• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by noone View Post
    A simple solution just before hunting day would be to go to the range, fire a few shots, and leave a round that was fed by the magazine in the chamber for hunting day. That way, the round in the chamber should go where you want it to. Even though I always treat all guns as if they are loaded, I would still put a card on the rifle noting that it has a loaded chamber and to leave it alone.
    What is the purpose of leaving the round in the chamber from day before hunt?

Why not just place however many shots needed to foul the bore in the magazine, and load fresh the morning of a hunt?
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

While I disagree with the practice of leaving a live round in any weapon I don't have immediate possession and control of, the purpose of leaving a round in the chamber, as fed by the normal cycling of the magazine would be to achieve consistent seating.

There is a popular notion that doing so eliminates or reduces the likelihood of a first shot flyer.

What up with this? A buddy and I were out fine tuning our Grendels, getting ready for the deer gun hunting season. With my 18" Liberty/Saturn Grendel barrel I'm getting a cold bore shot about an 1.5" low which I have noticed before. After that it groups fine. With my buddies 16" AA Grendel this does

The mechanics of it seem sound to me, but I've never had the issue with first shots from rounds chambered by releasing the bolt catch or slingshotting the charging handle.
      Last edited by NugginFutz; 01-03-2014, 01:34 AM.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Try this to see if it has to do with loading by hand. Load 1 rd in mag only. Fire it. 1.5 low right? Load 1 rd in mag only do it again. Where did that impact? Do that a couple of times. Then you'll know if it is a cold bore issue or a hand fed round issue. Some guns seem to throw the hand fed round to a different poi than the ones self fed for some reason.

Comment

Kamrr4437,
          I'm firing my reloads, no factory ammo.

Noone,
          Never had anyone else shoot it cold bore, if the opportunity come up I try that. Leaving a round in the chamber is not an option because of WI firearm transportation laws but that wouldn't change the fact it's still a cold barrel.

mimiller1,
          I've chambered both from the magazine and manually loading a round, either way I still got the low cold bore shot.

For the moment, I'll be compensating my cold bore shot but I will starting a cold bore shot log, as suggested by the USAMU video. That could be helpful.

Comment

Drink plenty of water, eat well, and relieve yourself before hitting the range. Do not consume any caffeine. Set up your position while staring at the target, not the bench or ground. Get into a nice, comfortable position with a good rear bag, and go to sleep on the gun for 15 seconds, with your mind focused on putting a bullet through the center of the target. Go into several dry-firing drills, paying close attention to maintaining a great sight picture throughout the process of taking the shot.

Once you feel yourself enter the shooter's zen, single-feed your first round and see what happens. Then repeat this process with your 2nd-5th rounds and record the group. This should help diagnose several things at once:

* Cold bore shooter will be eliminated with dry-firing.
            * The action's initial chambering without a buffer pad inertia bump will be duplicated with each single-fed cartridge.

Either the 1st round flyer will reappear, or it will disappear. If it disappears, move to a new aiming point on the target, adjust your natural point of aim to that point, and dry-fire into zen again.

Go to a 5rd magazine and chamber from bolt catch, then fire each round from the solid position into the new aiming point. Report the results.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Drink plenty of water, eat well, and relieve yourself before hitting the range. Do not consume any caffeine. Set up your position while staring at the target, not the bench or ground. Get into a nice, comfortable position with a good rear bag, and go to sleep on the gun for 15 seconds, with your mind focused on putting a bullet through the center of the target. Go into several dry-firing drills, paying close attention to maintaining a great sight picture throughout the process of taking the shot.

Once you feel yourself enter the shooter's zen, single-feed your first round and see what happens. Then repeat this process with your 2nd-5th rounds and record the group. This should help diagnose several things at once:

* Cold bore shooter will be eliminated with dry-firing.
              * The action's initial chambering without a buffer pad inertia bump will be duplicated with each single-fed cartridge.

Either the 1st round flyer will reappear, or it will disappear. If it disappears, move to a new aiming point on the target, adjust your natural point of aim to that point, and dry-fire into zen again.

Go to a 5rd magazine and chamber from bolt catch, then fire each round from the solid position into the new aiming point. Report the results.
              All good solid advise but no coffee? I get headaches if I don't get my morning 16ozs. OK, I'll give it a try, I'm printing this out and putting in my range bag. Next time out no coffee.

Comment

Caught you! You coffee cold bore shooter!

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Caught you! You coffee cold bore shooter!
                  And if you normally use tobacco products, it can throw off your shot if you are without….

Comment

Working...
                  X