X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waveslayer
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

I think it would be awesome! Let me know the for sure date I will be there. Grandpa grew up in Price..Coal miner.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Late September or early October gets my vote.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Sept-ober-ish is good for me.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Update
          Ok, I just got off the phone with the range management, and September 18-21st is our window. I would like to do Thursday-Saturday to give everyone Sunday for travel time, rest, etc., as I like my Sunday's as a day of rest.

Here's the tentative schedule:

Day 1

* Pistol & Carbine training in the morning
          * Lunch
          * Close Quarters Training in Cowboy Town Afternoon
          * Dinner
          * Night CCW Training in Cowboy Town!

Day 2

* Designated Marksman, intermediate carbine and rifle training (great for hunters as well)
          * Lunch
          * Intermediate Marksmanship training over the canyon, use of terrain, positional shooting
          * Dinner
          * I'm considering starting the competition with some night stages.

Day 3

* Culmination exercise/competition involving fluid movement and use of trained skills
          * Lunch & awards ceremony

This is a family-friendly event and venue, and the Range has even held weddings there. We have a pavilion in the Cowboy Town with a large kitchen, overhead cover for numerous picnic tables, and we will have catering for Day 3's lunch, with the possibility of catering for at least one of the other days' lunches, since I want to be able to stay focused on training, without folks having to bug out to Price.

I'm very excited about this event after clearing my goals with the range management, who I have worked with for the past year on other courses, and this is really going to be a safe, fun-filled opportunity for us to get together, and do some quality shoot training in several disciplines.

Let's start filling the event so I can work out some of the marginal costs, and I will keep to my word about the $500 per head figure for the entire course. For those looking to schedule a family vacation along with this, Moab & Arches National Park is just 2 hours away, and they have excellent rafting trips.

The North Springs Range has Dry Camping and RV Dump available, and is a beautiful scenic Western setting with breath-taking views, very quiet, and is 6,600ft above sea level.

Any businesses interesting sponsoring the event, please contact me via PM or email:

orders@ar15buildbox.com

We're going to have a blast!

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

I already marked it on my calender,a list of recommended equipment, time of payment, etc would be appreciated . thanks for putting this together Paul.

Comment

Tentative Equipment List

1) Positive attitude
              Be willing to learn.

2) Clothing appropriate for Utah in September (i.e.: bikini and arctic suit)

* Rugged Pants (The Crye Precision combat pants have proven to be one of the best options for this type of event.)
              * Light long-sleeve shirts
              * Decent socks and foot gear that your mommy will let you get dirty. Lightweight hiking boots and cushion sole socks will work very well.
              * Knee pads and elbow pads help out a lot for the positional shooting, and are highly recommended.

* Rain parka for inclimate weather, light fleece for evening/night
              * Head gear to protect from sun (yes, I'm still working on that)
              * Gloves appropriate for shooting, with sensitive trigger finger layers, and protection from abrasion and heat. I mostly use aviator's nomex gloves, but for pistol shooting, I find that thinner shooting gloves work better for trigger control.

3) Safety gear:

* Positive attitude, willing to learn and abide by safety procedures
              * Ballistic eye protection or prescription eye wear (sunglasses won't work at night, so clear lens ballistic eye wear is important). Sunglasses will be helpful for the days.
              * Ear protection (electronic muffs are highly recommended)
              * Head lamp or handheld flashlight with fresh batteries

4) Firearms

Pistol
              * Functional handgun, preferably your primary carry pistol with a 1913 light rail, with functional sights, lubricated, and ready to digest several hundred rounds in 3 days.
              * At least 4 functional magazines for your handgun, but 5-10 will make life easier.
              * 600 rounds of quality, brass-cased Pistol ammunition
              * Primary concealed carry holster, preferably a rigid model that allows re-holstering without interference or awkward insertion
              * Pistol magazine pouches or carriers, at least one pouch that holds 2x mags
              * Highly recommended to bring a weapon light that can mount on the pistol
              * Back-up pistol with mags recommended

Carbine
              * Well-built, functional carbine chambered in a center-fire, bottle-necked rifle caliber, detachable magazine fed, semi-auto, with serviceable sights (RDS recommended)
              * 5 functional magazines, preferably 8-12
              * 600rds of ammunition that has proven reliable in the carbine
              * Thick lubrication recommended for carbine
              * Functional sling (2-point quick-adjust sling recommended, with QD attachment sockets)
              * Mounted weapon light with LED bulb, and fresh batteries
              * Back-up serviceable carbine recommended
              * Well built 5.56 AR15's are the most common blaster for the carbine portions of training due primarily to reliability, ergonomics, low recoil impulse, ease of configuring to the user, and accuracy.

DM Carbine, Rifle, Hunting Rifle
              * Functional rifle or carbine suitable for intermediate to long distances (300-600yds+)
              * This is where something like the Grendel comes into play, but you can bring a .308, or even your hunting rifle for this if you like. You will want a low-recoiling system, so a magnum will be fun for maybe 3 rounds, and then not so much anymore.
              * 350rds of quality ammunition capable of 1.5 MOA or better through your rifle (This will cover the training and competition events.)
              * If magazine fed, you will want at least 3 serviceable mags
              * Shooting sling ( I recommend the 2-point quick-adjust sling again.)
              * Quality magnified optic, with quality mounting system. I recommend a variable power scope, with a magnification range with the top end at least at 8x, but 9 or 10x is better. You can get by with a 4x, and I have had students do very well with a high quality 4x Schmidt & Bender Short Dot, but more magnification will help out as you push past 400yds.
              * Tools necessary for scope rings, mounts, and other critical components on the rifle that may need adjustment or tightening.

Equipment
              * Water on your person. Camelbak is recommended, but you'll want at least 2 Qts of H2O on you in the September heat, at altitude.
              * Load bearing gear to hold a few magazines for your carbine and Grendel, rifle, etc.
              * A dump pouch will make life much easier.
              * Cleaning and maintenance kits for your firearms
              * Individual First Aid Kit to deal with blood loss, minor cuts and abrasions, and prescription meds you have
              * Small handheld LED light with fresh batteries
              * Spare batteries for weapon light(s)

You can use the same weapon light for both the pistol and carbine, using the 1913 attachment convenience, but it will be easier to have a dedicated light for the carbine. A G2 Nitrolon with the VTAC mount is hard to beat for price. If you have a 12 o'clock rail, a pistol light can go right there for a convenient, no additional mount or pressure switch necessary configuration.

Looks like this event will be limited to 20 attendees for the training, so reserve your slot now.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

LRRPF52, any chance of getting us a group rate at a cheap motel nearby?
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

OUTSTANDING!!!

Peg my name in for a slot, if you please.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Carbine
                    * Well-built, functional carbine chambered in a center-fire, bottle-necked rifle caliber...
                    Well, that lets me out. My only long gun is an M1 carbine.

Comment

If someone wants to bring an M1 Carbine and burn a few hundred rounds through it, I have no problems with that. Same goes for 9mm, but it might not be as fun for you at 100yds on steel.

Good luck finding some .30 Carbine in stock right now.

Comment

Course is filling up nicely. I'm excited about being able to put this on. This type of event is pretty unique in that it covers several different skill sets in a 3-day period.

Originally posted by cory View Post
                        LRRPF52, any chance of getting us a group rate at a cheap motel nearby?
                        I'm working on this. There's the Riverside Motel in Helper that has rooms for $30 a night, Pillow Talk Motel in Price for $37, and National 9 for $47.

Comment

Just wanted to keep this on everyone's radar, as a lot of forum members might not have seen it.

Comment

There have been a lot of questions about some of the gear. I don't want anyone to look at the list and say, "I can't afford all that crap." and miss out on a great opportunity.

For example, I will provide loaners to the extent that I am capable for whatever you may need.

For flashlights, I use the little AAA battery Streamlight for a pocket carry, so I can illuminate dark areas that present unknowns to me when in the home, around the yard, or out and about at night, as well as within dark rooms and spaces in the day. It's my Every Day Carry light. Very low-profile, high performance, and very low cost, like $15-$20.

Holsters: I like hybrid Kydex holsters with thin clips that allow tucking. Think about what carry positions there are that allow ease of draw from a seated position, as well as standing. For attendees, I will dish out actual curriculum for you to study before the course so that we can basically eliminate classroom instruction. Classroom instruction has a very limited or non-existent role in many of my courses.

In this course, we will basically be packing 5 days and nights of training into 3 days (3 full days plus 2 full nights). There will be a lot of information covered across pistol, carbine, and practical intermediate rifle, so it will be like a Mediterranean 7-course feast of different approaches to mindset, attitude, combative techniques with firearms, and marksmanship.

Comment

• cory
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2012

For flashlights I've recently picked a couple of these.

I haven't put one through the paces yet, but I doubt it would hold up to what my surefire will. That being said I can buy multiple of these for the price of a good surefire, and it utilizes a cheap rechargeable battery, much cheaper than the expensive 123s. It's also very lightweight and bright.
                              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

One thing to consider with high-output flashlights is the blinding factor inside your home. They make great carbine lights outside, but once you get in a house, the reflection from even matte white indoor paint on most residential walls can really blind you. In the "bump in the night" scenario, you're racked out, hear something that takes your alertness up from zero to hero, and you reach for the bedside blaster...

Your eyes were fully adjusted to blissful REM sleep, and then you toggle or activate the high-intensity white LED with hundreds of lumens output, and it looks like the heavens opened up in your bedroom, your pupils recoiling in painful shut-down horror from the wave of starry radiation that was allowed direct access into your slumbering grey matter. Not so fun.

Even the little Microstream will do that to you to an extent. The technology has matured so much in the last 25 years, that my microstream makes the old 4 D-cell Maglights totally worthless, other than their most practical use, which those of you with LE backgrounds are quietly thinking to yourselves.

I like to have my Petzl headlamp for general outdoors use, but it wouldn't be so great in a gunfight, but does come in handy immediately after incident resolution sometimes, especially treating casualties, accounting for people and items, searching while 2-hand working, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X