+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Grendel Bolt Action Build

Ralphob

My Grendel Bolt Action Build

Being a huge fan of the Grendel in the AR platform I really wanted one in a bolt action. After much research and being a stubborn DIY'er I decided to build one myself on a savage action. I used a Savage model 10 .308 wally world gun as the donor to get the action and a PPC bolt head from Pacific Tool and Gauge. The barrel is a Rock Creek 6.5 Grendel, 26 in Bull Barrel, 1 in 8 twist. I used a Richards Microfit Tac Driver stock which I finished and glass and pillar bedded. The scope is a leupold 6-18.

After shooting 50 rounds to break the barrel in I was able to stretch it out a bit. At 200 yards my group was .61 of a inch and at 300 yds it was 2.2 inches (I really need to practice at this distance and longer). I was using Lapua Brass, CCI 450's, Nosler CC 123's on top of 28 Grns of IMR 8208.

I have to say I am very happy thus far and I am looking forward to getting more range time in at longer distances. I am sure the weak link in this system is the shooter. The gun is a joy to shoot, no kick and the accutrigger is nice, so long as you don't try to pull it from the edge of the trigger as it will only go click. I got to believe that this caliber, with a sporter barrel, would make a fantastic deer rifle.

NRA Member, SAF Member Central Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphob View Post
    Being a huge fan of the Grendel in the AR platform I really wanted one in a bolt action. After much research and being a stubborn DIY'er I decided to build one myself on a savage action. I used a Savage model 10 .308 wally world gun as the donor to get the action and a PPC bolt head from Pacific Tool and Gauge. The barrel is a Rock Creek 6.5 Grendel, 26 in Bull Barrel, 1 in 8 twist. I used a Richards Microfit Tac Driver stock which I finished and glass and pillar bedded. The scope is a leupold 6-18.

After shooting 50 rounds to break the barrel in I was able to stretch it out a bit. At 200 yards my group was .61 of a inch and at 300 yds it was 2.2 inches (I really need to practice at this distance and longer). I was using Lapua Brass, CCI 450's, Nosler CC 123's on top of 28 Grns of IMR 8208.

I have to say I am very happy thus far and I am looking forward to getting more range time in at longer distances. I am sure the weak link in this system is the shooter. The gun is a joy to shoot, no kick and the accutrigger is nice, so long as you don't try to pull it from the edge of the trigger as it will only go click. I got to believe that this caliber, with a sporter barrel, would make a fantastic deer rifle.
    Awesome! But without pics it didn't happen!
    Gun Confiscation WILL NOT Happen In My Lifetime. Pat Kelley 1998

NOR IN MINE!

ricsmall
    +1on bwaites. Congrats on the build, but we need pics! BTW, how does the Grendel feed from the .308 box, or did you shorten/modify it?

Ralphob
    It wouldn't feed from the .308 box, the rounds would just fly out. I had to get a 7.62x39 box and follower from savage.

Ralphob
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ralphob
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bloodstained
    Thats a dead sexy rifle right there!

Whelenon
    Man that's nice, job well done. You can be proud of that one and it shoot great to boot. Thanks for the pics and build report.
    Last edited by Whelenon; 07-30-2013 at 03:46 AM.

LRRPF52
    Welcome. That is nice right there. What COL can you load the 123gr NCC to? .61" at 200yds? Yeah, horrible shooter...

gonzaga
    Just got to hate a gun that won't hold a good group......lol

I want a bolt gun!!!!

+ Reply to Thread