• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Bjorn's Ultra Light build

Finally getting final components from long back order. Mating my Satern 14.5 Ultralight barrel (with integral flash hider to make it 16.1 inches) with AA upper receiver I noticed a bad "step" on the M4 ramps to barrel extender ramps.

So today I did my version of LRRPF52's "melt job" to get a continuous and smooth set of ramps.
    Attached Files
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Bjorn-I did the same meltdown procedure-via L-52's idea--he mentioned not to go tooo deep into the metal.
    I went easy upon it=it worked out great. Nice job Bjorn-pretty easy, right? The rifle feeds quite smoothly.

Nice pics. , Bjorn.

Comment

Nice job. I was also impressed with L-52 meltdown work. I need to put this on my winter to-do list. Can we look forward to pics of your soon to be completed lightweight Grendel?

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Thanks Sneaky & Whelenon…I had to take off more material on the extension than I thought I would.

Did some media blasting for paint prep today…before (shiny, on gray) and after (on camo) pics.

Hopefully lay on some Gun Kote tomorrow...
        Attached Files

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Here did you score that barrel?
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I just wanted to point out that none of the credit belongs to me on this pretty simple blending/polishing/extending technique, as it has been done by smiths and other shooters for a long time before I ever needed to do it. I do notice a difference in the way a cartridge feeds into the chamber after doing it though, especially with open-tipped projectiles that used to get hung-up on the transition from the ramp in the upper to the ramp on the extension.

You can also minimize some of the dings and scratches your brass undergoes during the feeding AND extracting cycles of operation. Also, many have found it beneficial to place pile tape (Velcro) on the brass deflector, although your brass usually impacts the trail edge of the ejection port during ejection.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Last edited by sneaky one; 07-21-2013, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Getting the barrel was pure luck…happened to call Satern quite a while ago and scored their very last UL. I've been hanging on to it waiting for an opportune time. Since my other two Grendels are somewhere in UT, this was a good time (I actually had some parts on order since December and they finally came in).

For the meltdown, I also knocked off the edges at 2 and 3 o'clock to minimize scratching on extraction.

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

After clearing brush and some mowing, got around to Gun Koting the barrel…flat black. Contemplating throwing some green and tan on the exposed barrel just to break it up. Thoughts?

Haven't installed gas block yet. Gotta have something for next weekend.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BjornF16; 07-22-2013, 01:49 AM.

Comment

I love that barrel with the deep fluting and the integral flash hider, ultra cool. I wouldn't diminish the appearance of the barrel with camo but that's just me.

Good choice on the MI Gen2 handguard, vert light weight. I also used one my 5.56 and just recently put another one my Grendel. On my Grendel I had to replace the JP adjustable gas block. No way would the MI handguard fit over it so I picked up a YHM Low Profile clamp-on gas block and on the bottom by the screws I had to grind off quite a bit of material to get clearance. It works fine but I would suggest the standard low profile set screw gas block. No problems with it which is what I used on my 5.56, plenty of clearance. Of course you probably knew that already.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2013, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• burkew23
                      Warrior
                      • May 2013

That barrel is amazing, I didn't know that Satern offered those types of barrels, makes me want to order one right now... Do they still make barrels with fluting like that?

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

b23 - You'd have to call Satern Machining to see if they still offer the lightweight barrels…this was manufactured before Grendel was SAAMI and Satern still had the required license to manufacture Grendel barrels.

I picked up a SLR Rifleworks DA7 16 position adjustable gas block…it fits fine under the MI hand guard. It appears to have the same size profile as the non-adjustable low profile blocks.

Comment

• BjornF16
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Bedded the gas block and barrel this evening, then finished assembly. She weighs a mere 5.45 lbs without any optic or magazine.

I captured a pic of the clearance between MI hand guard and DA7 gas block.

btw, I used the beeswax plug for gas port when bedding the gas block with Loctite…worked like a champ (can't remember who originally suggested that technique…whomever it was, I thank you!)

Young's Mfg N/M carrier rounds out the upper.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2014, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Like that stick Bjorn. Do you heat gb after install to melt wax? I vaguely remember the thread but forgot the fine details.

Comment

Working...
                              X