• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Training This Week?

OK guys.

What firearms training did you do this week and how did it go?

LR1955
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I practiced 4 times this week for a local USPSA match this Sunday. I shot over a thousand rounds of 40 SW. It has been very hot out here so I have to wrap my pistol in a wet rag to cool it down between my sets. I shot my Grendel at some gongs that are at 300 yards one time this week in the prone, standing and sitting position. LIFE IS GOOD

Comment

• Michael
      Warrior
      • Jan 2012

Sigh...I had shoulder surgery in May after an injury in January. My firearms training has been very curtailed the last several months.

I suck.
      I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
      - Voltaire

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
        I practiced 4 times this week for a local USPSA match this Sunday. I shot over a thousand rounds of 40 SW. It has been very hot out here so I have to wrap my pistol in a wet rag to cool it down between my sets. I shot my Grendel at some gongs that are at 300 yards one time this week in the prone, standing and sitting position. LIFE IS GOOD
        Montana:

When you practice with the pistol and rifle for the IPSC stuff, what is your routine and why? I am sure guys here are spinning their wheels sometimes so new ideas are always welcome.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Sigh...I had shoulder surgery in May after an injury in January. My firearms training has been very curtailed the last several months.

I suck.
          Mike:

So, when your shoulder gets better -- what will you do?

Comment

I dry fired 100 rounds each day and shot an 800 agg across the course on last Sunday and will shoot a 500 agg tomorrow and 800 again on Sunday.
            Bob

Comment

• Michael
              Warrior
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              Mike:

So, when your shoulder gets better -- what will you do?
              Right now, I am working on supervising my wife in her shooting .22 rifle and pistol. We'll say it is a work in progress.

First priority is develop loads for the 6.5G firing the 120gr Barns TSX for deer season. have the components, but reloading one handed is like shooting one handed for me - an exercise in futility. We won't talk about the 100 primers I dumped to learn this lesson.

Second priority is to put a hundred rounds through both my .45 and 9mm (I consider pistol to be my weakest area) in a variety of drills - from the holster, double tap, failure to stop, magazine change, etc. Distances for my pistol work is usually between 3 and 15m. I have enough reloaded ammo and reloading materials to do 100rd sessions several times.

Third priority is running some combat shooting with my go to rifle (semi 5.56 M4 with Trijicon RCO). Firing at targets from 25 to 200m. Double tap, failure to stop, multiple targets drills, turning drills, magazine change and retention drills. Don't have a lot of ammo to play with this, hoping prices will come down soon so as not to deplete the ammo fort. Only reload for my varmint gun with 5.56, so I don't have a lot of components for this type of shooting.

Finally, dial in my Grendel for Bambi's dad.
              I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
              - Voltaire

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                Montana:

When you practice with the pistol and rifle for the IPSC stuff, what is your routine and why? I am sure guys here are spinning their wheels sometimes so new ideas are always welcome.
                It depends on how hard core a person wants to get. We have a grandmaster and a master shooter who have Mike Seeklander come to our range at different times each year to teach courses in competition , basic and self defense shooting in rifle and handgun. These guys probably shoot between 50 to 70 thousand rounds a year and are very good. Mike Seeklander has a very good instruction manual and courses that is second to none that I have seen. I would recommend a new person or even an experienced shooter to take a course from a qualified instructor like Mike Seeklander if practical shooting is your goal. One could also join a local club like I did where the members are more than willing to show you the ropes, " that is until you start to become competition" LOL. One of my favorite methods of training is shooting A zone size metal targets at different distances. It gives instant feed back to the shooter when shooting 2, 4, or 6 rounds per target. My best advise is to set goals you want to achieve and enjoy the journey. I have seen too many good shooters get frustrated at their performance and quit. Top shooters make it look easy but most people don't realize the time, money and effort that was put into it. Compete against your self and use other good shooters accomplishments as a bar for your own capabilities. I always get a kick out of a small woman shooter in our club who can deflate most of the men competitors ego very fast. Shooting can be the most frustrating ,aggravating, pain in the back side skill a person will ever love pursuing.
                Last edited by montana; 07-12-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Guys:

Very much like Bob. Dry fire three times a week but not more than 30 minutes per session. Live fire twice a week for about two hours per session. And then a match of some sort two or three weekends a month. Practices are way more fun and way less expensive than competing.

I imagine dry firing has become more popular due to the lack of ammunition and components. My advice for guys who want to dry fire is to have some really well defined goals and a means of assessing them while dry firing. There are different dry fire drills that are used for different purposes. Some enhance holding ability, others speed, and all of them enhance position development. I find about 20 minutes of dry firing and my fun meter has been pegged. In addition, the law of diminishing returns sets in real fast.

Who else out there did their practice this week?

LR55

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

Laser Lyte or similar products may extend the time you find it amusing. Especially with reflex firing sidearms, but with .223 or 300blk uppers you can use those bore-lasers as well. But, the return for time with no recoil is still debatable obviously.

Comment

Working...
                    X