• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

lee 6.5 grendel case length gage

Anyone know where I can find a couple of the Lee 6.5 grendel case length gages lee #90040E.
  • wheelguner
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

I got mine from Midway. I like the Lee Design for case trimming, but I personally think it is really misnamed. It sucks for determining case length. It should be called a caliber specific case trimmer. Here is Lee's description form their web site:

"Case Length Gauge is a precise, easy way to trim to length and square the case mouth. Used with the Cutter and Lock Stud or Zip Trim"

The Wilson (or AA) Chamber Gauge is to me a more useful tool for measurement, it tells if the case is too long and needs trimming as well as if a case or loaded round is to SAAMI specs.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
      Warrior
      • May 2011

midway doesn't have any in stock.

Comment

• dmsims21
        Warrior
        • Nov 2012

If you have a friend with a lathe o a cordless drill and file, you can turn a 7.62x39 case trimmer into a 6.5gr
        www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Lexx
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

I am using the lee case trimmer for 223 and it works fine. I would like to use the same tool for the grendel but have read that the flash hole on some brass is too small? Who has experience with the tool or what other alternatives (good tools) do you guys use to trim your grendel brass? Thank you!

Comment

• dmsims21
            Warrior
            • Nov 2012

If the gage is tool large for the flash hole, just chuck it in a drill and take a file to it.

I would check out this new unit from Frankford Arsenal. It should really cut down on case prep time, since you don't have to chuck the case and pick up different tools.

www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Sniper338
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

If you really want to get serious about reloading and measuring your chamber length to know your max length for your brass you need to get these for every caliber. They are available at sinclairs - chamber length guage product number 749-000-783WS.

For each of my rifles I take one piece of brass, then trim back the neck little by little, sometimes you have to play with a slightly wider resizing mandrel to open the neck up just slightly to be able to pull this thing back out if the neck.. OR... you can resize the case, trim back the neck little by little and use a bullet puller hammer to get this piece back out.

It works the same on all actions.. insert it into the case mouth, then slowly close the bolt on it. pull it back out and measure it, write that number down, repeat a few times to get a good data... then this will tell you EXACTLY what your max brass case length is, you will then know EXACTLY when you need to trim brass back a tad...

Sam principal works with finding the overall seating depth.. seat a bullet long, slowly close the bolt until you feel the bullet touch the lands, then measure with a rod and two rod stops from the muzzle end... this will tell you your EXACT max seating depth, then back off 10 ot 15 thousandths and start developing a load from that seating depth... after you find your load you can come back and twek the seating depth a bit to see if more or less on helps any.

Best way I have found.

Comment

• Sniper338
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Reason I say this is because the overall drop in case length guages usually arent as presice, as your actual chamber dimensions. I'd gone through all of this years and years ago, and my way works way better and my reloaded ammo and targets speak for their self.

ESPECIALLY FOR THE GRENDEL!!! The Grendel (at least in an AR platform) has been one of the hardest rounds I have ever reloaded for trying to find perfection in a load. All the tedious stuff I do has given me the results I always wanted.
                Last edited by Sniper338; 12-16-2014, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Lexx
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2014

Thx for the replies! I will look into all options.
                  Lexx

Comment

Working...
                  X