• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Marksmanship / Hunting / Firearms Related TV Shows

Guys:

Kentucky Buddah and Stan brought up TV shows that are oriented around marksmanship, hunting, and firearms.

Not bad.

Which ones do you guys watch and more importantly -- did you get anything of value out of any of them?

LR1955
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

In my limited experience...they are often barely more than infomercials, but yes i have learned on occasion. They had a fallacy edition of "Tac TV" with the former Delta guy Larry Vickers and I learned you pretty much can't overlube even in sand...and I learned the potentially lethal error of slide-slapping the M-9 (which I actually have).

I have watched "Top Shot" and seen gear I wanted that was not a sponsor so i had to do a bit of legwork to figure out what it was. lol Then there is the related show "Top Guns" in which the gear is more a star. I learned a fair amount in some of the episodes about older weapons, with which I am not terribly familiar.

Comment

I watch Handguns and Modern Rifle Adventures (AR hunting show) on Sportsman channel every now and then. If you looking for 2A news then it doesn't get much better then NRA News with Cam & company, also on sportsman channel.

Comment

• XcountryRider

I'm a Modern Rifle Adventures fan myself. I don't have broadcast TV but i bought season one on dvd.

Comment

• Y85
          Warrior
          • Sep 2012

Before Greg Rodriguez was murdered his show, A Rifleman's Journal, had great practical marksmanship tips. Greg told me about a week before he died that this season was going to be even better -- but it seems we'll never see those episodes. Even though it only ran one year, I thought Modern Rifle Adventures with Dick Metcalf and J. Guthrie (another young man gone too soon) was informative. I also enjoy MidwayUSA's Gun Stories. I agree that most hunting shows have too much hollering and serve as protracted commercials. I like that young kid Cody Robinson's Live2Hunt and I hunted with some of his friends in May and they say he is the real deal.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
            I'm a Modern Rifle Adventures fan myself. I don't have broadcast TV but i bought season one on dvd.
            XCR:

What is Modern Rifle Adventures about and is it worth watching?

LR55

Comment

• XcountryRider

Its a two season TV show about hunting with AR's. It was hosted by J. Guthrie but he died this spring. he was 38 or 39 years old if i remember correctly.

Comment

I don't think they ever did any hunting with the Gendel though, or at least I've never seen it. 6.8, .223, .22lr, .300 blackout are the only real calibers I've seen.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Allen View Post
                  I don't think they ever did any hunting with the Gendel though, or at least I've never seen it. 6.8, .223, .22lr, .300 blackout are the only real calibers I've seen.
                  Kind of strange that they wouldn't have used the Grendel. It is an ideal medium game cartridge.

Comment

I completely agree, but they were heavily sponsored by Remington.

Comment

• Ridgerider

Now on the hunt channel American Predator all about hunting fishing etc, oh and they will be using the Grendel in up coming shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen View Post
                        I completely agree, but they were heavily sponsored by Remington.
                        I liked Modern Rifles but Remington's sponsorship put it in a box. To bad about J. Guthries passing, he gave an honest opinion and pulled no punches, would've been a real contributor to the gun writing field.
                        Midway's Gun Stories is very good, I would like to see a lot more episodes.
                        The Gun Guys are entertaining and actually give their opinion about what they are evaluating.
                        Unlike, Guns&Ammo which gives the corporate line.
                        I don't have the patience for most of the hunting shows, most of them follow the same formula and aren't much more than infomercials
                        But, the first season of Dropped was very good. These guys got dropped off in the wilderness and if they didn't kill something they didn't eat. They did have a satellite phone and all the gear needed but on the ground they did it the hard way. It wasn't the go hunt in a box blind for the afternoon then go back to lodge at night and have steaks.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Kikn
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2011

I like to watch the pig man series. Mostly bow hunting. He is also a gunsmith and names custom rifles. Currently he is shooting 6.5 creedmore bolt gun. Among others.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2012

Right now my favorite is Sasquatch, but I do most of my hunting with a recurve our muzzle loader.
                            sigpic

Comment

I love Lords of War, they always have some antique or unusual weapon that they end up with, give a little history on. A very cool show!

Comment

Working...
                              X