• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SHORT-N-SASSY
    Warrior
    • Apr 2013

"The 6.5 PRC is on the left next to the 6.5 SAUM/GAP 4S." ---

(http://www.longrangehunting.com/thre...4#post-1276683)
    Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 04-12-2018, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
      Warrior
      • Oct 2014

i have a gap 4S i put together using a savage model 12 action & a bartlein barrel (26'') I haven't had much time to play with it this year- but have good 140gr eld loads with H1000 & ramshot magnum, & recently found a good load
      with 147grain eld's with retumbo (3150fps) I have not been able to shoot to distance, but now that the crops are coming out maybe I'll get to see if the loads hold up at 1000yds & beyond.
      -mike

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
        Warrior
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
        i have a gap 4S i put together using a savage model 12 action & a bartlein barrel (26'') I haven't had much time to play with it this year- but have good 140gr eld loads with H1000 & ramshot magnum, & recently found a good load
        with 147grain eld's with retumbo (3150fps) I have not been able to shoot to distance, but now that the crops are coming out maybe I'll get to see if the loads hold up at 1000yds & beyond.
        -mike
        Mike, how does the Cartridge Overall Length (COL) of your 6.5mm SAUM/GAP 4S loads compare with the 2.825" shown in the November 14, 2013 article, 6.5mm Short Action Ultra Magnum article ?
        (http://www.sincityprecision.com/6-5m...-ultra-magnum/)

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

looks like those were berger vld's in the article, I usually run hornady stuff. I ran 140 amax at 2.809" col, I ran 140 eld at 2.821" col , and 147 eld at 2.861" col I'm seating each about 15 thousandths off the lands.
          It is a fun caliber, (6.5 PRC looks to be nearly identical). I will say the 1st gen Hornady brass had loose primer pockets from the get-go. I got some 3rd gen hornady brass and so far, so good.
          -mike

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
            Warrior
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
            looks like those were berger vld's in the article, I usually run hornady stuff. I ran 140 amax at 2.809" col, I ran 140 eld at 2.821" col , and 147 eld at 2.861" col I'm seating each about 15 thousandths off the lands.
            It is a fun caliber, (6.5 PRC looks to be nearly identical). I will say the 1st gen Hornady brass had loose primer pockets from the get-go. I got some 3rd gen hornady brass and so far, so good.
            -mike
            Mike, thanks for the clarification.
            _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

ETA:

(GAP (left) PRC (right)
            Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 11-16-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
              Warrior
              • Apr 2013

Under the heading, The Challenge is On!, I today emailed the following request to CMMG, Inc. President, John Overstreet:

Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 11-16-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                Warrior
                • Apr 2013

I closed with:

Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 11-16-2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
                  John, here's the latest.

I just got off the phone with "Mitch" in the Engineering Dept. at Hornady Manufacturing. He confirmed the statement I received from GA Precision, earlier today, "We [GA Precision] recently returned test samples [Hornady factory 6.5mm GAP SAUM brass] to Hornady. And, they looked good! We're waiting to hear from Hornady re a production date."

Mitch clarified that this initial production of factory 6.5mm GAP SAUM brass is assigned to GA Precision (It's ready to load, use in 6.5mm GAP SAUM chambers). And, interested parties can contact GA Precision for the Hornady factory brass. Mitch suggested that this initial factory production lot should be delivered to GA Precision, around Thanksgiving.

Mitch and I shared the hope that the popularity of the cartridge will prompt Hornady to offer factory-loaded 6.5mm SAUM ammunition, in the future.
                  When 0.095" shorter, is better:

(http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?to...8328#msg138328)
                  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

ETA:
                  (http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?to...8362#msg138362)
                  Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 03-23-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2013

With the decision to load their new 6.5 PRC long, Hornady leaves short-action auto-loading shooters coming up short. Part A

I today e-mailed the following message to Jason Hornady, CC: George Gardner, 6.5 Guys, Accuracy Systems ---

See Part B.

Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 11-16-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2013

With the decision to load their new 6.5 PRC long, Hornady leaves short-action auto-loading shooters coming up short. Part B

Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 11-16-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2013

Applied Ballistics Internal Magazine Dimensions (COAL) Chart, 5.56 - 50 BMG
                        (http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/...ineLengths.pdf)

Section that applies to the above Post:

Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 11-16-2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                          . . . But I always root for the success of efficient 6.5mm cartridges, so if the .26 Nosler deserves to come to market, this cartridge deserves a place in the market 10 times over.
                          And, I agree:

(https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precisio...-7781/#i105217)
                          Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 04-15-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

Not trolling.

So a standard action is now a long action.

A short action has become a standard action.

Now we have mini or micro action.

What is the deal/hype?

Large short fat case (most of the U.S. Poup.), itty bitty bullet?
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Doon
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2015

I have just purchased a Savage 12 stainless 270 WSM action and are seriously considering a build in the 6.5 Saum or the 6.5 PRC.
                              Looking at the specs I am leaning towards the PRC just because it is already available with regards to brass, reamers and factory ammunition etc.
                              Both great cartridges but not much difference between them in the real World unless I have missed something!!!

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Doon View Post
                                I have just purchased a Savage 12 stainless 270 WSM action and are seriously considering a build in the 6.5 Saum or the 6.5 PRC.
                                Looking at the specs I am leaning towards the PRC just because it is already available with regards to brass, reamers and factory ammunition etc.
                                Both great cartridges but not much difference between them in the real World unless I have missed something!!!
                                Doon,

I think it's fair to state that either cartridge would work well in a Savage Model 12 action, which magazine inside length is approximately 3 inches. That said, consider the following:

AR-type rifles (with some restrictions on magazine capacity) are legal for civilians to own, in New Zealand;

New Zealand Army adopts LMT AR-10 for new Designated Marksman Rifle;
                                (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...arksman-rifle/), related article, (https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...itains-l129a1/)

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij7b1te6LHo) See 5:42 - 5:54

Now, consider the AR-10 rifle, shown above, chambered for the .308/7.62x51mm NATO cartridge, vs the AR-10 rifle, below, chambered for a short-action magnum cartridge (the .300 Winchester Short Magnum, in this case). Both, auto-load, flawlessly ---

The 2.955" Max C.O.L. of the Hornady factory-loaded 6.5 PRC prohibits its use in the short-action auto-loading AR-10.

As you no doubt are aware, the 6.5 RSAUM is presently available as a loaded cartridge from the Copper Creek Cartridge Co. And, I'm doing my best to get Remington to add the 6.5 RSAUM to their list of factory-loaded cartridges, as well:
                                (https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precisio...-7781/#i105217)
                                (https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precisio...-7781/#i106030)

In short: Whereas, the typical C.O.L. of the 6.5 RSAUM allows the shooter the choice of bolt-action or auto-loading rifles, the 2.955" Max C.O.L of the Hornady factory-loaded 6.5 PRC limits the shooter to bolt-action rifles, only.

Good Luck, on which ever you choose.
                                Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 05-02-2018, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X