• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 81police
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

Grendel VS Texas Hogs: PART III

We haven't done much hunting in the last 8 weeks but we did manage to make it out this weekend to do some work. Slipped out on the river Saturday night and encountered this 200lb boar at approx. 150 yards.

This was the first hog taken with the new JP upper and the first hog with a 123gr. Hornady SST. This round definitely got the job done, the round hit him square on the shoulder and he ran 20 yards and flopped. I looked as best I could but did not find an exit wound, which is something I've grown accustomed to using Barnes TSX's in the past. The JP upper likes Hornady's better so that's its sole diet now.

Last edited by 81police; 08-18-2013, 01:43 AM.
    John 11:25-26

Attaboy. Busting the shoulder of a bruiser like that is a tough test for the SST. No worries.

Comment

• Blacklab
      Warrior
      • Mar 2012

One word NICE!!!!!
      Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

Nice hunting story and picture. What muzzle velocity are you getting with the 123gr SST from your JP 18" w/RLGS?

Comment

• denimdeerslayer
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2013

Great job.

Comment

• 81police
            Warrior
            • Feb 2013

LRRPF52, I don't know muzzle velocity as I don't have a chronograph.

The JP upper is a tack driver I know that much, it's also very LOUD (which is expected)! We're using Grendel's exclusively here now, this makes the 18th hog downed since Jan 2013. Coming from guys who used to use 270Win's, 257 Weatherby Mags, and 300Win Mags, this little intermediate cartridge is very impressive. It holds it's own that's for sure.

Comment

Good job on that hog. If you recover the SST, please post a pic of what's left. Thanks for the hunting report.

Comment

Originally posted by 81police View Post
                LRRPF52, I don't know muzzle velocity as I don't have a chronograph.

The JP upper is a tack driver I know that much, it's also very LOUD (which is expected)! We're using Grendel's exclusively here now, this makes the 18th hog downed since Jan 2013. Coming from guys who used to use 270Win's, 257 Weatherby Mags, and 300Win Mags, this little intermediate cartridge is very impressive. It holds it's own that's for sure.
                Yup. There isn't a lot of incentive to break out grandpa's/daddy's Model 70 or Weatherby once you have shot the Grendel and see what it's capable of, with such little recoil and low weapon weight.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Nice job 81- we all need to switch to the midsize Grrr for most of our, midsize game - meat taking. Can always go on to larger game, using the Grendel,= find the right bullet combo firstly.
                  Never over estimate the rounds power downrange--before doing some ballistic -background work=see what the round will do-at close in... & at the ranges you expect to shoot-hunt at.
                  Be prepared for whatever pops up , at unknown distances.

I sold off all of my older magnums-.308;s 8mm's-7mm Mag. ==too much recoil, and wt. to lug.
                  The mighty Grrrr-endel does almost all the work of the-my- previous rounds=I don't shoot past 200 yds. , typically.

It's a beauty-this small 6.5 unit, Bill A. did an awesome job., he did have some help -beforehand tho...Hat's off to them also. Arne, & ?? -they were the forerunners of this round.

Comment

Congrats on the pig kill. That's a nice lookin hog. I was admiring you hunting atttire. I wish I counld hunt is shorts. We can't go unload our gear without breaking a sweat. How did you keep your shirt so dry?

Comment

• 81police
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Shivesy View Post
                      Congrats on the pig kill. That's a nice lookin hog. I was admiring you hunting attire. I wish I counld hunt is shorts. We can't go unload our gear without breaking a sweat. How did you keep your shirt so dry?
                      you know when it's 100+ degrees you stop caring how dorky shorts and snake boots looks! HAHA Shirt's one of those Columbia moisture wick types, very lightweight. Believe you me, in that heat a stand starts to feel more like a slow roast oven, I'm not sure who was sweatier, me or the swine.

Comment

• Tedward
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2013

What scope are do you have on top of that setup?

Comment

• 81police
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2013

Trijicon 3x9x40mm

Comment

• 81police
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2013

Something tells me we've been pig hunting a little too long...

hog # 20 for the year, two 6.5's pictured.

Comment

Hilarious...but how do you get a good cheek weld with that thing on?

Comment

Working...
                              X