X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shooter545
    Warrior
    • Aug 2012

Very slick! That is a good looking rifle. I'll bet it will be a hammer.

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Buster View Post
      He went with a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm, M5B2 Front Focal Mil-Dot Reticle:

That is a very nice set up. Did you weigh the barrel before you installed it? I have the same but not fluted and it is an extremely lite rifle with that barrel setup. One thing I haven't ventured into is that stock and Mark at PF swears by them with the metal adjustments channel but what do you think?

Comment

• Buster
        Warrior
        • Mar 2012

I did not weigh it but seems like I saw on the Lilja site, the fluted version was like 2.16 lbs. Total weight (bathroom scales) of the unit as it sits in the above pic (no mag or ammo) is 8.5 - 9 lbs. It is stock heavy. I'm not that crazy over the UBR stock, but it is well made with positive locks. I guess stocks, like any things else is a personal preference....

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

I did not weigh it but seems like I saw on the Lilja site, the fluted version was like 2.16 lbs. Total weight (bathroom scales) of the unit as it sits in the above pic (no mag or ammo) is 8.5 - 9 lbs. It is stock heavy. I'm not that crazy over the UBR stock, but it is well made with positive locks. I guess stocks, like any things else is a personal preference....
          What stock do you like? I'm considering a UBR, maybe a trade is in order?

Comment

• Buster
            Warrior
            • Mar 2012

I really haven't found a carbine length stock that I'm crazy about. I really like my PRS, but have plain Jane A2's on my other rifle length AR's.
            But I put this unit together for #1 son and he wanted an UBR.
            He has since seen the LUTH-AR MBA and he may be waffling toward it...we'll see..

Comment

• Buster
              Warrior
              • Mar 2012

Range day today:

Comment

• Buster
                Warrior
                • Mar 2012

Here is what it looks like with the Luth-AR stock on it:

If the weather cooperates, I'll shoot it tomorrow

Comment

• Lonehill
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2013

Nice build. I've got a UBR on my .223. It seemed heavy at first, but it balances out the rifle so good, you really can't tell. I really like that it is just as solid as an A2 but collapses down. Really nice to have when you've got a long barrel AR working in and out of a vehicle, UTV, or hunting blind. I've heard that it is the only collapsible recommended for use with the .50 Beowulf. It's solid and tough. Love how easily it extends out to your preset position. WAY more adjustable for length than the PRS. Seems the high rise cheek rest is the main selling point of the PRS. Personally, I have to use extra high rings anyway to get a comfortable weld, the last thing I need is to go higher than stock. Gonna swap my 6.5 upper back and forth over onto this Spike's lower with the UBR. I'll need the collapsibility and counterbalance when I get my suppressor attached to that 22" barrel and turn it into a 30 incher!!

Comment

• Buster
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2012

I finally had the opportunity to turned this unit over to #1 son. Smile from ear to ear!
                    Let's see what he will harvest with it later on.....

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

I finally had the opportunity to turned this unit over to #1 son. Smile from ear to ear!
                      Let's see what he will harvest with it later on.....
                      He's a lucky man, Buster. A very nice build.
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Ditto. A son can cherish a rifle his father built forever.
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Buster
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2012

This was a super-duper, fun build and even better when it shot exceptionally well.

The really funny part was when we started a "Grendel Shoot-off"....his against mine...betting $5/target.
                          After MANY targets, I left with one, five dollar bill in my pocket...and a "You shoot more than I do,,,,You built it,,,You practice more than I do...". All I heard was "blah blah blah".........but after we left the range, all was forgiven and forgotten when I pulled in to the beer store....

My pleasure was in seeing him shoot it VERY well for the first time.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Awesome! Good memories like that shared together with our kids are priceless.
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• cory
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2012

This was a super-duper, fun build and even better when it shot exceptionally well.

The really funny part was when we started a "Grendel Shoot-off"....his against mine...betting $5/target.
                              After MANY targets, I left with one, five dollar bill in my pocket...and a "You shoot more than I do,,,,You built it,,,You practice more than I do...". All I heard was "blah blah blah".........but after we left the range, all was forgiven and forgotten when I pulled in to the beer store....

My pleasure was in seeing him shoot it VERY well for the first time.
                              So now it's time to build an Grendel SBR, with a Lilja Barrel right? It can be for the future grandkids. HAHAHA

Glad to hear that build worked out so well for you.
                              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X