Accuracy1st training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking very forward to your After Action Review. Please record a "lessons learned" mental logbook as you go along, because there is going to be a ton of information that you will absorb. Wish I was going with you, as I highly respect Todd and his experience.

Comment

• Heywood
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

That sounds like a lot of fun, hope to see a detailed review soon. This is why I got into the grendel, I hope to be able to get to a few classes then some competition.
      quis posuit in mea ocreis bologna!

Comment

• bigbear_98
        Warrior
        • Aug 2013

I am at work so I will have to do more of a post later. To the point of equipment. There were two things that were highly recommended. A Kestrel with AB, not Horus, and any scope with Tremor 2 reticle, or Horus. BUT.... IT wasn't pushed as buy this it is the only way. It was "here are some things we have developed, we like it, we have seen great things happen because of them, and we recommend them." They showed us how to make any equipment work. There were no infomercials or anything like that. They had a TON of equipment from many different makers for us to look at. "THis is something we have tried and like. There may be other things out there, but this is what we like."

We were able to use anything he had and compare to what we had. I am happy with all of my equipment. It performed well.

The things I got out of the class were, a lazer range finder is invaluable. Any range finder that works. Lots don't work past normal shooting distance. Knowing DA is invaluable, hence the KEstrel. We were able to use a Kestrel through the class. After truing the data on both the Kestrel, my Ballistic AE iphone app, and the Whiz wheel, I could compare the three, make a shot, and see which was right. All three were. Your ballistic calculator MUST have a truing feature. Wind sucks.

After the class My cousin and I were putting hits on 12 plates at 1100 yards with ease. Anything under 800 was easy. I have complete confidence in my equipment both my 308 and my 6.5 Grendel. I learned how to watch trace from a bullet all the way to the target.

ETA: I also learned that your bullet can fly accurately, predictably, and precisely after it goes subsonic. This is the main reason to have an engine you can true. My 308 is subsonic at ~1060. I was hitting at 1174.
        Last edited by bigbear_98; 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• bigbear_98
          Warrior
          • Aug 2013

148 Grendel

149 308

Wasn't a set number I had to shoot. I shot when I wanted, and shot as much as I wanted. I am a range whore and love it so I shot until dark both days. We didn't get on the range until just after lunch. I tried hitting every target they had on the range. Only one I had difficulty with was the 1 mile. I couldn't even begin to see where I was hitting nor could a spotter. My scope wouldn't come close to getting there. I was stacked into the clouds so I stopped after about 4 rounds into thin air.

Comment

Any pics? Glad you had a great time. What are the numbers "148 Grendel, 149 308"?

Comment

• bigbear_98
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Any pics? Glad you had a great time. What are the numbers "148 Grendel, 149 308"?
              I wasn't smart enough to take any pics.

Numbers were round count.

Comment

What were Todd's impressions or comments on the Grendel, and has he had them come through any courses before?

Comment

• bigbear_98
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  What were Todd's impressions or comments on the Grendel, and has he had them come through any courses before?
                  Todd wasn't there. It was his instructor Pete. He seemed like he thought the round was cool. He took one of the cartridges to investigate it more, so I don't think he had seen it before.

Comment

• customcutter

Originally posted by bigbear_98 View Post
                    I don't think he had seen it before.
                    Same response I get when I've asked about a Grendel upper or barrel at Gun Shows. I guess the word will get out one day.

Sounds like you had a great time. Furthest I've ever shot was 300 yds, oranges stuck on welding rods. Maybe one day.

Comment

Working...
                    X