• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dega37
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    Vice inserts. Some use aluminum.

I use Delrin or Urethane. You can get them at hardware stores.

That is what you use for securing a receiver, not a barrel right?

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dega37 View Post
      What do you all use for the barrel vise between the clamps and the barrel?
      Mainly use a Davidson barrel vise with a thin wrap of cardboard or leather to not mar the barrel finish.

Sometimes a pair of barrel clamps like these;

For a one-off job you can drill a hole (slightly smaller than the barrel diameter) down the join of two wood blocks clamped together. The wood will mould around the barrel as you do up the vise.

Comment

• Fredman
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

I'm not good with links, but I use the Geissele reaction rod. No stress on receiver.

Comment

• jurassic
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I use this version, I found it on sale for about $100.00 awhile back, nothing better. They work with any style of upper and will let you break loose impossibly over tightened factory installed barrel nuts.

Comment

• Rickc
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

Why anyone installing.a barrel on an AR doesn't use the reaction rod.is.beyond me.

Another necessity in my opinion is a lapping.tool for the.reciever face for two reasons. Squares up the.mating.surface between the barrel extension and reciever face and makes timing.the barrel nut and gas tube a piece of cake.

The wheeler gas tube alignment tool will give you perfect gas tube alignment.

Last for a precision AR15 i reccomend blue locktite on the barrel extension if you don't have a really tight fit in the reciever. Do not locktite the barrel nut.

I never use a flash supressor.or brake on AR barrels but if i did i would.use my barrel vise to eliminate.any of.the.stress on the reciever.
            Last edited by Rickc; 01-14-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Rickc
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              Mainly use a Davidson barrel vise with a thin wrap of cardboard or leather to not mar the barrel finish.

Sometimes a pair of barrel clamps like these;

For a one-off job you can drill a hole (slightly smaller than the barrel diameter) down the join of two wood blocks clamped together. The wood will mould around the barrel as you do up the vise.
              Yep

I use this.one for barrel changes on my savage switchbarrel.

Comment

• 82HALO
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by dega37 View Post
                That is what you use for securing a receiver, not a barrel right?
                Nope, for the barrel!

Comment

• Check-Raiser
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2017

I use a DPMS upper reciever action block (the one that pins the upper in place) for forward assist assembly, attaching scopes, and bolting on rails. I use the Geissele Reaction rod for the barrel nut and muzzle devices. For some barrel nuts, a barrel nut/gas tube alignment gauge has been very handy.

Comment

• diddlyv
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

I got the brownell tool for something like $46
                    Queen of Battle
                    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Mindreader1
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2016

Which vise do y'all use? Mine keeps slipping downward when I tried to put more than 30 lb-ft for the barrel install

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mindreader1 View Post
                        Which vise do y'all use? Mine keeps slipping downward when I tried to put more than 30 lb-ft for the barrel install
                        Can you take a photo of what you are talking about. That shouldn't be happening.

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

Sounds like a round bore vise, one you can rotate around to theoretically change the angle of the work being clamped.

Or not.

Try putting your torque at 12 o'clock so you are pulling away from the vice instead of pushing down.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Or not...

Let's be patient and wait for the photos.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                              I don't look at anything when lining up the gas tube hole to the barrel nut and upper receiver. I tighted the barrel nut to the snug position, 20ft lbs or so, the next hole will be as tight as it will need to be. I put the gas tube thru the upper toward the barrel nut (Backwards direction) and apply a little pressure, or have my son push it softly toward the barrel nut. When it lines up, it slides thru. Then I pull it out and it goes right in from the other side.

So my son is not always there. So I put a rubber band on the end of the gas tube, I use an old rubber barrel thread protector as a cup, put the other end on a quick disconnect picatinny block, I mounted to the upper rail, and again, apply a little pressure using the rubber band and wala, it pops thru when the hole lines up as I tightened the barrel nut and the gas tube holes are lined up.

I've done numerous uppers this way and all work fine, gas tube to carrier key, you always have to go to the next hole so don't under tighten. If it feels to tight and you haven't gotten to the hole for line up, loosen the barrel nut back a 1/4 turn and it will turn a little further the second or third time you tighten it. You don't have a lot of chances so apply the correct pressure and then use the gas tube as your feeler gauge. Well thats what I do with success.
                              This is genius. I installed mine yesterday using the Brownells tool and a .007 shim from Brownells. I had the barrel hanging in the barrel nut wrench and just removed it and sighted through the receiver to check for a clear round hole. It took a bit of tightening and loosening to get it just right. I should have put the tube in the receiver with a rubber band while tightening as you do. Afterwards I slid the BCG back and forth in the receiver making sure it did not clip the end of the gas tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X