• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pds
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

[QUOTE=davidj;71147]
    Originally posted by bwaites View Post
    [B One item we did learn is that using Federal primers had a tendency to "empty mags real fast". So they are a no GO!!" [/I]Precision Firearms [/B]

Can someone explain this?(please).
    I think is referring to slam fires that can happen when federal primers are used. That would be my guess.

pds

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=davidj;71147]
      Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      [B One item we did learn is that using Federal primers had a tendency to "empty mags real fast". So they are a no GO!!" [/I]Precision Firearms [/B]

Can someone explain this?(please).
      It means that the federals are subject to slam fires and the rifle can run like an open bolt machine gun. That has the effect of emptying the mag at 850 or so rounds per minute.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• ragedracer1977

Originally posted by davidj View Post
        Is that due to the brass or the chamber?
        CCI #41 are 'hotter'. They work just fine for .223. IF you work up your loads. It's no different than anything else, IMO. CCI #41 is all I've used in my .223 loads for as long as I can remember. I've fired close to 10,000 loads with them and WC844 (H335 equivalent) this year.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
          Warrior
          • Apr 2011

The trick is working up your loads. That can be difficult to do with a gas rifle. One can not totally rely on primer telltales and signs on a gas rifle. We have found that a drastically overloaded case does not reliably show signs of overpressure in a gas rifle. Best done with a piston rifle with the gas shut off or with the gas tube or block blocked off. That said, reducing the powder charge by 5% and using a magnum primer should be plenty safe in a rifle. Using a #41 Primer in place of a 450 is totally fine when using AA Load Data. Some load data, though, call for small rifles and so should be used with common sense and caution when replacing with a 450 or M41.

As for the question on Federal Match primers - I personally have seen Federal Match Primers cause "simulated" Full Auto fire - except letting up the trigger did not stop it the chain reaction! I even had some folks tell me how they like to load 3 Federals and then a CCI in their mags. I can only guess the reason.
          "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

FWIW, Federal offers an AR primer with harder cup:

Link: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...imers-for-ars/
            Drifter

Comment

• ragedracer1977

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
              The trick is working up your loads. That can be difficult to do with a gas rifle. One can not totally rely on primer telltales and signs on a gas rifle. We have found that a drastically overloaded case does not reliably show signs of overpressure in a gas rifle. Best done with a piston rifle with the gas shut off or with the gas tube or block blocked off. That said, reducing the powder charge by 5% and using a magnum primer should be plenty safe in a rifle. Using a #41 Primer in place of a 450 is totally fine when using AA Load Data. Some load data, though, call for small rifles and so should be used with common sense and caution when replacing with a 450 or M41.

As for the question on Federal Match primers - I personally have seen Federal Match Primers cause "simulated" Full Auto fire - except letting up the trigger did not stop it the chain reaction! I even had some folks tell me how they like to load 3 Federals and then a CCI in their mags. I can only guess the reason.
              You said it much more eloquently than I did. =)

Comment

Working...
              X