Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stephencraig

Are AR Stoner barrels any good...

For long range accuracy? Haven't seem much on them when I read about the LD Grendal builds.

Stephen
  • XcountryRider

They are Satern made 5R Button rifled barrels and yes they are but they tend to run fast. I have two a 24in and a 18in and will have a 16in this Friday.

Comment

• Everrest
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2011

One of many threads.
      Midway has the 16" in stock.
      This conversation has been spread out over a couple threads so i decided to consolidate the conversation. To sum up 5R rifling is providing higher velocities with the grendel. 5R rifling doen't have the 90 degree angles which means higher velocities and less copper fouling. Hornady 123 Amax measured from my and a friends

Comment

• stephencraig

They also have the 24" in stock, which is what I am looking at. Thought I would want a 24", but just read there are 28" ones available, so not sure which one to get now. Will a mil-spec or beefier upper (link the Grizzly) support a 28" barrel?

Stephen

Comment

I had a 24", it was just too long for hunting IMO. I cut it down to 21" and still did not like it. The friend who has it now loves it, and has killed several deer with it this year between 200 and 300 yards. I bought a 16" and 18" to put in the safe for now, I don't think you can buy a better barrel for so little money. I have never seen anyone comment on long range (300 plus yards) accuracy either, but I don't think they are made for that. Wait on a cut rifled barrel from Satern, Kreiger, etc. if that's what you want.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2014, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• stephencraig

jurassic, was the 24" an AR Stoner (or actually a Satern, as stated above)?

Stephen

Comment

AR Stoner.

Comment

• XcountryRider

A AR Stoner barrel (Liberty) barrel will give you tight little sub MOA groups at higher than average velocity for a Grendel. The Satern cut rifle barrel will give you even smaller groups with overlapping holes.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                  They are Satern made 5R Button rifled barrels and yes they are but they tend to run fast. I have two a 24in and a 18in and will have a 16in this Friday.
                  A AR Stoner barrel (Liberty) barrel will give you tight little sub MOA groups at higher than average velocity for a Grendel. The Satern cut rifle barrel will give you even smaller groups with overlapping holes.
                  Wait, is Liberty the same as Satern?

Comment

• XcountryRider

Liberty barrels are Saterns button rifled barrels. They only sale them it lots of 12 or more not individually like their cut rifled barrels.

Comment

• stephencraig

Bummer, thought it was in stock, it's not...

Stephen

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Liberty barrels are Saterns button rifled barrels. They only sale them it lots of 12 or more not individually like their cut rifled barrels.
                        AR Stoner is a trademark owned by midway, as I understand it. Essentially their house brand barrel. At the time being and the relatively recent past they've all be manufactured by Satern.

Satern is a barrel making company that specializes in superbly accurate cut rifle barrels.

Liberty was an independent barrel making company that specializes in button rifles. Some time ago Satern bought Liberty and absorbed them. Now Satern provides the "Liberty" barrels to midway as their AR Stoner Barrels.

I believe some time ago between Liberty closing it doors and Satern absorbing them, the AR Stoner barrels were not Liberty barrels.

One of y'all that has been following the Grendel longer than I have, please correct me if I'm wrong.
                        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Tedward
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2013

Close enough. Satern sells the Liberty Button Cut Barrel to dealers in lots of 10+. http://saternmachining.com/liberty_barrels__
                          from time to time you can get over runs. Or sometimes they make exceptions like they did for this forum last round.

They sell to Midway and they sell them as the AR-Stoner. I've shot a 24" AR-Stoner with over 1,000+ rounds and out to 300 yards lately. It still groups in a 2" ring and yes I have some outside the 2" area but I blame myself for being excited and lack of scope. Trigger pull and nerves also cause bad shots. Once I get relaxed and into it for 20 to 40 rounds, drills the 1" to 2" groups. I just got a new scope so I'll see if this helps which I'm sure it will, but all in all, good barrels. Makes a good hunting rifle.
                          Last edited by Tedward; 01-01-2014, 03:25 AM. Reason: link

Comment

Working...
                          X