X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAM2940
    Bloodstained
    • May 2013

Well i went ahead and ordered the Mega side charge upper yesterday and got a tracking number, so will see how things go and will let you know how fast the young bcg gets here.

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Well that answers that and guess you need to call them. They will have more uppers in a a week he said. There getting anodized right now. Give them a call though, good info..(208) 881-0570 ask for Jim...

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by RAM2940 View Post
        Well i went ahead and ordered the Mega side charge upper yesterday and got a tracking number, so will see how things go and will let you know how fast the young bcg gets here.
        where did you get yours? Sold out at Rainer for a few days..

Comment

• RAM2940
          Bloodstained
          • May 2013

I found them in stock a stonefire arms, called them up but they are having phone issues, so ordered over internet on tuesday. But i think i got the last one, it now shows out of stock.

Comment

I love mine. Great product.
            Attached Files

Comment

• RAM2940
              Bloodstained
              • May 2013

Anyone looking for a Mega side charge they have 8 available at JSE surplus. Thought i would tell everyone.

Comment

So I'm new to the Grendel (so new in fact that I don't own one yet but am looking for one), and have the opportunity to buy a used one. A Quality Arms one, no less. I was searching the forum for info on the side charging and came across this thread and thought maybe this is a good spot to ask my question.

Here is the description:
                You get the gun and a very nice pair of LWRC Pop up iron sights. Has a Magpul ACS Stock and Tactical Ergogrip. Comes with 190 brass (even though I've shot less than 100 rounds through it), brass was collected from other shooters, and 300 Hornady reloadable bullet tips that were $40 per box of 100 each. Also comes with the Blackhawk Sportster 9-13" Retractable and pivot bipod. Just bought this beast a few months back is all and am only selling due to some bills, priorities, and other things going on. Gun is not even close to being broken in yet and is in brand new condition, its just been sitting in the gun safe and slicked and cleaned up. Also comes with 2 extra $30 magazines. (3) 24 round magazines and (1) 10 round mag total. Also comes with a custom 6.5 Grendel reloading book. Lastly, it has an additional $180 Rock River Sportster 2 Stage Trigger kit.

has less than 100 rounds through it. Its not even broken in yet. Asking 1800. Only came with one magazine, but I bought 3 more @ $35 each and each box of Hornady Ammo to reload was $35 also. The bipod is $50 as well.
                So the Grendel rifle with:
                • LWRC Pop up iron sights
                • Magpul ACS Stock
                • Tactical Ergogrip
                • 190 brass
                • 300 Hornady reloadable bullet tips
                • Blackhawk Sportster 9-13" Retractable and pivot bipod
                • 2 extra $30 magazines
                • (3) 24 round magazines
                • (1) 10 round mag
                • custom 6.5 Grendel reloading book
                • $180 Rock River Sportster 2 Stage Trigger kit

He has it listed at $1800. I offered him $1500. Said he would sell it to me for $1700.

Good deal?

Comment

• Keep The Change
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2013

As far as the deal on the gun, it sounds like a decent deal. Need to know what kind of lower, barrel, and handguard before a definitive answer is givne.

Comment

• Keep The Change
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                    I've been talking to the owner for some time and will be getting one too as soon as he has them ready next week. They are top notch and there is no worry, extra thick and Billet. There isn't much side support needed on an upper and if you compare his to a Mil-Spec forged upper then you will understand that Quality Arms is way stronger. Also the ASA has a slot down the left side for the charge handle too and from what I here it isn't Billet, it extruded. Nothing wrong with them except more expensive, just different processes and both are heavier than a Mil-Spec forged.

Tedward,
                    I too am a little concerned about the amount of material is removed for the left charge/right eject upper. I'm not saying they are making anything that is dangerous or unreliable but there is a lot of material missing. With the higher power of the 6.5 Grendel and additional barrel whip, I would hate to lose that extra material in the upper. Saying that I'm tempted to get a left charger anyway. Because if I wanted to single load rounds while at the range, it would be really nice to have.

The billet material is actually a tad weaker than a forge material. I'm talking about 7075 billet vs forged. What makes billet upper/lower better is that they are typically thicker in all the good spots than a forging, which makes them stronger.

Comment

• Tedward
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2013

I don't know if they put one thru the sledge hammer test and also understand that billet is more brittle as the grain is length wise rather than formed around the curves and so on. Billet it's not weaker, it has different manufacturing processes. Like a log with no knots. A forged is like trying to split a log and it has a knot in it, pretty hard and holds together even by a twisted piece of the grain.

The pressure of the Grendel has no bearing on the upper as the carrier and bolt take that force and it is just sliding inside the channel at the bottom of the upper receiver. A light weight milspec forged upper would most likely flex more and have less rigidity than QA Upper or almost any Billet Upper. Each to there own and the upper in post #35 looks like what I want so maybe QA will offer a left charge and right eject one day. Right now he is on the path he is on and in time things always seem to change. One point he did make was you can pull back on the left hand charge and load a longer OAL round easier being able to reach in both sides. So you could load ammo easy that doesn't fit in the mag, like when using 140GR pills.

Comment

• Ridgerider

Listen guys the round goes bang in the chamber and the part of the upper in contact with the barrel is the same as a mil spec upper (barrel extension and upper threads and barrel nut). As Tedward has tried to explain all the upper does is allow the bolt to move smoothly in and out of chamber and attaches the lower to the upper. We make ambidextrous charge and right eject but most users set it up with left charge right eject. Our best seller is the ambidextrous charge ambidextrous eject which was first shown as a different model by Quality Arms at the 2011 shot show with upward automatic ejection port doors using a standard unmodified bolt carrier, which according to one manufacturer of left handed guns was imposable. Ours and Spirit Arms are the only uppers made as side chargers at this time others mentioned are modified rear charge uppers with the rear charging handle still in place as an after thought or no longer made. Our bolt carrier without the forward assist serrations, the cut out to open the door and made to fit our upper and is not a standard carrier drilled and tapped to accept a side charging handle. We make side charge ambidextrous rifles from 17 Remington to 50 Beowulf that's right all are available with left bolts for left eject. Now we have the original ambidextrous eject upper with approx 13500 rounds through it and should anybody want to test it then please contact us and lets make arrangements to get it in your hands. Why not watch the short video on http://www.qualityarms.net/ as we explain the ambidextrous upper. I know i would rather have .25 thick billet aluminum upper than the standard forged upper used also with Beowulf.

Comment

I would buy it for that price. I would get it and change out the trigger though. But for all the products it's a good value.

Comment

Let us know if you like the bolt release setup after u shoot it. I'm thinking it may get in the way.... But I don't have one, so let me know, if you will

Comment

• Tedward
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by sureshot View Post
                              Let us know if you like the bolt release setup after u shoot it. I'm thinking it may get in the way.... But I don't have one, so let me know, if you will
                              If your talking to Ridgerider, he has used them from day one, do you get it, he makes them. Buy one and tell us about it.

Comment

• Keep The Change
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2013

Ridgerider,
                                I'm in no way bagging on the product. As I mentioned I'm tempted to get a left side charger for my Grendel. I still might in the future, I just can't afford to make the switch right now. I have so much other stuff to buy for this build right now.

As far as billet vs forged, absolutely the billet upper is stonger, but not because the material properties of the billet are better than forged, because they aren't. The billet uppers are stonger because they are beefier. I agree with you, I would prefer the beefier billet upper/lowers as well. My point in the earlier post was that the billet material is not stronger than a forged, but the billet uppers are stonger because of their beefiness.

My only concern with the large amount of material removed on a left hand side charger is that you remove a lot of "meat" where load is typically transferred through.

There is no doubt though, that a left hand side charger can easily handle the forward and back motion of the carrier. There is probably insignificant side load caused from this. My only concern is from the barrel whip action. I understand the area where the barrel is attached is per mil-spec and probably even better. However, the whipping action of the barrel puts load into the front of the upper and that load does travel towards the back of the upper. Now how much load, probably not a ton and the margin of safety is probably plenty. Also with the beefier front end of the upper, it should have to transfer less load to the back than a forged, mil-spec upper.

I just brought it up because it is a lot of removed material and that just catches my eye as an engineer. Please don't get me wrong, it just a conversation on my part and I didn't intend it to be a knock on any of the products out there. I'm not criticizing your product at all. It's actually very cool and I appreciate the market place being creative and innovative in making a better machine. Keep up the good work.

Like I said I would probably buy one right now if I wasn't on a budget.

Comment

Working...
                                X