My New Savage 6.5 Grendel Build !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Savage 6.5 Grendel Build !

I just bought a used, but in new condition SA Savage, I will get it out of gun jail in a little over a week.

I called Effie at Savage and ordered the bolt face, follower spring, and box mag case for a 7.62x39.

Also ordered a Boyd's Tacticool stock.

I will be ripping the gun apart soon as I get it, I will bead blast the receiver and cold blue.

I'll be buying a 28" barrel from McGowen in a 1/8 twist in a Douglas 7-W profile ... big but not to heavy.

Is there anything I've left out ?

What bases would you put on, I have one piece, but do I really need 20moa base on this gun ?

I plan on some target shooting, 400-800 yard gong shooting, that type of thing.

Next step is dies and powder ....any ideas ?

I'm making a nice functional gun, but not going to spend huge bucks on fancy stocks, custom bolts, that type of thing ... BTW, this is my first build :-)

Thanks guys.

wll

Just ordered a matte large handle bolt, and a ground barrel lug !

If all things go together well, this should be quite a shooter

wll

Comment

That's going to be a monster target barrel for sure.

Your base needs will depend on your scope elevation travel. Most of the high-end scopes don't really need a 20 MOA base for within 1000yds. You should be able to push the 130gr VLD up to about 2680fps with a 28" barrel and the right powder.

BjornF16 is getting 2585fps with the 129gr Interbond from his 20" Savage using CFE223. In the bolt action, you are able to take advantage of the Grendel case's 60,000 psi pressure capability, but slower-burning powders can help keep peak pressure down.

At 800yds with the 123gr A-MAX going 2750fps, you will only have 6.7 mils of elevation at sea level, 59 F. What State do you live in? This rifle will be capable of reaching well past 1000yds, so you might consider an MOA cant base for when you find an opportunity to shoot at farther ranges.

I would get a good sizing die, maybe with bushings so you can keep control of how the brass gets worked, and get a Forster or other micrometer seating die. You will be able to play with seating depth much more since you have a bolt gun.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

With my 28" barrel and Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 I need a 10 MOA base to get to 1000 using Factory Amax ammo. I actually run a 20MOA to give me a little extra room.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          That's going to be a monster target barrel for sure.

Your base needs will depend on your scope elevation travel. Most of the high-end scopes don't really need a 20 MOA base for within 1000yds. You should be able to push the 130gr VLD up to about 2680fps with a 28" barrel and the right powder.

BjornF16 is getting 2585fps with the 129gr Interbond from his 20" Savage using CFE223. In the bolt action, you are able to take advantage of the Grendel case's 60,000 psi pressure capability, but slower-burning powders can help keep peak pressure down.

At 800yds with the 123gr A-MAX going 2750fps, you will only have 6.7 mils of elevation at sea level, 59 F. What State do you live in? This rifle will be capable of reaching well past 1000yds, so you might consider an MOA cant base for when you find an opportunity to shoot at farther ranges.

I would get a good sizing die, maybe with bushings so you can keep control of how the brass gets worked, and get a Forster or other micrometer seating die. You will be able to play with seating depth much more since you have a bolt gun.
          Well I just ordered the barrel, it should be a monster for sure.

It is a Douglas 7-W contour so it is about .930 at the muzzle, barrel weighs about 6 lbs.

We will see how this project goes as time goes on.

Thank you guys for the mount info, it is very helpful, I plan on feeding her a diet of 123gr AMax's ;- )

PS: I live in the high desert of California.

wll
          Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

For your loading dies, as LRRPF52 indicated, pick up the Forster set with the Micrometer seating dies.

Then pick up a Redding 6mm PPC bushing Neck die and load it with a 290 bushing.

Job done.

Comment

• wheelguner
              Warrior
              • Oct 2011

I am a big Savage fan and wonder if you have discovered http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ yet. As much as I like Savages I REALLY don't like the Accutrigger and used their Competition Trigger on my 204 Ruger. They offer just about anything you will need for Savage Bolt Guns.

I look forward to hearing updates on your project.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
                I am a big Savage fan and wonder if you have discovered http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ yet. As much as I like Savages I REALLY don't like the Accutrigger and used their Competition Trigger on my 204 Ruger. They offer just about anything you will need for Savage Bolt Guns.

I look forward to hearing updates on your project.
                On my Hog Hunters I have the Accu-Trigger and like it as it came from the factory about 2.5lbs +.

Yes I like Sharpshooter Supply. When I get this gun out of gun jail I will work on the trigger, this gun does not have an Accu-Trigger. I'm looking at setting it about 1.5 lbs, for me that will be fine.

If it starts giving me fits, then I'll get a custom trigger, although I'm pretty good at tuning triggers, have done it on my Rem 700's and Thompson Contenders.

wll

Comment

• wheelguner
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2011

I have friends that like the Accu-Trigger too but it never felt "right" to me. I never could adapt to a Glock either and the only two stage trigger I own is the Kidd on my IHMSA unlimited any sight pistol built on a 10/22 style action. Different strokes.

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
                    For your loading dies, as LRRPF52 indicated, pick up the Forster set with the Micrometer seating dies.

Then pick up a Redding 6mm PPC bushing Neck die and load it with a 290 bushing.

Job done.
                    +1

I have a Redding seating die with micrometer and use the Redding 6mm PPC bushing Neck die for my bolt Grendel.

You'll want to load longer than AR15 magazine length to make room for the extra powder. You'll be treading where just a few have been with Grendel (or Grendel Max). As LRRPF52 said, look at the slower powders. With that stick, I'd consider 130 Bergers (pointed to get .600 B.C.)

That will be one monster stick!
                    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                      +1

I have a Redding seating die with micrometer and use the Redding 6mm PPC bushing Neck die for my bolt Grendel.

You'll want to load longer than AR15 magazine length to make room for the extra powder. You'll be treading where just a few have been with Grendel (or Grendel Max). As LRRPF52 said, look at the slower powders. With that stick, I'd consider 130 Bergers (pointed to get .600 B.C.)

That will be one monster stick!
                      What powders would you go with ?

wll

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

I would start with CFE 223 or LeveRevolution and see what results you get. You could also try Ramshot Big Game, VV540 or BL-(C)2 (dirty though). There are others as well.

Check the burn chart at http://hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
                        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Well,

My Boyd's Tacticool stock will arrive today, my McGowan 28' Douglas 7-W contour barrel was ordered last week and just so happens they were running a batch and mine got put in the mix ... the barrel is on its way and I'll receive it DEC 3rd !

Ordered 100 Lapua brass and a set of "go, no go" gauges. Picked up 4 lbs of IMR8208 at the gun show last week .... the only thing I need are A-Max bullets and as of now they are no where to be found !

My barrel nut remover came in, and I believe I pick the gun up Saturday ....which gives me Sunday to take the barrel off, remove the scope and put all that stuff for sale ;- )

My bolt face and magazine parts have not come in from Savage yet.

Update : Savage parts will be in on December 2nd ;- ) ........ I love it when a plan comes together.

I'll keep you posted !

wll
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wll View Post
                            Well,

My Boyd's Tacticool stock will arrive today, my McGowan 28' Douglas 7-W contour barrel was ordered last week and just so happens they were running a batch and mine got put in the mix ... the barrel is on its way and I'll receive it DEC 3rd !

Ordered 100 Lapua brass and a set of "go, no go" gauges. Picked up 4 lbs of IMR8208 at the gun show last week .... the only thing I need are A-Max bullets and as of now they are no where to be found !

My barrel nut remover came in, and I believe I pick the gun up Saturday ....which gives me Sunday to take the barrel off, remove the scope and put all that stuff for sale ;- )

My bolt face and magazine parts have not come in from Savage yet.

Update : Savage parts will be in on December 2nd ;- ) ........ I love it when a plan comes together.

I'll keep you posted !

wll
                            Want to finish as soon as I can .... ordered primary Arms 4x14x44 FFP scope today !

This is coming together quick !

wll

Comment

Originally posted by wll View Post
                              Want to finish as soon as I can .... ordered primary Arms 4x14x44 FFP scope today !

This is coming together quick !

wll
                              My go and no go gauges came in today. My used Savage got out of jail and in one half hour it was taken apart and the pieces gone up for sale ! The action came apart with to much hassle, no bluing salts or ? to contend with, plenty of oil on the threads. This gun was sold as used, but never shot !

Took the DBM parts and put them in a Tacticool stock, they fit perfectly for a mod10 FP-SR that is turning ino a DBM gun, the other Tacticool I have will be used for the new Grendel build !

Barrel comes in on the third, scope on the 5th I believe, and then we put her together and pictures will come !

wll

Comment

Working...
                              X