X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Wait, what??? You can't reload in Alaska of all places? I would think given the extremes, especially up in Barrow like was mentioned before, that is the place you would most benefit from it.

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
      Wait, what??? You can't reload in Alaska of all places? I would think given the extremes, especially up in Barrow like was mentioned before, that is the place you would most benefit from it.
      Yes we can reload, reloads are the only thing I shoot. The issue I was referring to is ordering components. We can't just order things from places like midway like folks in the lower 48 can. We have to buy it off the shelf here. That is just isolated to powder and primers.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
        Yes we can reload, reloads are the only thing I shoot. The issue I was referring to is ordering components. We can't just order things from places like midway like folks in the lower 48 can. We have to buy it off the shelf here. That is just isolated to powder and primers.
        OOOHHHHHH! Well, that makes somewhat more sense. I wonder if folks in Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks that live in a town can get stuff delivered ups or if it is just a problem rural folks have.

Comment

No they can't, it is an issue of ground transportation, for all intents we are an island because that kind of thing can't be shipped across Canada, so any powder, primer, explosive, or otherwise hazardous material must be sent by barge. So there are no shipping options of any kind for thi sort of item for the average Joe.

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

So should I be using CCI #41 primers for the Grendel? Bronz mentioned 223 and now confused. I see them at Midway and ordering other things and want to place the order.

Yes or no on #41 for Grendel???

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

That makes sense I suppose, I just figured UPS flies most of their stuff around the country and the only ground part would be within Alaska. I guess the income would just not not beat the overhead.

That was interesting, thanks.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                So should I be using CCI #41 primers for the Grendel? Bronz mentioned 223 and now confused. I see them at Midway and ordering other things and want to place the order.

Yes or no on #41 for Grendel???
                Yes in Grendel, interchangeable for recipe calling for 450. Can be used in 5.56, but not a great idea at all for .223 according to AA and Bwaites.

Comment

I use in almost all ar platform loads, In Grendel it works best with milspec hammer springs. "Gamer" style triggers and Match triggers its iffy depending on the alignment of the stars.

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

Ok, just got all my SST and Hornady Shell Holder from Midway. They have SST's if anyone is looking, 140gr $29 and 123gr $29.50.

The primers were #41's and $43.50 which was do-able but when I added to the cart at checkout, they added hazmat fee of $30 on top of $43.50 so for $75. I'll go the gun show next week and grab them and powder. Just wanted to get the SST's because there out of stock most of the time.

Comment

Thanks, Got some too, and they have AA brass again but AA still says they dont which confuses me again, how can a retailer get what a manufacturer cant make and sell?

Comment

• Tedward
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
                        Thanks, Got some too, and they have AA brass again but AA still says they dont which confuses me again, how can a retailer get what a manufacturer cant make and sell?
                        I agree with that too. I got a butt load of Beowulf too. Good for a few years.

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
                          I'll speculate that agreements between manufacturers and retailers might dictate that shipments occur on a regular basis. Or perhaps an item can not go for extended periods being out-of-stock with no replenishment, and still maintain active status with the retailer. An outfit like MidwayUSA is a significant business partner for many manufacturers, and doubt that they would want to risk losing the ability to sell an item there. Either way, the product is available to the consumer.

Also, keep in mind that the manufacturer (Lapua) and brand (AA) are different entities, and I don't know which would actually supply product to MidwayUSA.
                          Drifter

Comment

[QUOTE=bwaites;70736][B One item we did learn is that using Federal primers had a tendency to "empty mags real fast". So they are a no GO!!" [/I]Precision Firearms [/B]

Can someone explain this?(please).

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                              Can be used in 5.56, but not a great idea at all for .223 according to AA and Bwaites.
                              Is that due to the brass or the chamber?

Comment

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                                Is that due to the brass or the chamber?
                                I'm assuming that its because not all trigger groups with fire it off. Due mostly to the reduced power Hammer springs in some trigger groups.

Comment

Working...
                                X