• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Buck down with 123 SST

It's been a great year of deer hunting here in Alabama so far this year. My son killed a large doe (119 lb) last week at 85 yards with my 16" Grendel (123 SST, 28 gr XBR 8208). We recorded the hunt on video, but haven't had a chance to edit the film yet.

The following evening, I sat on the ground in a thorn-choked drainage ditch over looking a bedding area along a river. The wind was perfect for this setup; blowing directly from the bedding area towards me.

About 3:30 in the afternoon several does came into the field. I soon heard an extremely large crashing sound coming from two bucks fighting in the thick cover. Soon a large 8 point busted from cover and was running across the field in front of me. When he stopped at about 110 yds, I put a 123 SST in the boiler room. He staggered a few yards and went down.

He weighed 195 lbs and is a heavy mainframe 8 pt.

The rut is just now kicking in here in NW Alabama, and the next couple of weekends should be exciting hunting.
    The 123 SST has performed well this year with 6 clean whitetail kills so far.
    Best,
    PA_Allen

Awesome buck! I love reading/hearing about this kind of thing as it gets me pumped up to keep going out there.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Excellent! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.
      Drifter

Comment

• customcutter

Very nice buck. Total penetration with the SST's? Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Congrats very nice buck!!

Comment

• PA_Allen
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
            Very nice buck. Total penetration with the SST's? Thanks for sharing.
            I've gotten total penetration on all the deer this year except for his buck. I don't think I got an exit wound but I have not been able to do a good study of the bullet path. The buck is hanging in the walk in fridge and I hope to study the bullet path later this week. Regardless though, he didn't go but a few yards after the shot.
            Best
            PA

Comment

How was he presenting to you?

Excellent harvest.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                How was he presenting to you?

Excellent harvest.
                Thanks! Slightly quartering away. He was very large bodied; about twice the size of a typical doe around here.

- PA

Comment

Cool story beautiful thick rack

Comment

Holy s*^t that's a nice buck. Thanks for the story and sharing your experience.

Comment

• Y85
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2012

Beautiful deer - congrats

Comment

• CrabbyMcNab
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2011

Very nice. Deer season is winding down in Maryland. A few weeks of bow left and that's all she wrote.

Comment

Well done! I love the mass on that buck!

Comment

Congratulations on a very nice buck. I'd really like to see the recovered bullet if you ever recover it.
                            A rutting buck in January seems odd to me. How long does the rut last down there?

Comment

• PA_Allen
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wiuprof View Post
                              A rutting buck in January seems odd to me. How long does the rut last down there?
                              It was strange to me as well when I first moved here from TN. The rut in NW Alabama usually starts about Jan 1 and peaks around the second week in January. In some areas in south Alabama the rut does not occur until early February! What's odd is that just a few miles north in TN the rut will peak around Thanksgiving.

- PA

Comment

Working...
                              X