Multi-Gun Training/Fun Comp September 18-20 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Gun Training/Fun Comp September 18-20 2014

By popular demand, I am hosting a 3-day Multi-Gun CCW, Carbine, Intermediate Range Rifle Training & Competition Event this September 18th-20th, to include both Day and Night live-fire in practical scenario-based settings.

Day 1

* CCW Pistol training in the morning
    * Lunch
    * Close Quarters Carbine Marksmanship Training Afternoon
    * Dinner
    * Night CCW Training in Cowboy Town!

Day 2

* Designated Marksman, intermediate carbine and rifle training (great for hunters as well)
    * Lunch
    * Intermediate Marksmanship training over the canyon, use of terrain, positional shooting
    * Dinner
    * I'm considering starting the competition with some night stages.

Day 3

* Culmination exercise/competition involving fluid movement and use of trained skills
    * Lunch & awards ceremony

Stages would involve defensive practical pistol scenarios, fun carbine stages including accuracy/speed drills, run-and-gun, clearing the Cowboy Action Village, intermediate range carbine, and long-range stages.

The Range Complex is the North Springs Shooting Range just outside of Price, Utah. It is one of the most amazing shooting centers I have seen anywhere in the world. There are your standard 1000yd, 600yd, 100yd bermed-in flat ranges, all with steel already provided by the range.

Then you have automated target tracks in the pistol bays, a Law Enforcement Training Center with moving targets, a shoot house, a Cowboy Action village that is off the charts, and a canyon where you shoot off the edge from various points at steel.

There is a wonderful pavilion complex in the middle of the Cowboy Action shooting village, complete with kitchen, picnic tables, and overhead cover from the elements, with a nice outdoor feel as well.

It is accessible year-round with paved road as well, and is only 15 minutes outside of Price. Looking for posts indicating serious interest. Let's keep the thread free from noise, and only those who would truly be willing and able to attend something like this once we have more specifics on dates.

From Los Angeles, it is 10 hrs 18 minutes /$379 in gas to the range.

From Seattle, it is 14 hrs 48 min. / $542

From Boise, it is 7 hours

From Las Vegas, it is 6hrs, 8 min.

From Phoenix, it is 9hrs 36 mins. / $329 gas

From Denver, it is 6 hrs 27 mins

From Helena, it is 9 hrs 43 mins

From Albaquerque, NM it is 8 hrs 21 mins

From Houston, it is 22 hrs 29 mins driving

This is the address to the facility if you want to calculate your trip, to get an idea of what travel considerations you will have if we do this:

5245 South 8000 West
    Price, UT 84501

Round Count will be different if you are attending both the training and competition, vs. just the competition.

If attending the Training and Competition...

Pistol: 600rds ( I will try to get a night fire course approved as well.)
    Carbine: 600rds
    Precision Rifle/Carbine: 350rds

Just the Competition:

Pistol: 150rds
    Carbine: 150rds
    Precision Rifle/Carbine: 120rds
    Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2014, 11:02 PM.
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

I'm in. What do you think the round count would be for this?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• explorecaves

I would love to attend but I doubt I would be able to attend in the next few years though.

Comment

Updated tentative round count in the OP.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

I'm in also. A course descriptions ,round count, schematics, volunteer RO's that will be needed, etc. I'm sure more details would come later but this sounds like just what Ive been looking for.

Comment

Here's an example of one of the practical defensive pistol drills I like to use in my CCW courses. It's a combination of:

* Retention drill from concealment

* Box drill

Then working some basic natural weapon violence in with the punching pads. These are pretty slow, but focusing on accuracy so that the vital zone hits are exactly where they need to be, then build in scenario-based violence with live-fire. The goal is for you to have some practical skills with a handgun that will really come into play in conversational range encounters. A lot of work goes into developing a good draw, index, and anatomical zeroing of the body/firearm system when shooting from retention, since you are too close to use sights before you have a chance to create distance. After distance is established, then you can go into your two-handed grip of preference.

Just a little taste of one of the many things I do in a CCW course.

Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2014, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

I'm in, and I'll help anyway possible.

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Here's an example of one of the practical defensive pistol drills I like to use in my CCW courses. It's a combination of:

* Box drill

Then working some basic natural weapon violence in with the punching pads. These are pretty slow, but focusing on accuracy so that the vital zone hits are exactly where they need to be, then build in scenario-based violence with live-fire. The goal is for you to have some practical skills with a handgun that will really come into play in conversational range encounters. A lot of work goes into developing a good draw, index, and anatomical zeroing of the body/firearm system when shooting from retention, since you are too close to use sights before you have a chance to create distance. After distance is established, then you can go into your two-handed grip of preference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9KaNuV7huM
                This is my kind of training, I think your on to something

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

1100 miles, 17 hours from Fort Worth.

Depending upon specifics, I'd like to attend.
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Here's a most excellent series of videos you can start studying if you are really into stepping outside your comfort zone and seeing what can actually be done with modern repeating arms:

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

* Box drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9KaNuV7huM
                      Do you have anything for someone who prefers to CC on their ankle? Due to my frame and lower back problems I don't like IWB.

Comment

Have you tried ITW appendix? It's a different world from ITW hip, and you have to consider the likelihood that one of your most probable locations for being targeted is while seated in your vehicle.

I have worked out some ankle draw drills, to include while on the move, in the car, but I would say they require more bending than drawing from concealment ITW appendix.

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

ITW? I normally take it off my ankle in the car or carry a larger pistol in the car also.

Comment

IWB=ITW. One of the lessons from the Miami shootout was that your blaster needs to be secure from vehicle impact. One of the agents lost his pistol and glasses in the vehicle ramming action, and was killed fumbling around unable to see well.

Holsters are best, followed by storage solutions in the car. Expedient technique is to have a pistol under a leg sandwiched between the seat cushion and your thigh.

Comment

• rickOshay
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2012

I'm In. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Comment

Working...
                              X