Grendel at Camp Perry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grendel at Camp Perry?

Is anyone using the Grendel at the National Matches at Camp Perry?
    I live about thirty minutes away and would love to see how they are doing with it!
    Grendel all the way!
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mav714 View Post
    I live about thirty minutes away and would love to see how they are doing with it!
    Grendel all the way!
    Been tried with some success, but no championships. The money is on 6mm Turbo or another 6mm called the 6mm Hagar. Carl Bernosky has used the Hagar with great results.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mav714 View Post
      Grendel all the way!
      Mav:

Velocities are way, way, too slow to give an edge in the Match Rifle category.

I am not competitive in High Power anymore but did shoot my Grendel a couple weeks ago in a 800 agg match. Shot just fine at 200 and 300 and had huge problems at 600 due to very difficult wind conditions. 123 Lapua at about 2500 fps is what I can get out of it safely from my Match Rifle gas gun. Reminded me of the days shooting M-14's with the old 168 grain Match loads. Constantly cranking windage every time you saw even the slightest change in mirage or wind flags. And constantly losing points I wouldn't have lost shooting a 6 AR.

LR1955

Comment

• majbdrake
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2014

It's my desire to shot my new 20" 6.5 Grendel AR next season. I'm not a barn-burner trickshot or anything like that so I just go to shoot the match and try to get a Personal Best each time I do a match.

Bruce

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Look at CFE223 with the 107gr SMK or 108gr Scenar. I think you will be surprised with what speeds you can get. I'm getting a very comfortable 2550fps from a 16" with 123gr A-MAX with that powder. I started to see slight signs of departure in the mid 2600fps region.

I've had some batches of safety ladders worked up using CFE to get an idea of where my carbine stands with regard to velocity and consistency with Hodgdon's CFE223. 123gr A-MAX First I had a suspicion that Hornady's data in the 9th Edition for 120-123gr pills could be based on the least common denominator of the projectile

Several forum members collaborated and we have published 2 Reloading Handbooks for the 6.5 Grendel.

You can order here: http://ar15buildbox.com/Home_Page.html
          Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-22-2014, 08:40 PM.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• majbdrake
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2014

My LGS has plenty of CFE but no 6.5 bullets!

thankfully, I have a bunch of 120's to start building loads but I need to find those 107 SMKs!

Bruce

Comment

• NoOne
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2014

My 20 inch Alexander Arms barrel seems to prefer loads around 2450-2550 fps with various 123 grain bullets. Great for practical rifle matches on steel out to 600 yards where fast shooting, and low recoil are advantages. There are other cartridges I would use when shooting on paper with generous times to complete the shot string.

Comment

Working...
              X