Range Report - 100 Gr TTSX & 123 AMAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Report - 100 Gr TTSX & 123 AMAX

I spent some time at the range yesterday. I tested a few loads. With all the talk of Barnes 100 grain TTSX, I decided to load up a few for whitetail.

The detail is below, my short summary is that I like PA_Allen's TTSX load of 30.0 grains 8208 XBR. I also tried 30.4 and 30.8 grains (max listed for 100 gr Nosler). With 30 grains I had .25" groups at 100 yds. 30.4 grains opened up drastically to 1.2" groups and 30.8 went back down to .3" groups. I'll go with the 30 grain load.

Chrony Grendel.jpg

Barnes TTSX.jpg

123 Grain AMAX, 28.5 Grain 8208 XBR
    Powder 8208 XBR
    Charge Weight 28.5 grains

Case Hornady
    Primer WSR
    COL 2.25”

Barrel 18”
    Chamber .264 LBC
    Make Loki Weapon Systems (shots with suppressor)
    Length 18”
    Twist 1:8
    Chronograph Model Chrony Beta Master
    Average Velocity 2560
    Number of rounds 10
    High Velocity 2566
    Low Velocity 2551
    Standard Deviation 4.9

Average Group Size in MOA .5”
    Distance 100 yds
    Largest Group Size 1”
    Smallest Group Size .5
    Number of shots per group 5

Temperature 90

100 Grain TTSX, 30 Grain 8208 XBR (PA_Allen’s load)
    Powder 8208 XBR
    Charge Weight 30.0 grains

Case Hornady
    Primer WSR
    COL 2.26”

Barrel 18”
    Chamber .264 LBC
    Length 18”
    Average Velocity 2793
    Number of rounds 10
    High Velocity 2805
    Low Velocity 2775
    Standard Deviation 8.8

Average Group Size in MOA .25”
    Distance 100 yds
    Largest Group Size .25””
    Smallest Group Size .25”

Temperature 90

100 Grain TTSX, 30.4 Grain 8208 XBR
    Powder 8208 XBR
    Charge Weight 30.4 grains

Case Hornady
    Primer WSR
    COL 2.26”

Barrel 18”
    Chamber .264 LBC
    Length 18”
    Average Velocity 2818
    Number of rounds 5
    High Velocity 2848
    Low Velocity 2777
    Standard Deviation 23.8

Average Group Size in MOA 1.2”
    Distance 100 yds
    Largest Group Size 1.2”
    Smallest Group Size 1.2”

Temperature 90

100 Grain TTSX, 30.8 Grain 8208 XBR
    Powder 8208 XBR
    Charge Weight 30.8 grains

Case Hornady
    Primer WSR
    COL 2.26”

Barrel 18”
    Chamber .264 LBC
    Length 18”
    Average Velocity 2860
    Number of rounds 5
    High Velocity 2872
    Low Velocity 2839
    Standard Deviation 11.3

Average Group Size in MOA .4”
    Distance 100 yds
    Largest Group Size .4”
    Smallest Group Size .4”

Temperature 90
    Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2013, 01:05 AM.
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Great report and thanks for sharing. You'll like the 100 TTSX on whitetail!
    Good luck hunting this year.
    Best,
    PA

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
      Warrior
      • May 2011

I agree with PA_Allen works great on deer, looks like it is grouping good for you as well

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Amazing group sizes and standard deviations. Well done!

Having competed in F Class/Target Rifle over the years I can tell you 0.25MOA for 5rds at 100yds is bench-rest performance. It exceeds all the 8kg bolt-action Stolle Panda's, BAT actions from medium to heavy palmer barrels (from people like Krieger, Tru-Flyte, Maddco etc). To also have single-figure SD's from a Chronograph which cautions in their literature there's an inbuilt 5% error is also remarkable.

Best I can get from an AR light-weight frame with the huge jump-to-lands fixed by the internal magazine length (max COAL 66.9mm) is about 0.8MOA (5rds) from a bench-rested heavy Lilja barrel in.223Wylde. Average groups for good ammo with careful re-loading is about 1MOA.

Well done indeed.

Comment

• Tedward
          Banned
          • Feb 2013

I was at the Gun Show in VA today. A guy said nice Beowulf, I was trying to sell, and we got on conversation about AA. I mentioned Grendel and off to the races we went.

He said he has a BHW 22" Grendel and uses he Barnes TTSX 100 Gr. for hunting hogs..AMAZING you just posted this.... He has been hog hunting and got a 300lb hog in Culpepper VA. a few weeks ago. WOW I said and he showed me the picture. Very BIG.. Him and a bunch of buddies hunt some farms and do it at night with night vision scopes. He said they have around $7,000 in just the scopes. It's not just go hunting, they have to set up stands and bate them in for weeks at a time.

Anyhow, back to the story, he said the Barnes TTSX is one of the best rounds to use on hogs for expansion and holding together. I menstioned Hornady SST's and he said he has used them but they fragment. He recommended the Barnes TTSX 120gr Spitzer Boat Tails for hogs.....out of stock at Midway.. Also another reason is every night he has to chamber a round and if you don't take the shot, you take it in and out 6 to 8 times and other bullets get damaged after 3 extractions. He said Barnes holds up to more in and out when not being discharged. Good point...

And one more thing. You are the first guy here to mention LOKI. I have a Billet Loki, is yours or do you have the forged???

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
            I was at the Gun Show in VA today. A guy said nice Beowulf, I was trying to sell, and we got on conversation about AA. I mentioned Grendel and off to the races we went.

He said he has a BHW 22" Grendel and uses he Barnes TTSX 100 Gr. for hunting hogs..AMAZING you just posted this.... He has been hog hunting and got a 300lb hog in Culpepper VA. a few weeks ago. WOW I said and he showed me the picture. Very BIG.. Him and a bunch of buddies hunt some farms and do it at night with night vision scopes. He said they have around $7,000 in just the scopes. It's not just go hunting, they have to set up stands and bate them in for weeks at a time.

Anyhow, back to the story, he said the Barnes TTSX is one of the best rounds to use on hogs for expansion and holding together. I menstioned Hornady SST's and he said he has used them but they fragment. He recommended the Barnes TTSX 120gr Spitzer Boat Tails for hogs.....out of stock at Midway.. Also another reason is every night he has to chamber a round and if you don't take the shot, you take it in and out 6 to 8 times and other bullets get damaged after 3 extractions. He said Barnes holds up to more in and out when not being discharged. Good point...

And one more thing. You are the first guy here to mention LOKI. I have a Billet Loki, is yours or do you have the forged???
            Thats good news on the barnes i was thinking they'd make awesome hog rounds. The 18in likes em and gets really good velocities with the 120gr.

Comment

Originally posted by Tedward View Post

Mine is a home build with parts from all over! That lower is a Rock River, the barrel and bolt were from Loki.

By the way - Cheaper than Dirt has Barnes 100 & 120 grain in stock online for a good price. I also saw Able's ammo had 100 grain, didn't look at 120s.

Comment

• Sputnik
                Warrior
                • May 2013

Assuming last entry of charge weight is a typo? The titled bold and the third line "charge weight" don't match. Nice groupings. I keep an eye out for successful loads for 123 gr pills; especially with CFE, 8208 and AR Comp. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
                  Assuming last entry of charge weight is a typo? The titled bold and the third line "charge weight" don't match. Nice groupings. I keep an eye out for successful loads for 123 gr pills; especially with CFE, 8208 and AR Comp. Thanks for the info!
                  Thanks, you are right. I did an edit on the title.

I have 8208 XBR on hand, Ive been watching for those loads also.

Comment

Working...
                  X