 7/8" wide and 3/8" deep down the center to fit the picatinny flat top. I did the same for the bottom of the upper but put a 1/2" slot 5/8" deep to let the take down pins fit into it. Works great for free. This holds the upper sideways and sandwiches it on the flat sides so there is no stress on the body of the upper and zero twist ability.

Now I saw the exact same thing for $79 on JP Rifles made out of Aluminum. I think he copied my idea.... http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPVC

Also Squirrel Daddy Gun Vise had the same thing. http://www.squirreldaddy.com/AR-15-M...s-p/20-135.htm

Thanks for posting this. Time to fire up the milling machine. I'll use aluminum, if I have some scraps big enough, if not the wood it is.

Comment

You don't need any special tools for the DPMS lo-pro upper. Just cut some pieces of plastic cutting board on a table saw so you have L beams, place them in the vice as insulators, and turn the receiver sideways. As long as your vice jaws aren't longer than the distance between the pivot pin and take down pin lugs, you're GTG.

Or, you can use circular insulators for the barrel, and hold the barrel while you torque the barrel nut, as depicted in the M16 armorer's manual.

Comment

• customcutter

Hadn't thought of that. I have some UHMW that I made to cover the 4" jaws on my vise, when I made custom knives. Will 4" fit between the pin lugs on the upper?

thanks,
                              CC

Comment

Working...
                              X