Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter

Questions about my first AR build???

I bought a blem Spikes lower at least 5 years ago, and bought a RRA NM 2 stage trigger and LPK. I bought it with the intention of building a Grendel, but have never been able to find an upper or barrel/bolt combo at the gun shows or found them in stock online.

I had found and saved an article on the Snipershide forum years ago about building an accurate AR, but the link no longer works. If anyone has any good links or post on accuracy build tips please post them. The only thing I've found in 2 days of searching is mostly barrel, ammo, and shooter ability related. I did find one post on another forum that talked about rigidity of the upper and making sure that the upper was "square" to the bore and a link to tool on Brownells for the tool and how to lap the upper til it was square.

I plan on building a hunting rifle with good accuracy on a budget. Yes I know, accuracy and budget don't belong in the same sentence, but hoping it can be done.

Parts so far are the Spikes Lower, RRA NM 2 stage trigger and LPK. I have ordered an 18" Liberty barrel and bolt.

Planning on ordering a Diamondhead USA VRS "T" 13.5" rail. I like the engineering of the system and appears very rigid. I am also considering the VLTOR MUR upper with forward assist. What other uppers should I look at considering rigidity/beefiness of the upper.

Looking for recommendations for the rest of the build based on a budget.

thanks,
    CC
  • XcountryRider

The only difference for building a Grendel and any other AR is the amount of torque you put on the barrel when you screw it on. Its close to 60lbs vs the 30 some lbs for a 223. Thats basically it. So any youtube videos will be helpful it does not need to be specifically for building a grendel.

Comment

• customcutter

XCR,

Thanks for that info. I had read that the torgue specs on the 5.56 were from 30-80#'s. Also have read that the lower that value was that the less "torque or distortion" that was imparted to the upper, and therefore the better the accuracy. That was also another thing I liked about the Diamondhead hand guard, not having to line up the gas tube with notches on the nut. I also watched a couple of youtube video's, one by a competent gunsmith (some others I wasn't so impressed with). It seems like a pretty straight forward assembly, compared to head spacing a bolt action.

Edit: Just found some more info when I did a search for barrel nut torque. Migh help someone else also.

Hey guys, Just got my AA heavy-profile 20" barrel delivered yesterday, and was hoping to get my rifle all assembled this weekend (have all the other pieces/parts in a box at home). I have assembled a few ARs for friends, but all used barreled uppers, so my work on the upper was limited to installing dust cover, forward
      Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2013, 10:37 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
        The only difference for building a Grendel and any other AR is the amount of torque you put on the barrel when you screw it on. Its close to 60lbs vs the 30 some lbs for a 223. Thats basically it.
        Perhaps I missed the memo, but I've never noticed where a handguard manufacturer recommended a different barrel nut torque based on cartridge. Can you share any additional information?

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
        If anyone has any good links or post on accuracy build tips please post them.
        Link: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ffers-answers/
        Last edited by Drifter; 11-24-2013, 01:53 AM.
        Drifter

Comment

• customcutter

Drifter,

thanks I have that one on my favorites now for easy reference. Not sure I agree with every thing there, but some things worth addressing for sure.

CC

Comment

• XcountryRider

Comment

• customcutter

XCR,

I watched both videos on the build. I know he was using a plastic/rubber malet to drive the barrel into the receiver, but I couldn't help but cringe. Seemed funny that he mentioned talking with Bill Alexander and torquing to 60#, and used locktite on the barrel extension to bed it to the receiver, but didn't use it on the threads? IIRC I read where Bill said they use locktite on the extension and the threads?

I've probably read close to 500 post in the last couple of days. Seems that everything from 30-120# has been done, and some are locktiting the barrel extension to receiver, some are not. Some are locktiting the barrel nut threads and some are using anti-seize compounds. I'm thinkng 60#'s sounds reasonable and I'll be triple torquing the nut. I'll do a little more research before deciding on locktiting the threads or anti-seize??? I'll also be checking the receiver to make sure it is square to the bore, and lapping if necessary before assembly.

thanks,
              CC

Comment

You do not want to go over 80 ft-lbs. Per Bill Alexander, if you are installing a heavy barrel and are looking for the most accuracy, then bedding the extension makes a lot of sense.

If you are installing a lighter profile barrel that is shorter, like 18" or less and medium contour, he said he has seen no need for it (bedding). On a budget, there are a number of things you can do to drop the price down, and it's a buyer's market right now, so there are a lot of deals to be had on uppers, lowers, carriers & BCG's (5.56), LPK's, furniture, etc.

Comment

• customcutter

LRRPF52,

Hoping to stay in the 50-60# range. Several things I liked about the Diamondhead handguard. The proprietary nut that doesn't have to align the gas tube with a slot or hole in the nut. The tight tolerances and rigidity. Also it looks good and should be very comfortable in the hand. I know I'll pay extra for that but I think it's worth it.

I'll be using an 18" Liberty barrel, so if I have a tight fit between the upper and barrel I'll fore go the locktiting on the barrel extension. Any thoughts on locktiting or anti-seizing the threads? I read Bills comment in one thread and IIRC he stated that the locktite kept the threads from galling, which is the primary purpose of the anti-seize???

thanks,
                  CC

Comment

Bill doesn't like white lithium grease because it rots, and has a foul stench to it when it does.

I like some type of grease on the threads to prevent galling, but I also am using Cerakoted uppers most of the time that I have done myself.

More importantly, I like a nice blended barrel extension and feed ramps. I also lap the bolt to the lugs, radius the ejector, and do some other things to reduce brass abuse. I made a cut Grendel case with an internal spring to lap the lugs so there is evenly distributed load from the bolt lugs to the extension teeth. It's a common practice for custom rifle builders.

Comment

• Tedward
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                      LRRPF52,

Hoping to stay in the 50-60# range. Several things I liked about the Diamondhead handguard. The proprietary nut that doesn't have to align the gas tube with a slot or hole in the nut. The tight tolerances and rigidity. Also it looks good and should be very comfortable in the hand. I know I'll pay extra for that but I think it's worth it.

I'll be using an 18" Liberty barrel, so if I have a tight fit between the upper and barrel I'll fore go the locktiting on the barrel extension. Any thoughts on locktiting or anti-seizing the threads? I read Bills comment in one thread and IIRC he stated that the locktite kept the threads from galling, which is the primary purpose of the anti-seize???

thanks,
                      CC
                      I like the Diamond heads too and the barrel nut works great. I have one on a Grendel with the 16" Barrel. I found this place that was the best price at the time. This is a 10.25" with my 16" but your 18" Barrel might look good with a 13.5".

US GUN SOURCE out of stock today but just keep watching. Changes weekly.

Comment

• customcutter

I've been searching for info or procedure on lapping the lugs on AR bolt. I haven't found anything on this site from 2 days of searching. I just did a quick search on google and found a few articles where others are asking about the procedure.

Does anyone have a link? Also wouldn't this change the headspacing on the barrel bolt combo???

thanks,
                        CC

Comment

I pulled this up in a few seconds:

The concept is the same for the AR15/AR10, however, you can fabricate your own lapping tool by cutting a culled Grendel case in half, place a spring in it, remove your ejector from the bolt, then lap the bolt to the extension by cycling the charge handle back and forth. When I do it, I make sure the CH latch does not slide over the latch notch on the upper to reduce wear there (steel vs. aluminum).

These are common gunsmithing techniques, and pretty standard on NRA hi-power rifles.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            The concept is the same for the AR15/AR10, however, you can fabricate your own lapping tool by cutting a culled Grendel case in half, place a spring in it, remove your ejector from the bolt, then lap the bolt to the extension by cycling the charge handle back and forth. When I do it, I make sure the CH latch does not slide over the latch notch on the upper to reduce wear there (steel vs. aluminum).

These are common gunsmithing techniques, and pretty standard on NRA hi-power rifles.
                            You mean something like this?
                            LappingCase.jpg

What type of spring did you select?
                            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

That is perfect. I also used my chamfer/de-burr tool to chamfer the edges at the cut, so that it wouldn't have any sharp edges to combine with carbon or lapping compound and screw up my chamber. I only place a small amount of lapping compound on the lugs, since that is the only area being lapped.

I think I used an M16A2 rear sight spring. You do need to remove the ejector from the bolt, and I have the Brownell's AR15 tool for that-makes it an easy job.
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-25-2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X