• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
    Like that stick Bjorn. Do you heat gb after install to melt wax? I vaguely remember the thread but forgot the fine details.
    Yes, I used a hairdryer to soften the beeswax and then compressed air to ensure it cleared out the gas port before installing the gas tube.

Now I need to get a good optic before taking LRPFF52's DM course in Sept (hopefully!).
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2017

Resurrecting an old thread because you linked it here:
      I'm mulling over various scopes for a lightweight mountain rifle... I just recently bought a Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP scope...really nice and I like the illumination (necessary for low light use, particularly in dark timber). However, it is an 18.6 oz scope (and I have other plans for it). I'd like to get down to 12-14

Being an Ultra Light rifle, I am a little curious about your logic behind a few components you selected. That is what I usually find most interesting about build threads - explaining the rationale used to arrive at your final config. There is no one "correct" answer. Only different variations to meet different needs and goals.

Why didn't you choose a lightened bolt carrier and buffer? The Young Mfg national match is actually slightly heavier than most, correct? I don't recall seeing what buffer you are using, but assuming at least 3.0 ounces. Also, why did you retain forward assist and the dust cover versus going with a "slick side" upper receiver?

As a fellow lightweight enthusiast I am well aware these changes are 'only' good for a few ounces here and there, but that is the nature of these builds. Ounces = pounds, as they say. I've found it's not all that difficult to go ultra light with the Armalite platform, but doing so without breaking the bank is the hard part! Fortunately, a slick side upper receiver is no more than a standard one, and there are a few affordable carriers on the market now including AIM and RTB. (Though I wish there were even more options for LW carriers.)

You could also go with an ultra light stock. There are quite a few on the market now. This can be more of a personal preference call as the CTR you have currently is not terribly heavy. There are lighter stocks for sure, but ergos can be detrimentally affected with the more extremely minimal stocks out there. Same could be said of the MIAD grip.

Again, just curious of your thinking that led you to your final combination of parts. I dig the build for sure.

Comment

• Steamburn
        Warrior
        • Apr 2015

Bjorn, I tried and failed searching for the LRRPF52's "melt job" mentioned in your notes. Would you please direct me to the LRRPF52's "melt job" instructions. Thanks.
        Last edited by Steamburn; 07-18-2017, 01:09 PM. Reason: orthographical correction

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

Love this build! Wish I would have went with a shorter MI Gen 2 SS handguards. Using the 15" on my 16" tube currently. Looks fine, but adds unnecessary weight.

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Timmy2Knives View Post
            Why didn't you choose a lightened bolt carrier and buffer? The Young Mfg national match is actually slightly heavier than most, correct? I don't recall seeing what buffer you are using, but assuming at least 3.0 ounces. Also, why did you retain forward assist and the dust cover versus going with a "slick side" upper receiver?
            I've slept a few times since then. IIRC, I selected Young NM for the quality and chromed M16 carrier. I don't believe they offered their super light carrier back then (or if they did, it wasn't available). Even then, there is only 2 oz difference.

As far as the forward assist goes, I favor having the forward assist regardless. The weight savings without isn't much.

Ultimately, most of the weight savings went in the barrel, hand guard, gas block and scope.

Originally posted by Timmy2Knives View Post
            You could also go with an ultra light stock. There are quite a few on the market now. This can be more of a personal preference call as the CTR you have currently is not terribly heavy. There are lighter stocks for sure, but ergos can be detrimentally affected with the more extremely minimal stocks out there. Same could be said of the MIAD grip.
            There are certainly a lot more stocks available now. Today I might have chosen a different stock if doing over again. At the time, I wanted an adjustable stock.

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Steamburn View Post
              Bjorn, I tried and failed searching for the LRRPF52's "melt job" mentioned in your notes. Would you please direct me to the LRRPF52's "melt job" instructions. Thanks.
              May be scattered throughout the sight in response to other threads.

I have read that some people like to polish their feed ramps..... Can anyone elaborate on just how exactly this is done? Do they also polish the portion of the feed ramp that is on the upper receiver? How does that affect the hard coating on the aluminum upper? Just want to be sure I get this right... So much to learn.

First step: Meltdown and polish barrel extension/feedramps... Then spend every available hour of the day for 1.5 weeks coating & baking layer after layer...

Maybe he can point to one all-inclusive thread?
              Last edited by BjornF16; 07-18-2017, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• Steamburn
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

what a coincidence, today in the morning was checking a YouTube about a S&W Shiels ant the OP mentioned a "melting job" and shows a specimen.

Comment

Working...
                X