Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwilson1985

a real long shot

ok i know alot will say its not posable but but im wanting to try a 1500-1700 yrd shoot it my 18" 1-8.75 twist barrel once a load is worked up now for the critics ive seen a 20" 308 hit a 1540 yrd target so lets hear yals input thanks
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Doable, yes, but not consistently repeatable. Using a 123 Hornady Amax, you would be getting around 2400-2500 FPS from that barrel. Lets say 2500 FPS.

At 1500 yards you have 120 feet of drop, thats 90 MOA, and 21 feet of drift in a 10 MPH wind. Velocity is still over 900 FPS, though.

At 1700 yards you have 175 feet of drop, thats 117 MOA, and close to 30 feet of drift.

You can get there, but more chance than anything if you hit something!

Comment

I agree, it is really stretching it and it could be done on a day where there is ZERO wind and hopefully a warmer day (a few more fps)

That is really .260rem and up territory.

Comment

• jwilson1985

ya i understand that compleatly and i know ther is alot better rounds for that range...but it dont have to be consistent if i can get it on video once lol ..i just have it in my head i can do it may take me 60 rds hahaha but i want this round to hit that far for satisfaction

Comment

• jwilson1985

anyone know what the record is distance wise with a grendel

Comment

To hit what? The round can probably fly 3 1/2 - 4 miles and you can hit a mountain at max distance.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
              ya i understand that compleatly and i know ther is alot better rounds for that range...but it dont have to be consistent if i can get it on video once lol ..i just have it in my head i can do it may take me 60 rds hahaha but i want this round to hit that far for satisfaction
              JW:

OK -- you have received solid advice from the more knowledgeable people here.

I am curious and am sure others are too so let me ask these questions.

What is the target size, what distance, and where (geographically) will you do your blasting?

How will you know that a hit wasn't just chance? Or, does it even matter?

How will you know you even hit at that distance?

Finally -- what loads do you intend on testing?

LR55

Comment

• MrSurgicalPrecision

Video? Are you trying to show me and JonA up?

You better have some serious glass and some lathe turned solids if you're going to have a chance at this. I've been wanting to experiment with the lighter GS Customs myself. Best of luck, if you get it on video make sure you post it as a video response to one of my long range Grendel vids on YouTube.

Comment

• jwilson1985

i have access to a 1800m flat feild i have very good glass to see if i hit or not, im going to try 1600yrds where im at is about 635asl as far as luck issues go im a marksman im not going to be sattisfide with one hit... not really sure on target size yet nothing rediculis though ....mrsurgical i like ur videos not trying to out do anyone just self satisfaction

Comment

anyone know what the record is distance wise with a grendel
                    There was a shot at 1200m soccer ball sized target

Not able to give more details.

Obviously it was not done for the sake of seeing if it would work, sometimes you need to deal with what you have.

IIRC the target was far below so the drop was not an issue. Huge cosine.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2011, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

i have access to a 1800m flat feild i have very good glass to see if i hit or not, im going to try 1600yrds where im at is about 635asl as far as luck issues go im a marksman im not going to be sattisfide with one hit... not really sure on target size yet nothing rediculis though ....mrsurgical i like ur videos not trying to out do anyone just self satisfaction
                      JW:

What type of 'very good' glass is your observer using to spot trace and splash to 1500 yards off of a 6.5mm bullet?

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by z06man View Post
                        To hit what? The round can probably fly 3 1/2 - 4 miles and you can hit a mountain at max distance.
                        Haha. True.

Comment

• jwilson1985

got a konus m30 6.5x25x44 on the rifle and spoting scope is a swarovski 20x60x80
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2011, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• jwilson1985

not trying to be smart but im a shooter and i like a challange im not going to put a plate up the size of a bus and try to hit it lol ...i like do do what others tell me is dumb ,yes it may take me a lot of trial and error but i wont quit in till i can see if the round is just not able to do what i want it to do

Comment

I also have easy access to ranges in excess of that. Just send me your ammo and I'll do the shooting for you. I promise...

Comment

Working...
                              X